Our Fantastic Healthcare

vantexan

Had chest pain that wouldn't stop about a month ago. My wife insisted I go to the ER. Left after a little less than 3 hours, blood work done that determined no heart attack, a pain killer administered intravenously knocked the pain out. Just got a statement from Cigna that says it all cost $2870, of which I'm responsible for $1858. Way to go FedEx, pay us just enough to live paycheck to paycheck then give us healthcare that puts us in serious jeopardy if used. Looks like another monthly bill.

It will be fine

ouch, that sucks. Im pretty sure obamacare is a better alternative.
Obamacare is not a health insurance plan. You can get a wide variety of coverage through the marketplace that was setup by the ACA. Express offers a plan so you wouldn't be eligible for any subsidies on the marketplace.
Van, how high is the deductible? ER is always the most expensive option, but sometimes you need to use it.

Downwardspiral

Curious if they even paid that $1000 or so, or was it just a contractual write-off? They never seem to actual pay much, if anything, on claims on this end. For the most part, the bills are just discounted.

optikz

I'm in the same boat. My bill was $1728 for them to give my daughter motrin and send us home for only 30 minutes in the ER

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Had chest pain that wouldn't stop about a month ago. My wife insisted I go to the ER. Left after a little less than 3 hours, blood work done that determined no heart attack, a pain killer administered intravenously knocked the pain out. Just got a statement from Cigna that says it all cost $2870, of which I'm responsible for $1858. Way to go FedEx, pay us just enough to live paycheck to paycheck then give us healthcare that puts us in serious jeopardy if used. Looks like another monthly bill.

Great insurance, huh? Plus, I'll bet the $2870 was the negotiated rate, so FedEx can say we have "industry leading benefits". Perhaps Dear Leader Smith is making a comparison with African diamond miners.

Our benefits are an utter joke, except for Mr 7 and Dano, who think they're great.

bacha29

Van : here is what's happening in my area. The hospital near my home is a part of regional insurance carrier network Although the hospital is in the " network" the ER is not part of the network. Therefore when somebody has to go to the hospitals ER they are often shocked when they discover that their health insurance will not cover the ER charges because it is under different ownership and control. It's like 2 different companies under the same name working in the same building. This is not an isolated situation yet people are getting caught it. It is purely a profit driven trap.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Van : here is what's happening in my area. The hospital near my home is a part of regional insurance carrier network Although the hospital is in the " network" the ER is not part of the network. Therefore when somebody has to go to the hospitals ER they are often shocked when they discover that their health insurance will not cover the ER charges because it is under different ownership and control. It's like 2 different companies under the same name working in the same building. This is not an isolated situation yet people are getting caught it. It is purely a profit driven trap.
So how does it work if someone goes to the ER and is then admitted to the hospital?

vantexan

According to Cigna they're in network. The healthcare industry just seems to have a license to steal these days.

vantexan

Curious if they even paid that $1000 or so, or was it just a contractual write-off? They never seem to actual pay much, if anything, on claims on this end. For the most part, the bills are just discounted.
I'd have to look at it but there was a discount given of several hundred plus dollars.

bacha29

What does you policy say are the deductibles and maximum out of pocket expense ? And does it say that it is an annual deductible or a per claim deductible? I've seen both.

vantexan

Obamacare is not a health insurance plan. You can get a wide variety of coverage through the marketplace that was setup by the ACA. Express offers a plan so you wouldn't be eligible for any subsidies on the marketplace.
Van, how high is the deductible? ER is always the most expensive option, but sometimes you need to use it.
On my el cheapo plan the deductible is $2250, which I've now met. If I go back again this year I'll "only" have to pay 30% of the cost, but the 2nd and 3rd ER visits require a $500 copay. After an annual out of pocket of $4850 they cover 100%. So yeah, it's mostly a catastrophic plan, and seems designed to discourage using it if possible.

bacha29

During the recession many companies ended their payed health care plans or didn't provide it to begin but under the ACA companies of a certain size had to provide health insurance that offered a certain minimum level of coverage equal to about the ACA's "bronze" plan.High deductible and copays based on an overall coverage of about 60% of the total. A horrible plan but no doubt coverage would have been dropped completely years ago for the blue collar employees of Express but probably not for managers. Over at Fedex Ground ,managers have a health care plan that is second to none contractors have to go into the market and buy their own

It will be fine

On my el cheapo plan the deductible is $2250, which I've now met. If I go back again this year I'll "only" have to pay 30% of the cost, but the 2nd and 3rd ER visits require a $500 copay. After an annual out of pocket of $4850 they cover 100%. So yeah, it's mostly a catastrophic plan, and seems designed to discourage using it if possible.
Doesn't sound too terrible, but I've been on an individual plan my whole working life. Don't forget to negotiate your side of the bill. They always throw out a crazy high number since many people just pay it, if you call and offer them less they'll probably work with you.