OPINIONS NEEDED! Part-Time Package handler OR PT SUPERVISOR??

I am a PT Package Handler (PM SHIFT) at a small center with a little over 1 year with the I company. I am a single mother in my mid twenties. I am in need of HONEST OPINIONS.

I am completely torn on what would be the best DECISION TO SUPPORT MY 8 YEAR OLD WITHOUT LOSING VALUABLE TIME WITH HIM THAT CAN NOT BE REPLACED...AND ACCUMULATE SOME SORT OF RETIREMENT BENEFITS.

DO I STAY IN THE POSITION I CURRENTLY HAVE PT, AND FIND A SECOND JOB DURING THE DAY TO UTILIZE THE GREAT BENEFITS???

I have decided becoming a driver at UPS is not something I want to do the rest of my life...I originally thought about going into Supervision (FOR TUITION REIMBURSEMENT PURPOSES) Until I started talking with a few drivers only to find out MANY things Management failed to tell me about after approaching them about the possibility of becoming a SUP. Including Management being NON-UNION, and the possibility of ever going back on local sort slim to none. :/

What would you do if you were in my position?

GetTacosOrDieTrying

What's in the box!!!!!?
Stay union. As a ptsup you have to pay out of pocket for insurance and no job security that the union provides. You make a little more money but in the long run pt package handlers will make more. You can also utilize tuition reimbursement as a pt package handler

upschuck

Even though sups make more now, they pay for their healthcare, and from what I've read elsewhere here, do not have a pension, but match a % on 401k.

SCV good to go sir.

Not everywhere. We do not have it in my district.

If you're doing the job for the benefits, stay hourly. And frankly reading how you were surprised PT Management was nonunion, tells me you should stay an hourly.

This. You could also accrue a lot of hours in one day if you do pick ups and take the shuttle to the airport should you find yourself with enough time. Saturday driving is really easy and only marginally representative of actual driving. I personally would stay at PT package handler just for the benefits. Our health insurance is still very good despite the changes in the last contract. You can always go part time sup later if you change your mind.

clean hairy

If you go to PT Sup, it used to be your shift could be changed.
Once was a PT Sup on a daytime sort, got Married, after returning from the Honeymoon, this person was switched to the Midnight sort.
Don't know if this is still done, switching shifts of PT Sups.

PT Car Washer

You finally hit the one year mark for benefits and two weeks paid vacation and paid Holidays and a bit of seniority for job selections. Give PT package handler a bit more thought and then make up your mind.

I worked at UPS for over 25 years. I was an PT hourly, PT supervisor, driver, FT supervisor and held numerous manager positions. If I had to do it all over again I would be a PT hourly employee and after a few years pick up additional cushy hours as an air driver. There will always be service failures, late airplanes, air packages left in the building in the AM, late drivers in the PM that causes air to miss the airport run etc.

I have seen PT employees make lucrative FT careers doing this. Most get close to 60 hours a week without the stress of a FT package car driver. Did my upper management bosses get mad at this... yes. But why should I stress my supervisors to run out on the road and do it or get grievances for management working under the guise of "service" when I could pay an hourly employee to do it. hope my opinion helps

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If I had to do it all over again I would be a PT hourly employee and after a few years pick up additional cushy hours as an air driver. There will always be service failures, late airplanes, air packages left in the building in the AM, late drivers in the PM that causes air to miss the airport run etc.
If I didn't mind the city I'm in now this is exactly what I'd do as well. AM air is the best gig in our building IMO.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What is a single mother? Is there no dad?

A single mother is a woman who has primary or sole custody of her child/children. This could be for many reasons, ie. father could have died, been abusive, ran off with another woman, couple split up, couple never together and she got pregnant, woman got pregnant thru IVF, etc.