Organizing your package car.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I cannot work in an unorganized vehicle, guess I am OCD that way. I do minimal sorting in the morning, but have 90% of my business stops off by noon.

If I had 90% of business off by noon, I'd be done by 3pm. Must be nice, 90% for me is about 1630hrs...but I digress...lol

Future

Victory Ride
According to my preloader, next to the 5000

In the back....next to RDR...lol

ummmm Behind the driver seat

colbert-jaw-drop.gif
I must work on the same beltline with you guys.

Last edited:

Future

Victory Ride
Yes truck must be organized to the best of your ability .... after the morning crap storm they throw in there ......as you progress through your morning slowly put the load in a neat fashion... look around ( without moving(unless its in the way) what the larger resi boxes are etc and keep a mental note)... keep your hand cart either strapped or out of your way but secure it....it is your friend but it will bite you if your not careful ... be as neat as you possibly can without wasting alot of early time... once the crap storm has settled you can allow more time to put the puzzle in place.

Future

Victory Ride
30 years ago, there were no diads, no computers, just a preloader who you were at the mercy of. There was a driver who had a delivery area about 20 miles north of me. Problem was, a lot of our streets were a lot alike. I got oak village, he got village oaks, I got sweetgum rd and he got sweetgum st, etc. Invariably, the other guy would get 2 or 3 of my stops and I'd get 2 or 3 of his. You had to run all misloads back then. It wasn't that big a deal for him because he had to drive back through my area to get back to the building, but I had to go maybe 40 miles out of my way. We got to where we would stop at my first stop and park side by side and go completely thru our loads. A supervisor drove by and saw us one day. I got called into the office the next day. The center manager wanted to know why we were pulled over, "stealing" time and give me a good reason why I don't fire both of you! Here we were, trying to prevent service failures, and cutting down on OT, and he accused us of stealing time. I went back to the way it was, and it cost them dearly..I got off once during peak at 11:30pm. On a side note, you know you're getting old when I saw my old preloader get a 25 year circle of honor award.
Jesus you must be 90yrs old, also didnt know feeder drivers delivered resis.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Depending on the route I'm on, and how pissed off I am in the morning I have two VERY different approaches.

After the PCM, while I'm on the clock I'll sort 1-4k if possible before leaving the building. Once I've made it through all that stuff I hit 5-8000 to make the rest of the afternoon easier. (These are usually days when I punch out under 8)

If I'm in a crap mood, all I'll do before leaving the building is check my airs. No sorting or shifting anything around, so when I arrive at my first stop, 70% of the truck is now floor 1,2,3,or 4. Then I just spend the rest of the day digging. Their games are fun to play sometimes

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If I'm on a route that's far enough up the belt that I have to wait anyways, I might as well put it to use.

I never put in sort/load time. If I have 15 minutes of inside building time, I don't see that as my problem

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I'm on a route that's far enough up the belt that I have to wait anyways, I might as well put it to use. I never put in sort/load time. If I have 15 minutes of inside building time, I don't see that as my problem.

My experience is with a very small center. One main belt with an upper belt to feed the lower half. 24-28 routes are the norm. Anything more than 10 minutes of AM time (provided the preload is wrapped) is considered excessive. There is no way they would allow us to sit there for 15-20 minutes sorting the 1000-4000 sections. That just wouldn't happen.

Now, if we are waiting for air or there is some other delay, I will also use that time to go through the car, sorting and checking for misleads; in fact, they will direct us to do just that, yet most of the guys will stand outside their cars BSing.

brostalss

Organization is the key to success.

I go thru my air see if I can knock out anything with it. Then off to my bulk business. Knock that out.

Line up the rest of my business and knock that out.

Then off to my resi. I line it up stop for stop how I run it. So for the rest of the day, it's just grab the next box and go.

jaker

trolling
For me I don't look at anything in the truck until I get on route , I deliver my business which is on the 1000 shelf and stumble though my 2000 shelf for deliveries

After that I pull over and put my whole load on the floor and reload the whole truck the way I want to run it , I lose 20min doing it but it makes the rest of the day easier because I know everything in that truck at that point and I don't have to spend time looking for anything

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Organization is the key to success.

I go thru my air see if I can knock out anything with it. Then off to my bulk business. Knock that out.

Line up the rest of my business and knock that out.

Then off to my resi. I line it up stop for stop how I run it. So for the rest of the day, it's just grab the next box and go.
For me I don't look at anything in the truck until I get on route , I deliver my business which is on the 1000 shelf and stumble though my 2000 shelf for deliveries

After that I pull over and put my whole load on the floor and reload the whole truck the way I want to run it , I lose 20min doing it but it makes the rest of the day easier because I know everything in that truck at that point and I don't have to spend time looking for anything

Do either of you realize how much of a waste of time it is to stop and sort the pkg car?

jaker

trolling
Do either of you realize how much of a waste of time it is to stop and sort the pkg car?
20min like I posted above and your point being what , I might lose 20min in the morning but I am not looking for any stops after that and I am not spending no time in the back of the truck at that point and that is real nice when it's 100 outside and 120 in the back of the truck

So you do what you like and I will do what I like

9.5er

I do not sort. I was told a couple years ago that we were paid to deliver not sort. At the time I used to take my lunch break and then sort the rest of my packages. I was called in the office and asked why I was stealing time.
So from then on I get in the car after PCM and go to first stop. I rarely even move package up to front of car. I know it causes me to walk a little extra but I hate moving the same box more than I need to.