ORION, Who has it and tell us what you think...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The system does know what you had when you left and what you delivered.

Does the system know what type of packages are on the truck ? And how they should be loaded ?

98979z.jpg

-Bug-

Buck Fifty

If it's like PAS/EDD they will fail miserably in the implementation and we will live with the results. I like the part in the article where it says it will fill in ground stops near your air. Ya right. Are we going to start leaving at 8:20 again instead of 9 to 9:30?

Yeah it will find them, but the question is will the driver be able to find the package .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All roads look flat, paved and traffic free from Google Earth.

I dont deliver Google Earth, I deliver in the real one.

soberups

ORIAN will succeed...or fail...depending solely upon how much emphasis management places on actual success versus generating an arbitrary compliance metric that is being demanded by Corporate.

My 25 years at UPS has given me a front row seat at the implementation of DIAD I, DIAD II, DIAD III, CACD, Remote Initiative, The Team Concept, PLD, DIAD IV, PAS/EDD, Stops Per Car, and DIAD V. You name it, and I have watched it happen from the beginning.

The common thread that I have seen with all of these new ideas...without fail... is that regardless of the merits of the new idea or technology, the implentation totally fails because we chase a number instead of chasing results.

ORIAN will be no different. Routes will be set up to fail and drivers will be instructed to disregard service, sanity and common sense in order to generate whatever arbitrary compliance metric is being demanded by Corporate. The implementation of the program will be done half-assed and on the cheap, and the entire program will wind up being a bunch of patches and Band-Aids held together with duct tape, as PAS/EDD is now.

I sure hope I am wrong, but nothing I have seen over the last 25 years leads me to think that I will be.

clarnzz

EDD was good since it got all the stops in my board. ORION is useless to me, I do all the things it is supposed to help me with far better than a mathmatecal equation can understand. Maybe it will help all the no-skill, dumbasses that they are forced to promote by running out every driver in my center with more than 25 years FT in, but i doubt it.

soberups

If you want ORIAN to work, you must first fix the preload.

If you want to fix preload, its real simple; start charging 50% of the overallowed hours for on-road to the preload, and then charge 50% of the preloads labor hours to the on road.

This will create a situation where the preload supervisor and the center manager are forced to cooperate instead of having to screw each other over in order to look better on a report.

Right now, the preload and the on-road might as well work for 2 different companies. Right now, the preload managers only concern is to generate the PPH (pieces per hour) metric that is demanded of him by IE. He could care less about load quality, he could care less about misloads, he will be promoted (or fired) based solely upon how fast he can get the packages shoveled into the nearest car and get "his" people off of the clock. What happens after that is the on-road's problem, not his.

If, on the other hand, he was going to be charged with 50% of the overallowed incurred by the on-road side of the operation...then load quality and misloads would start having a direct effect on his numbers and all of the sudden the loads would be stop-for-stop and the preloaders would be allowed to stay on the clock long enough to make a clean wrap up.

This will never happen, of course, but its nice to think about. Instead, we will waste all our time and energy chasing whatever ORIAN compliance number IE wants to see while the underlying problems remain unsolved.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
orion will work well with the real world loads we deal with day to day

This is a good example of what I was trying to tell Pretzel_Man. If you take a closer look at this load, what stands out to me, is sections 3 and 4. Look at all of the empty space on those shelves. Now, if I was this driver, I might come in and start yelling at my preload supervisor. And you know what he/she would say, right? He/she would start yelling at the loader, asking why the load was so bad. But in reality, the loader probably has four other trucks that look just as bad. If experience is any guide, I would say this preloader has a 5:30 start time. And if the loader was of any quality, he/she would have drained the cages, and then the sups would have dragged he/she away from their pull to sort or do irregulars.

And for all of that, the loader, most likely, is going to get bitched at by the driver and the supervisor for his/her efforts.

This happens every single day at this company.

So, if your loader leaves you with a mess like this, do him/her a favor, and ask him why before you chew him/her a new one. It's the least we can do.

soberups

So, if your loader leaves you with a mess like this, do him/her a favor, and ask him why before you chew him/her a new one. It's the least we can do.

There are no bad preloaders, only bad preload managers.

The average preloader has been intentionally set up to fail, just like the average driver has been intentionally set up to fail. I dont blame some 19 yr old kid making $10 an hour for the total incompetence with which he is managed. They want the packages out of the building, they got the packages out of the building. I make $45 an hour on OT to clean up the resultant mess.

BigBrown3605

Honestly, PAS and EDD have worked well. A great driver will always look and see if he's got a ground with his air stop. If time is on my side, I may even knock off an area if there are stops near my NDA stop. This also depends on the load of my truck in the morning, which if it costs me to much time to find the stops I abort and continue on.

I would give it an honest effort when it comes to my center. The problem isn't how many miles and minutes the new system saves, IT'S HOW MY CENTER WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME AND ADD MORE WORK TO NULLIFY THOSE SAVINGS.

+1

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lip-loading is only good when you have boxes stacked on top of each other otherwise when I get to my car in the morning I push all the box past the lip to prevent then from fall all over the floor as pictured above..

Works good for smokeless tobacco too.