Opportunity to drive approaches, but... (need input)

I have been a part timer for 6 years now. I have a non-work related knee problem where the repetitive motion of pushing in the clutch causes shooting pain depending on how the seat is fixed and positioned relative to the clutch. However, adjusting the seat does nothing to make things better. My knee otherwise is fine when performing other daily activities.

How should I appropriately bring this to light with the people in my hub? I would like to drive given the time I've put in. Given the initial drive test evaluation and driver school use a manual, I fear my knee will be torn to shreds if I have to exert in that way where I would have to shift.

This is not an excuse to get out of driving a manual given I learned how to drive and did drive a car with a manual transmission.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Don't go driving. You might not get put in a truck with a manual transmission but you could and you don't want to ruin what's left of your knees. Also, the job is 10x harder on the knees than working inside due to the in and out of the truck. It's one thing if your knees are shot after driving for 20 years but to start a driving career with bad knees is shooting yourself in the foot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are no manual transmission pkg cars in my center but there may still be some where you work.

TooTechie said it best----to go in to a driving career with suspect knees is a recipe for disaster.

oldngray

nowhere special
We had a driver who was hired off the street who was older and already had bad knees. He only lasted about 10 years before he needed his knees replaced.

Don't go driving. You might not get put in a truck with a manual transmission but you could and you don't want to ruin what's left of your knees. Also, the job is 10x harder on the knees than working inside due to the in and out of the truck. It's one thing if your knees are shot after driving for 20 years but to start a driving career with bad knees is shooting yourself in the foot.
There are no manual transmission pkg cars in my center but there may still be some where you work.

TooTechie said it best----to go in to a driving career with suspect knees is a recipe for disaster.

OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!

NOT A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!!!!

Jfc

I suppose I'd complain if driving one made my panties bunch up too.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Cach has been mighty grumpy lately. No one is complaining about manual transmissions. The guy said he has knee problems so we're suggesting the job probably isn't for him.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

Johney

Cach has been mighty grumpy lately. No one is complaining about manual transmissions. The guy said he has knee problems so we're suggesting the job probably isn't for him.

I could be wrong but I think it was sarcasm as feeder tractors are mostly if not all manual trans.

Ouch

If you take a full time driving job and qualify, then your knee goes really south, it could be career ending situation. 1 it would not be a comp claim. 2 even if you had knee surgery it would not be a guarantee that you would be able to drive. 3 ups could send you to their doc to make sure you can do the job. 4 ups does not have to put you in a position you can handle. A lot of risk to think about.

I thought I was goofy?

images

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We only have 1 driver sup that can drive a stick. It's sad really he's also the only one that trains driver or in general can do the job as I would assume its described.

Back first

If you have 6 years seniority. Why not try and get into a article 22.3 job. Pays less but $27.00 hr is not bad. In our hub we bid this February.

oldngray

nowhere special
22.3 jobs usually require a lot of seniority. Older drivers jump on those to try to finish out their time to retirement. Even if they take a cut in pay to do it because they are worn out from daily grind of package delivery.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you have 6 years seniority. Why not try and get into a article 22.3 job. Pays less but $27.00 hr is not bad. In our hub we bid this February.
6 years wouldn't even get u to sniff article 22 in most centers. Plus where are you getting $27 an hour from?