Orion Compliance (Work as directed)

Jasoonis

I work safe, provide excellent customer service to the customers of my company, and follow the rules that i was taught when I first started my job. I will not follow some stupid algorithm when it tells me to so otherwise, just so the big wigs can say their system is groundbreaking and saves $$$.

I was discussing this with another driver the other day, and he pressed the issue that I must "work as directed". I told him I am, I work safe, make sure my customers receive excellent customer service, and I follow the rules that I received when I was trained. I refuse to follow Orion when it goes against these rules.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I work safe, provide excellent customer service to the customers of my company, and follow the rules that i was taught when I first started my job. I will not follow some stupid algorithm when it tells me to so otherwise, just so the big wigs can say their system is groundbreaking and saves $$$.

I was discussing this with another driver the other day, and he pressed the issue that I must "work as directed". I told him I am, I work safe, make sure my customers receive excellent customer service, and I follow the rules that I received when I was trained. I refuse to follow Orion when it goes against these rules.

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you're stubborn enough to lose your job over it well lets just say I wouldn't want to face my wife afterwards.

barnyard

KTM rider
Many were trained not to wear their seatbelts.

Using the OPs logic, he/she would not wear a seatbelt if it was not included in his/her original training.

Seems stupid.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Many were trained not to wear their seatbelts.

Using the OPs logic, he/she would not wear a seatbelt if it was not included in his/her original training.

Seems stupid.
A better analogy would be if one supervisor instructed the OP to buckle his seatbelt with his right hand and threatened him with discipline for failing to do so, while at the same time another supervisor instructed him to buckle the seatbelt with his left hand and threatened him with discipline for failing to do so. Both instructions are perfectly valid; however both of them are also in direct conflict with one another, thus rendering them meaningless from a disciplinary standpoint.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I imagine if it came down to providing customer service or remaining employed at UPS you would choose the latter over the former.
I guess my boss will get fired then. He went out with another driver to do my route Friday as I took the day off. They were 50% trace and 8 miles over,
Driver last night "we had to keep pulling to make service"
Me ,,Yup told ya.
Driver "your Orion sucks"
Me, Yup I told them.
Driver "boss is P'OED its so bad"
Me "yup I told them"
Driver, "we got done at 6:30 with 129, it was brutal"
Me "yup I told them, too much area, and they give me 140"
Sometimes you just have to step back, take a mental health day, and let them drown in their own bs.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It's not my job to manage the route,make decisions,or to be responsible for anything other than to follow a plan FAR smarter people than me have implemented.
I have no stress,run as close to 100% in compliance as i can and when the truck is empty I go home being VERY well compensated for my efforts.
I think ORION is a big steaming pile but .....................we dont get paid to think.

One thing i LOVE LOVE LOVE about the program is that management is tied up in knots over it. Unless you just murder a customer there is NO time for the penny ante BS over "production" Telematics" or any other of their pulling -wings-off -flies crap they love to throw at us
I have never seen so many stressed out,pissed off unhappy people in my time with the company. they never have good days lol

soberups

I have a feeling things are about to get a bit...interesting for me in terms of ORION compliance.

Our Center Manager just got whacked and our District Manager just retired in the same week so there will be a bunch of new faces and lots of posturing and posing and chest-puffing going on once the new players take their seats and try to make themselves look important. I am also seeing a much greater emphasis on ORION compliance in the last couple of weeks. Since my ORION compliance usually hovers between 40 and 60%, I may very well be the proverbial nail that is sticking out. Looks like I had better put my helmet on and get ready for the hammer.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It's not my job to manage the route,make decisions,or to be responsible for anything other than to follow a plan FAR smarter people than me have implemented.
I have no stress,run as close to 100% in compliance as i can and when the truck is empty I go home being VERY well compensated for my efforts.
I think ORION is a big steaming pile but .....................we dont get paid to think.

One thing i LOVE LOVE LOVE about the program is that management is tied up in knots over it. Unless you just murder a customer there is NO time for the penny ante BS over "production" Telematics" or any other of their pulling -wings-off -flies crap they love to throw at us
I have never seen so many stressed out,pissed off unhappy people in my time with the company. they never have good days lol

Yes I have been getting an extra 10 hours a week, minimum, its a beautiful thing. And Ive been so late, I think I set records, as I have been following it as directed. So yes I am stressed out, because I really dont want so much overtime. So I will have to get on the 9.5 list. I find it hard to do, because, someone wants to pay me 50 dollars an hour to do it, and I find it very hard to fight that, there are people who would kill for that, I did too, 20 yrs ago. My body just doesnt like it anymore.

I also dont like my numbers shown to the whole center so I look like a slug, to people who appreciate those numbers. And I dont like being pulled in the office for it, I do not like stress. I know I know its part of the job, just ignore it, fair days work, fair days pay. I have less stress now that they know it makes no sense.
Apparently one stop I said has to be off by 2, messed up the whole thing. I thought we were suppose to highlight those places to make service. If its going to make the whole route messed up, why do it, I could care less if they get their stuff, its UPS service, not me that is at stake. Its not like I put it in to favoritize this company, its their hours.

So I commend you for being able to embrace it, Im just trying to finish the marathon.
And I had a great day yesterday, I callled off. Its about survival.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have a feeling things are about to get a bit...interesting for me in terms of ORION compliance.

Our Center Manager just got whacked and our District Manager just retired in the same week so there will be a bunch of new faces and lots of posturing and posing and chest-puffing going on once the new players take their seats and try to make themselves look important. I am also seeing a much greater emphasis on ORION compliance in the last couple of weeks. Since my ORION compliance usually hovers between 40 and 60%, I may very well be the proverbial nail that is sticking out. Looks like I had better put my helmet on and get ready for the hammer.

People like you, and I admire you for it, thrive on this crap, you know how to fight. I have spent my whole "career" trying to stay off the radar.

soberups

People like you, and I admire you for it, thrive on this crap, you know how to fight. I have spent my whole "career" trying to stay off the radar.

I don't thrive on it and I really would rather not fight. Lots of wasted effort and negative energy. Like you, I am a fan of staying off the radar. But I wont be bullied either. Hopefully, they will (a) continue ignoring my lack of compliance (b) accept my explanation for that lack of compliance or (c) fix ORION so that I can be in compliance. I would be perfectly happy with any of these outcomes but this is UPS and we don't do things that way. ORION is a square peg, my route is a round hole, and the only tool UPS knows how to use is a hammer. Oh well, I have been here for 27 years and it wont be the first time I have faced the hammer.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I don't thrive on it and I really would rather not fight. Lots of wasted effort and negative energy. Like you, I am a fan of staying off the radar. But I wont be bullied either. Hopefully, they will (a) continue ignoring my lack of compliance (b) accept my explanation for that lack of compliance or (c) fix ORION so that I can be in compliance. I would be perfectly happy with any of these outcomes but this is UPS and we don't do things that way. ORION is a square peg, my route is a round hole, and the only tool UPS knows how to use is a hammer. Oh well, I have been here for 27 years and it wont be the first time I have faced the hammer.

You will always be my unknown hero!!