Our Saturdays now belong to UPS

iruhnman630

It looks like our Saturdays are officially fair game.

One of the benefits of the job is the five day work week. Monday through Friday, we give our days and most of our evenings to UPS, but the weekends have always belonged to us.

Until today.

I was informed this morning that for the week ending February 13, aka valentines Saturday, myself and the 3 other bottom seniority drivers in our center will be working a Tues through Saturday week, so that we may cover the valentines flower rush on Saturday without being paid overtime for going over 40 hours.

This is a new low, as now it seems UPS can intrude on our weekends as well as our evenings.

I have been a driver for nearly 15 years, part-time and full-time. Using full-time drivers to help out on a Saturday is nothing new. But the full-timers have always signed up by seniority, and with the exception of a Christmas Eve Saturday, I have never seen a full-timer forced to work a Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that this is contractual, but according to both my center management and our alternate union steward, this appears to be contractual.

We’ve lost the ability to make Saturday plans without concern over UPS deciding we need to give that time to them.

over9five

Staff member
1. I would ask higher seniority drivers who want the OT to grieve this. I do believe the contract allows drivers hired after a certain date to be forced to a Tues thru Sat schedule, but I don't believe this was intended to be used for a one-time random holiday.

2. How's your sick time? Maybe you 3 should bang in on the Saturday.

iruhnman630

I'm concerned about where this will lead. A new precedent has been set for our center.

I told them I already have other plans that day, and that I will not be cancelling them. We'll see. I'm exploring every contractual question to see if there is any way to avoid calling in for an unexcused absence. I hate calling in even when I am sick, and I have a near-perfect attendance record. Damn shame to have to ruin that on a Saturday.

iruhnman630

1. I would ask higher seniority drivers who want the OT to grieve this. I do believe the contract allows drivers hired after a certain date to be forced to a Tues thru Sat schedule, but I don't believe this was intended to be used for a one-time random holiday.
This is being done to avoid overtime.

If they asked for signups they would have no problem getting 4 to help that day.

2. How's your sick time? Maybe you 3 should bang in on the Saturday.
My center manager told me I would have to call in, then deal with an unexcused absence. My attendance is near perfect so that shouldn't be a concern, but I really don't want to go that route.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why don't they just ask all the drivers if anyone is willing to work Tues thru Sat that week. I would consider it. I'm sure the Saturday air work will be alot esier than my normal Monday route. Plus I would like the day after Super Bowl off.

over9five

Staff member
I think the intent of the Tues thru Sat language was to be able to have biddable Tues thru Sat jobs, NOT to be able to force people to do it on occasion. They are not following the contract in good faith. This needs to be grieved. You may win, you may lose, but at least you'll know for sure.

over9five

Staff member
Why don't they just ask all the drivers if anyone is willing to work Tues thru Sat that week. I would consider it. I'm sure the Saturday air work will be alot esier than my normal Monday route. Plus I would like the day after Super Bowl off.

That's an awesome idea, especially if you push the "day after super bowl off" aspect!

I'm concerned about where this will lead. A new precedent has been set for our center.

I told them I already have other plans that day, and that I will not be cancelling them. We'll see. I'm exploring every contractual question to see if there is any way to avoid calling in for an unexcused absence. I hate calling in even when I am sick, and I have a near-perfect attendance record. Damn shame to have to ruin that on a Saturday.

While it`s commendable to have a good attendance record you`ll find that it means nothing other than something you have pride in. Whatever is truly important in your life should take precedence.

That being said I would grieve the practice in which this has been handled. Plus I`d let them know now that there is no maybe on the fact that you wont be in on that Saturday.

iruhnman630

Why don't they just ask all the drivers if anyone is willing to work Tues thru Sat that week.
I was wondering the same thing. They didn't even try asking for volunteers. This may be one contract violation, not going by seniority before forcing from bottom up.

There's also the question of an 8-hour guarantee...not sure if they have agreed to that yet.

iruhnman630

I will be talking with the bottom seniority drivers in the other two centers in our building, to see if they are facing the same situation. Unless our stewards all agree to this, a grievance may be coming. Definitely going to be some tension, not just for having to work the 13th, but for what it means from here on out.

The weekends belonged to us, until this came up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As always, we are all subject to different supplemental language.
This forum is a great place to vent, but a terrible place for contractual advice.
I know in my area this move is kosher provided they schedule it accordingly the Friday before.
Check with your BA or steward and ask him to show you the applicable language in the contract.
I think maybe you are making a little to much of this.
Absent of a holiday, this won't be a reoccurring theme.
We all take our turn at the bottom of the seniority list.

Dookiebrowns

It was like this last year in my building. It was the only week of the year that I worked Tuesday-Saturday. Read your contract it clearly states that UPS can do this so..........QUIT your crying and do your job. WA WA......You get a three day weekend and then have a five day work week. Wow that sucks.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
It was like this last year in my building. It was the only week of the year that I worked Tuesday-Saturday. Read your contract it clearly states that UPS can do this so..........QUIT your crying and do your job. WA WA......You get a three day weekend and then have a five day work week. Wow that sucks.

this.

probellringer

relax....there will be plenty of people banging supe bowl monday----then they will have plenty of people to choose from to work sat---they will lean on their attendance to get them to come in...