Orion during peak. They wouldn't dare.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
See?
Right here is the issue that is being created by orion and having to be spoon fed information.
This right here is the future of UPS. If the technology is flawed or breaks down then you have a workforce that is incapable of independent thought and left simply unable to function and get the job done.
A couple of weeks ago in my building they sent a rookie driver out on a bricked out multi-loop split car with about 250 resi stops.
It was tight stuff, 25-30 stops per hour if you knew it and had any common sense, so normally it would have been a non event. But...they told this poor kid that he had to follow ORION.
The result? He had 60 stops off by 5:00 and had not yet touched a package on his 1000 or 2000 shelf and was still not able to open the bulkhead door and walk through the car.
So at 5:00 the call went out to multiple drivers to go meet this poor shmuck and take stops off of him in order to make service on the packages. Every single one of those drivers went over on their miles and none of them followed ORION when the stops were transferred into their DIADS.
Wasted time, wasted miles, forced stupidity, abject failure.
This is our future. This is ORION.

soberups

Dead batteries should no longer be a problem if you have the updated DIAD holders. On-board DIAD charging is one of the best ideas they’ve implemented in years.
But we dont have the updated DIAD holders. Nor is there any chance that they will be installed in our cars at any time in the forseeable future.
So the question is...what kind of an idiot installs functionally useless, battery-depleting software into our DIADS before peak season without first intstalling the hardware to keep them charged?
The answer would be...the same kind of idiot who believes that an algorithm can do a better job of determining the proper order to deliver a route under real-world conditions than an experienced driver with area knowledge.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Bringing missed stops back every day because my DIAD battery went kaput will also throw up red flags. At some point, something will have to give.
You'll get sent an extra battery or they'll install the in cab charger for the Diad.

I'm not sure how having a dead battery would make you miss a bunch of stops though

It’s still worthwhile to get EDD even if you don’t follow ODO. Without it, you’re screwed if your air isn’t in the 1000 section of your load and you have no idea how many packages to look for at each stop...not to mention the time it takes to type in addresses all day. I never follow ODO but always get EDD.
I don’t need it. It’s just a luxury.

soberups

You'll get sent an extra battery or they'll install the in cab charger for the Diad.

I'm not sure how having a dead battery would make you miss a bunch of stops though
1. We have no extra batteries, nor will we be getting any prior to peak.
2. It will be months or even years before we get the chargers installed.
3. The wasted time spent tediously pulling PAL labels off of every package and entering the data in a DIAD upon returning to the building if I have to complete the route without a DIAD is time that comes off of the 70 DOT hours I have available and will result in missed stops.

Brownslave688

3. The wasted time spent tediously pulling PAL labels off of every package and entering the data in a DIAD upon returning to the building if I have to complete the route without a DIAD is time that comes off of the 70 DOT hours I have available and will result in missed stops.
1) you have no idea about that. You don't work in management. Boxes of batteries can easily be ordered.

2) you don't know that either

3) you're predicting volume now too?

You're such a drama queen.

We have very few pal labels to pull. They mostly use a stamp for the hin #s

1) you have no idea about that. You don't work in management. Boxes of batteries can easily be ordered.

We don’t have extra batteries. Can they be ordered, I don’t know? But the fact is we don’t have any. Dead batteries are now becoming a problem.

All UPS has is a volume prediction.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Eaaaaaaaasy money!!!

Brownslave688

We don’t have extra batteries. Can they be ordered, I don’t know? But the fact is we don’t have any. Dead batteries are now becoming a problem.

All UPS has is a volume prediction.
We had that problem this spring and they sent us a bunch of new batteries.

The maps option was a software update. They weren't waiting til everyone had chargers installed which is understandable but they should have had a better plan.

We had that problem this spring and they sent us a bunch of new batteries.

The maps option was a software update. They weren't waiting til everyone had chargers installed which is understandable but they should have had a better plan.
If nothing changes, which I suspect it won’t. I’ll be delivering 100 stops on paper. Since I’ve been instructed to get EDD in the AM. Depending on the route, of course.

Poop Head

Judge me.
If nothing changes, which I suspect it won’t. I’ll be delivering 100 stops on paper. Since I’ve been instructed to get EDD in the AM. Depending on the route, of course.
I'm looking forward to a solid hour plus, every night, back at hq waiting for the board to get enough charge and to input the tracking numbers, lol

soberups

I was told by my management that there will be no replacement batteries.
I was told by my mechanic that there are no chargers available nor would there be any time to install them in the 150+ cars in my building prior to peak.
I have been right at my DOT hours limit every week in the month of December for the last decade. So yes, I am predicting that to be the case again this year.
If that makes me a drama queen then so be it.

JL 0513

A few weeks ago my center manager said UPS will no longer send new batteries "because the chargers are coming". He's tried and it's a no go. So where's the chargers? UPS is taking their sweet time with that too. By the time they install them all across the country, we'll be switching to DIAD 6 (phone) rendering all the DIAD chargers useless. Good job UPS. Think about it, 4+ years into DIAD 5 and now they are getting around to chargers in the cars.

ManInBrown

This thread screams that OP is nervous as heck that he might have to run Orion. Stop worrying about it. They make you run Orion bring back 100 stops every night and make that money. Your 401K will be thrilled you have to run Orion at Peak

soberups

A few weeks ago my center manager said UPS will no longer send new batteries "because the chargers are coming". He's tried and it's a no go. So where's the chargers? UPS is taking their sweet time with that too. By the time they install them all across the country, we'll be switching to DIAD 6 (phone) rendering all the DIAD chargers useless. Good job UPS. Think about it, 4+ years into DIAD 5 and now they are getting around to chargers in the cars.
And the problem is only made worse by the map software