Optional day denied a month later. Book off?

zuma76

I requested an optional day for this coming Saturday 9/30 about 5 weeks ago. I can't work. Have had plans for about 6 months.

This morning I got a text from my boss saying, "I can't approve your optional day on Saturday. There are too many people off"

Is my only option just to book off?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I guess those other guys put their days off in before you did, 5 weeks ago, right? Or is it they don't care if it's approved or not when they have plans and your local management knows who they can bully.

Which is it?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Usually the first
Which I'd have no problem with. Unfortunately, when someone's name is approved for the day off, and someone else says "I'm taking the day off, approved or not" two days, for example, beforehand, management likes to take the easy way out and simply deny the person they think they can make come to work.

I've seen it happen over and over to guys who rarely take days, while the habitual attendance problem guys get a pass when they call out because "he's always calling in, but we gotta cover this route". It's also why management looses control of a center, is failure to follow up and discipline these employees. Finally when the regular employees get tired of being dicked over, it's when management wants to take a hard stand, by then it's too late and everyone says piss on it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Correct but they don't approve them till a week ahead of time.
That's what they don't understand. You could tell them today about something 6 months from now. Doesn't matter. If a 25 year guy puts in for it in 5 months and 3 weeks he gets it over you. Not saying it's right. Just how it goes.

zuma76

Which I'd have no problem with. Unfortunately, when someone's name is approved for the day off, and someone else says "I'm taking the day off, approved or not" two days, for example, beforehand, management likes to take the easy way out and simply deny the person they think they can make come to work.

I've seen it happen over and over to guys who rarely take days, while the habitual attendance problem guys get a pass when they call out because "he's always calling in, but we gotta cover this route". It's also why management looses control of a center, is failure to follow up and discipline these employees. Finally when the regular employees get tired of being dicked over, it's when management wants to take a hard stand, by then it's too late and everyone says piss on it.

Ya it kind of sucks.. I don't have much seniority so they can just try to bully me. I'm pretty certain I was the first to request it. Sucks the rules are always a weird grey area.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Ya it kind of sucks.. I don't have much seniority so they can just try to bully me. I'm pretty certain I was the first to request it. Sucks the rules are always a weird grey area.
No gray area kid. Seniority rules Listen , just tell em you won't be in that day. It's not the end of the world.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The OP didn't say he was approved 5 weeks ago. He said he requested it 5 weeks ago. As with @Gumby, you can put your request 3 months or 3 weeks in advance, they still don't get approved (by seniority) until a week before the requested day.

zuma76

That's what they don't understand. You could tell them today about something 6 months from now. Doesn't matter. If a 25 year guy puts in for it in 5 months and 3 weeks he gets it over you. Not saying it's right. Just how it goes.

That's crazy. I didn't even know this was the rule. I mean if I requested it off 5-6 weeks ago obviously its a day that I can't make it to work. So I'm hoping they aren't going to expect me there.

oldngray

nowhere special

Here you need to give 8 working days notice to request an option day off. An 8 hr request only needs 24 hours.

zuma76

The OP didn't say he was approved 5 weeks ago. He said he requested it 5 weeks ago. As with @Gumby, you can put your request 3 months or 3 weeks in advance, they still don't get approved (by seniority) until a week before the requested day.

Correct. To be honest I assumed I was all set. I never really request days so I didn't know I wasn't approved.

542thruNthru

Correct but they don't approve them till a week ahead of time.

Not here, though everywhere is different. Here you put in all your requests at the beginning of the year. That goes by seniority. After that it's firsts come first served even with vacation.