Orion vs backing.

By The Book

Does ORION tell you to back or just set you up so you have no choice?
The only way to know exactly where Orion wants you to back is to look at the Orion route plan for the day and go stop by stop. You will have to visualize the stops in order as you would deliver them. Then you will see how it has you driving the route, and where you would turn around. You are still the boss out there and are paid the big bucks to make good safe decisions on when and where to back. If you can't turn your truck around in the street you might have to drive around the block on some stops. Orion is just a GPS mapping system that maps out the stops you have for that day. If you drive a high mileage route there will be days you will beat the miles off you get your trace closer to 85%, versus trying to never break trace.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The most you are going to get IMHO is a message that you were over and you need to correct it, and you reply acknowledge and accepted. That is what they have to do because they are trying to do/keep their job, and that is they are told, to bi*** at us, about when we are not doing our job, which they know we are. I have been on this monstrosity for 6 or so months, it is a frequent nightmare. They never want to discuss why, they just have to say their piece. They do not want a printout of how to fix it, they just dont want to get yelled at. They have no clue how to fix it, and the Orion guys disappear. It cant be fixed in this form, too many variables. Pack a good lunch, plan for killer weekends, and hope you can stay awake. And keep a positive attitude towards customers. I dont know the answers, I just know most days it is unattainable.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yup me too. If you want me to meet the miles, I have to back. If you want me to back, I cant meet the backs. If you want me to stay on trace, I miss business, if you want me to make service, I add miles. If you want me to refuse OCA, I can, but you wont let me , or return later for EAM, I cant make miles. You tell me what you want and scooby I will do it.
They can be as stupid as they want to be with all these conflicting instructions but once they start threatening you with discipline over them it becomes over-supervision and harassment which is an Art 37 violation.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
The most you are going to get IMHO is a message that you were over and you need to correct it, and you reply acknowledge and accepted. That is what they have to do because they are trying to do/keep their job, and that is they are told, to bi*** at us, about when we are not doing our job, which they know we are. I have been on this monstrosity for 6 or so months, it is a frequent nightmare. They never want to discuss why, they just have to say their piece. They do not want a printout of how to fix it, they just dont want to get yelled at. They have no clue how to fix it, and the Orion guys disappear. It cant be fixed in this form, too many variables. Pack a good lunch, plan for killer weekends, and hope you can stay awake. And keep a positive attitude towards customers. I dont know the answers, I just know most days it is unattainable.
The mileage will never be met. Im running 98%, stay outta my face. Also need to revise the 5 keys to backing and include the back after the delivery as ok to do.

upsbeernut

Orion has you backing all day. Methods say don't back. What do YOU do???????
You back up, thats how Orion works. I back up at least 25 times a day now. I thought most of our accidents were caused from backing. Orion had me back up on a major road several times cause it doesnt know one busy street to the next.

upsbeernut

Im out later even though it maps the route for you. So overtime versus gas prices doesnt seem to be a saving anything.

Thegameisrigged

Orion has you walking off deliveries cross major streets. Seems like they want you putting more mileage on your body instead of their trucks. Goes to show the company is for themselves, not us. I'll drive off those stops, not walk them

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just do the job the correct way and be safe and efficient.

If this is in harmony with ORION, great.

If it isn't....who cares?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just do the job the correct way and be safe and efficient.

If this is in harmony with ORION, great.

If it isn't....who cares?
"They care". IDK why. Had the guy in the loop next to me had a ride today coz he wont follow Orion. Must have sucked tho since we got called in by 7pm coz of weather. I shut it off at 4pm as I was so far behind the "solution" it was futile to follow it. We never got out of the building til after 930, and Orion told me to do 15 bulk stops, one with 9 50 pounders that I couldnt get to, before I started my air. I did the first two and skipped the rest, then how do you put that puzzle back together? For heaven sakes, I got on area at 945. Every day they yak at me every day I just say, trying to make service where I can, and trying to do my job. Yes the weather is bad, but I am not going to jeopardize air for ground. I dont know what is going to happen with this monstrosity, but I certainly think service comes before Orion. I guess when they "insist" I will show them their Orion dispatch. There will be lights dinging somewhere in Atlanta, and phones ringing all over the district.