Organizing your package car.

Scuderia1

I know that the pre loaders organize it a certain way. What are some good tips to setup your car to make it easy for the day?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know that the pre loaders organize it a certain way. What are some good tips to setup your car to make it easy for the day?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Are you a loader or driver? If you are a new loader follow PAL. After you gain experience you can start building custom loads.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

Are you coming in a half hour early and working off the clock? If so, you're going to get some grief around here.

I wouldn't waste more than 5 minutes looking at your load in the morning. It is what it is and you get paid to work through it during the day.

If your are in the middle of you 30 day probation, then yes, get in early and figure your load out, but after seniority, don't waste your personal time.

Scuderia1

It is my second week as a driver, still got the training wheels though. For the past 2 days came in 45 min early.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

It is my second week as a driver, still got the training wheels though. For the past 2 days came in 45 min early.

Sent using BrownCafe App

So it sounds like you're going for seniority (as opposed to temp). Yes, start early, go through you're load and take note of the large items on the floor and their corresponding PAL number to determine if they are in the correct area. Sometimes, a loader will put an over sized package in the wrong section because there's no room in the right section. Good to know ahead of time then scrambling to find it on road.

Organize your air stops and have the order properly mapped so you can bang them out quickly.

If packages tend to fall to the floor during driving, push packages back tightly on the shelf. My loader tends to have them hanging a quarter the way off the shelf and on a smooth turn, they fly off the shelf. So I take 30 seconds and push them back. Saves a lot of work later.

Otherwise, things should be loaded in a fair order unless you have a terrible loader.

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you want the preloader to do you a favor, hand him a $20

It's like Colt 45, works every time !!!

colt45WEB.jpg

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Sent using BrownCafe App

In all honesty, always stay in a routine

Keep pickups in one area, leave send-agains under 4000 shelf, leave lookups and SDWC next to your bag so you won't forget them.
If you do the same thing everyday, it becomes second nature

I SMH when I meet a driver that keeps a messy car, easy to forget things and make mistakes

Future

Victory Ride
In all honesty, always stay in a routine

Keep pickups in one area, leave send-agains under 4000 shelf, leave lookups and SDWC next to your bag so you won't forget them.
If you do the same thing everyday, it becomes second nature

I SMH when I meet a driver that keeps a messy car, easy to forget things and make mistakes
Wheres the 4000 shelf?

ManInBrown

Are you coming in a half hour early and working off the clock? If so, you're going to get some grief around here.

I wouldn't waste more than 5 minutes looking at your load in the morning. It is what it is and you get paid to work through it during the day.

If your are in the middle of you 30 day probation, then yes, get in early and figure your load out, but after seniority, don't waste your personal time.

5 minutes is 5 minutes too much. I don't look for 10 seconds. Im in the back for 3 seconds in the morning before PCM. And thats to drop my lunchbox behind the hand truck. I don't even verify airs. First time I take a good look in the back is when I hit my first stop of the day.

But again, if you are in your 30 days do what you gotta do. After that, don't work off the clock for one second in the morning

Pooter

I told my preloader when I was qualifying that I would tip her $50 if she would just put sections 1k and 2k stop for stop. Gave me a head start and shelf space to sort throught the day.

My advice is always sort until you find the missing package. Don't just toss :censored2: around. Put them in sequence.

I don't sort by HIN but by street. I like to group my streets together. To each his own. Try new things and see what works for you.

Just keep moving and sorting.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
30 years ago, there were no diads, no computers, just a preloader who you were at the mercy of. There was a driver who had a delivery area about 20 miles north of me. Problem was, a lot of our streets were a lot alike. I got oak village, he got village oaks, I got sweetgum rd and he got sweetgum st, etc. Invariably, the other guy would get 2 or 3 of my stops and I'd get 2 or 3 of his. You had to run all misloads back then. It wasn't that big a deal for him because he had to drive back through my area to get back to the building, but I had to go maybe 40 miles out of my way. We got to where we would stop at my first stop and park side by side and go completely thru our loads. A supervisor drove by and saw us one day. I got called into the office the next day. The center manager wanted to know why we were pulled over, "stealing" time and give me a good reason why I don't fire both of you! Here we were, trying to prevent service failures, and cutting down on OT, and he accused us of stealing time. I went back to the way it was, and it cost them dearly..I got off once during peak at 11:30pm. On a side note, you know you're getting old when I saw my old preloader get a 25 year circle of honor award.

scisector9

I personally like an organized car. My routine is to not waste much time organizing extensively until my 1-4 shelf and bulk is clear. By this time most of your businesses should be off. At this time I usually take break eat my lunch and take a few minutes to set up the 5-8 by first two pal numbers. Makes running your residential stops a breeze.

Like stated above always try to organize as you dig and go through your day. When my car has room I will sometimes line up next few stops in middle of floor as I go.

Practice and develop your own system. It amazes me how much more efficient I have become in my 10 months driving. Your one look selection process and memory of packages will improve. Once you have been on your training route a week or two you will start associating package appearance with individual stops. Like the eye glass and lace gets small ones the dentist gets benco etc etc. This will carry over to other routes when you start covering also.

With orion sorting becomes even trickier because you have the whole car to deal with. Don't waste time digging out those two 7000 packages they want you to hit in the middle of your air. Get them later on.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Foamer Pyle

I cannot work in an unorganized vehicle, guess I am OCD that way. I do minimal sorting in the morning, but have 90% of my business stops off by noon. I take my lunch from 12 to 1300, then spend about ten minutes organizing the rest of my day, stop-for-stop. So, other than sliding the boxes forward, I don't do any additional sorting, once I have gone through everything. I know you can't do that on every route, but I have the room after lunch.

Sent using BrownCafe App