ORION coming

bddaddy

Now that a lot of you have had it for a while, what are your thoughts? I have a few questions - how does it work for base/split cars? Is it really saving time? We have 2 centers in my building and the other one just got it and I talked to a driver who said he's saving 10 miles a day but working an hour or more overtime. That doesn't seem to be saving the company any money.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I took the extra "m" out of the original title, it had me confused and I'm sober tonight.

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Was told my center is getting it soon, too, perhaps as soon as October, but definitely in the beginning of the next year.

I recall reading here that if you end up with at least four misloads in a day, the ORION report becomes invalid. Is that true?

Not looking forward to encounters with disgruntled business customers who'll get their deliveries as I make their pickups, because 'ORION tells me so'.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We don't deliver missloads anymore, that adds miles to the route. Service doesn't really matter anymore. One thing I like about it is I no longer have to help the driver next to me if he has too many NDAs, that messes my "Solution" up.

moldsporh

Don't try to be a hero about it. Don't try to figure it out or waste your time trying to figure it out.

Run the order, tell them you may have late airs, let them tell you what to do.

Take your lunch between the 4th and 6th hour and get on the 9.5 list.

Trust me. I'm not trying to be anti ups, I'm just letting you know it's not worth getting in trouble over. Let your customers contact ups if they are having service issues especially with time of delivery because it will change wildly.

You might save a mile or 2, but waste an hour of pay in doing that.....that part is a fact.

When I say waste, ups will pay you an hour or more to save about a quart of fuel for 1 or 2 miles saved.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Was told my center is getting it soon, too, perhaps as soon as October, but definitely in the beginning of the next year.
Just in time for peak, where one would think they'd want to utilize this tool to it's full glory. I mean a program designed to save miles and give us stop for stop guidance as to the best way to perform our job, why wouldn't you use it? If it's not good enough to demand full use out of it during peak, then one could surmise it's not good enough any other time of the year.

If there are "issues" with the system and not all parts are working, one could wonder why force the use of it, why set us up to limp when we've been walking just fine without it. Do we ask drivers to drive vehicles that are missing a 3rd gear? Do we ask management to use yellow pads to do daily OR reports? Do we ask pilots to use latitude and not longitude when plotting their coordinates? Do we ask preloaders to load packages with pal label in cell phone contract font?

Ask them the reason when they get there and report back please, I've yet to get an answer.

Last edited:

mdnj88

They told us we're saving over 200 miles a day compared to last year. They failed to mention they cut 4 more routes that averaged 55-70 miles each. But yes, Orion is definitely working!!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I think I lost a few pounds due to Orion having me walking more. I'm getting paid to work longer and keep in shape! Thanks Orion!