Organizing STOPS in DIAD

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Your supervisor knows exactly how many stops you have off and how many you have left at any time.
Once your route is set up with ORION there is no thinking anymore. Just follow ODO and let the chips fall where they may.
This company has taken years of a drivers area knowledge and thrown it out the window. We are now nothing but human robots programed with IE's interpretation of the best way to run a route.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your supervisor knows exactly how many stops you have off and how many you have left at any time.
Once your route is set up with ORION there is no thinking anymore. Just follow ODO and let the chips fall where they may.
This company has taken years of a drivers area knowledge and thrown it out the window. We are now nothing but human robots programed with IE's interpretation of the best way to run a route.
Finally! Somebody figured it out!
When is everyone else going to fall in line?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I don't know about you, but my DOL has been cut up like a fish over the years by bozo's in supervision. They know better than us drivers.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not likely. 10-12 years ago, maybe. Now, if a diad takes a dump, a replacement is run out. Leaving the building without a diad is complete BS.

When my DIAD takes a dump and I can't get it rebooted properly I will call it in and have the sup running out a new one to me call when he is close so I can tell him where I will be since I go back to old school delivering and do it my way. I'll just take pictures of the barcodes with my iPhone when make each delivery. Then when I get my replacement DIAD (which should already be preloaded) I just scan all the bar codes in my phone and carry on my way. A dumping DIAD will not set me back.

barnyard

KTM rider
Wow. I do not know that I would have ever thought to do that.

I write down the last 4 numbers of all the packages I deliver and do the 'find number' thing. I suspect your way is significantly faster.

Although since we went to EDD/PAS, it has only happened to me twice. The 2nd time, it was close enough to a spot to take break, so that is what I did and just waited for a supe.

Last edited:

didyousheetit

Clearly our company spokesperson need not worry about you taking his/her job.

To the OP: routes are set up in the DIADs using a DOL (Delivery Order Listing), which is the logical order of streets the driver will follow from start to finish of his deliveries. Packages are scanned by the preload and EDD is established. The driver uploads EDD before starting his day. After he delivers a stop it drops out of EDD. He goes through his day until all of the packages in EDD have been delivered. He will then start his pickups, which are listed in the pickup log in his DIAD. Some drivers use a system called Orion which plans the most efficient way that the route should be run. It is far from perfect but it can help a new driver delver a route for the first time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It absolutely will not under any circumstances help a new driver deliver a route for the first time

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Who/What organizes the 'STOPS' in the DIAD board? Who decides which 'STOPS' go into my route and how they are organized? Are they using some sort of software that helps them determine the order? I'm just curious about how this is SUPPOSE to work versus how it ACTUALLY works.

If a new driver is given a route he doesn't know, how can he run it? Is the ability to run a route effectively ONLY possible with experience?

Just wondering how a new driver runs a route he's not familiar with. I can't imagine someone riding along training him until he know the route. How's it suppose to work? How's it actually work?

Are you still in the US, or have you transferred to the UK?

Just wondering.

govols019

You smell that?
It absolutely will not under any circumstances help a new driver deliver a route for the first time

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes, it will. He might not know where every stop is but at least he knows what's on the truck. That's worlds better than years ago before PAS/EDD.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thanks. Just being a little curious about it all. I thought there may have been SOME advancements or some new way of doing it. Those that I know with oodles of knowledge are the older guys - those that were given the route and told to run it. No DIAD. No Nothing.
Buy some maps and quit worrying about edd

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When my DIAD takes a dump and I can't get it rebooted properly I will call it in and have the sup running out a new one to me call when he is close so I can tell him where I will be since I go back to old school delivering and do it my way. I'll just take pictures of the barcodes with my iPhone when make each delivery. Then when I get my replacement DIAD (which should already be preloaded) I just scan all the bar codes in my phone and carry on my way. A dumping DIAD will not set me back.
not smart. if a claim is filed the GPS will show you weren't at that stop when you completed it. This is visible way beyond Center Level and the claims dept won't know your DIAD went out. NO WAY am i leaving my rear end hanging out like that YMMV

Cementups

Box Monkey
not smart. if a claim is filed the GPS will show you weren't at that stop when you completed it. This is visible way beyond Center Level and the claims dept won't know your DIAD went out. NO WAY am i leaving my rear end hanging out like that YMMV

But the same would happen if my sup would tell me to to write down tracking number and insert it later when I got back to the center or when he got me a new DIAD. I'm guessing from your point of view, the difference is that I was instructed to do so?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you would just sit there until the sup shows up with a new DIAD?

But the same would happen if my sup would tell me to to write down tracking number and insert it later when I got back to the center or when he got me a new DIAD. I'm guessing from your point of view, the difference is that I was instructed to do so?

This is how you should do it----keep going until the new DIAD shows up and then use Find BC to sheet the stops that had been delivered without a DIAD. Taking smartphone pics is also an option but to me would be too time consuming.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I tried that back on diad 4 when I had android and it wouldn`t pick up the barcode. Is should try now with diad 5.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yes, it will. He might not know where every stop is but at least he knows what's on the truck. That's worlds better than years ago before PAS/EDD.
Orion only makes it a nightmare for a guy to learn a route. EDD helped you learn the route because you learn the flow through the area and then learn more and more streets everyday in relation to the flow. Orion making the driver jump all over and back onto the same street for no reason multiple times a day goes against that and is much more confusing. A driver shouldn't have to run that crappy Orion until they know the area.

Indecisi0n

Orion only makes it a nightmare for a guy to learn a route. EDD helped you learn the route because you learn the flow through the area and then learn more and more streets everyday in relation to the flow. Orion making the driver jump all over and back onto the same street for no reason multiple times a day goes against that and is much more confusing. A driver shouldn't have to run that crappy Orion until they know the area.

I agree. When I do routes I know I turn Orion on just to see how it would make me run the route and it is really bad. I tried to give it an honest go but its so far off its useless. The day they put me out on a route cold is the first day I'll run it 100%.