Orion tested today.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
What I was told, current management is not up to date on backing. Once ORION is fully implemented, the savings will dictate that we back, back, and back again. You will work as directed, you just don't know it yet. A bunch of small feet of less driving add up to many less miles.

Is this smart? Maybe not, but that's how it will be. Sooner or later, management will be getting daily reports on mileage. "Back first" will fade away...

We have had Orion for quite a while and the number of backs is the top priority right now in our district since backing crashes are up. Everyday in the pcm we have a chart telling how many backing events there where the day before. The center manager tells you us everyday that we need to reduce backs by 5 per driver. So I don't think your Orion guys are being truthful...

They have to show that the system works or they won't have a job. They will tell you whatever makes them look good.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Had a 1200 run over a
Chihuahua yesterday when he backed in a driveway even though a culdesac was within eyesight. This driver was on ORIAN.

Day two

Another dead dog via it darting out in the road behind some Leland Cypress trees.

This is the same center that had a fatal crash two weeks ago

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Run a rural route. You will back into many driveways. Driving 10 miles around the block doesn't work.

I run a rural route too, and I also back into a lot of driveways. However...when I get a 30-stop cut in an urban neighborhood full of kids, I drive around the damn block.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Day two I was "live". I dont even come close to the miles they want, but I got done at 620, such a rarity, I went grocery shopping so I wouldnt have to on the weekend.

I was suppose to do 62 miles, I did 74. But they routed me some weird ways, I had miles between stops, my brain would have hit this that or another stop, but I decided to just run it The Orion way. If they ask me, I will tell them it was pretty messed up. They have that fancy little pc to figure out why.

My "trainer" told me if I am 100% in trace, he knows Im p'oed. But my pieces were lighter, I knew I would have no issues getting done, so I just played the game. I like getting done earlier.

I have several blocks that have more houses torn down than standing, so I did whip around in a few old driveways.

An interesting comment from my boss that shut him up quick and in a hurry. As your miles go down, your sporh, will go up. I said, why yes they will. it is math. the same thing I have been telling you for years. So when my miles were 90 why did you still expect me to meet the same number, dummy its math. Haha, made me chuckle all day long

Mack Grant

Yeah, it's not your problem. If they ask you to do something ridiculous, do it so they can see how ridiculous it is. Tell them you'll have to either not follow orion until the bulk is off or you'll have to unload half the truck onto the street at every stop to work safely. If you have your orion ride, make it known you are working by the methods and won't be turning around in residential driveways and you won't be making end range motions. It will be a long quiet day.
It'll be a cold day in hell when I back or even put the front wheels into a residential driveway. Mind you, I drive city routes only and where I am there are many cars and obstacles on the street. I can't speak for you rural guys. That's a different thing altogether.

We don't have Orion, but we've been told it's on its way. If one of the Orion geeks tells me to drive or back into a driveway I'm going to give him the FOB off my belt and tell him "you do it!"

Mack Grant

Here's an article on Orion
http://www.wired.com/2013/06/ups-astronomical-math/

Sorry if it's been posted already.

Edit. Also note that it's heavily based on heuristics which is a prediction based algorithm. Many PC virus software programs use heuristics. Therein lies the problem.
Many drivers have said this before and I'll say it again. IF they would just tweak EDD then things would be much better. Miles would be saved, but here we are moving to the next program before the one before it has been perfected or even shown its worth.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yup the kings of wasting money on stupid shiznitt keep wasting more money. Hey if you wanna throw some money down the pooper UNITED PARCEL SLAVES ill pm you guys to send me some of that cheese your going to throw away lol.

Rainman

Its all good.
The new method is turning around. Not backing is out the window. My ORION training sup told me this.
They lie. Been on Orion for a year. Don't compromise safety or put yourself at risk. There's nothing they can say about that.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

thessalonian13

Here's an article on Orion
http://www.wired.com/2013/06/ups-astronomical-math/

Sorry if it's been posted already.

Edit. Also note that it's heavily based on heuristics which is a prediction based algorithm. Many PC virus software programs use heuristics. Therein lies the problem.
Many drivers have said this before and I'll say it again. IF they would just tweak EDD then things would be much better. Miles would be saved, but here we are moving to the next program before the one before it has been perfected or even shown its worth.
I love this quote: "
30—The maximum number of inches UPS specifies a driver should have to move to select thethe next package. This is accomplished through a meticulous system for loading packages into the truck in the order in which they’ll be delivered." What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My trainer did not ask, hint , or tell me to ever back into resi drives. He said not to do anything different than I do as far as safety. It is more about thinking, planning. I am not good with maps, so I know that shoots that theory all to pieces.

barnyard

KTM rider
1 of the reasons that Orion is destined to fail on most routes is that it is based on a false 'leave building time.' You cannot build a route based on schedules that HAVE to be met if the starting time is wrong.

We have been scheduled 3 times to get Orion. I asked about it yesterday and was told that it has been postponed to sometime in 2015.

That is just fine with me.