Our Saturdays now belong to UPS

JustTired

free at last.......
Can I add my thought here?

The grievance procedure isn't just for contract violations. It can be used to gain clarification to language contained in the contract, also. Maybe this is just such a case.

If someone thinks that this is a grey area, then by all means file the grievance. Just be prepared to live with the outcome. JMO

clueless

.. As I drive around on Saturdays, I often see FedEx Ground out delivering. How long before we follow suit?

FedEx Home Delivery service days are Tuesday–Saturday vs. Monday-Friday like UPS ground.

When I get a package via standard shipping, if it's being delivered by FedEx, I know it could come on Saturday, but if I don't get it by then, I know I'll be waiting until Tuesday at least. I think it's been this way awhile, judging by my orders.

TheKid

I am up here in NE also. It has been in our contract for awhile that they can change you to a T-S schedule. The 1987 date sounds correct. But I also agree that changing it for one week is kind of in a grey area. I don't think that was why the language was put in. Technically can they do it....yes....but I think it is a little shady.

P.S. Wanna ruffle some feathers ? Ask for your guaranteed 8 hrs.

island1fox

As always, we are all subject to different supplemental language.
This forum is a great place to vent, but a terrible place for contractual advice.
I know in my area this move is kosher provided they schedule it accordingly the Friday before.
Check with your BA or steward and ask him to show you the applicable language in the contract.
I think maybe you are making a little to much of this.
Absent of a holiday, this won't be a reoccurring theme.
We all take our turn at the bottom of the seniority list.

:wink2:Bubblehead,
I know we have disagreed in some areas but I feel this post of yours is extremely fair and right on the point.
Some additional comments from me --you might agree or not--
Supplementals can vary from place to place --but what I am aware of regarding this subject --In negotiations UPS looked for a way to deliver Saturday air and be competetive with Fedx. The Teamsters agreed on an air rate --that present inside part-timers could earn additional money --at a better rate than they make at their p/t position.
I believe the union even looked at this as a win -win for both.
On BC many here have seen p/t's crying about the pay rate and the fact they cannot make enough money.
In many ,many areas part-timers will not step up -get a road test and deliver the air.
The company was forced to bring in full time drivers at o/t rates that make sat del a loss.
With all of the cost cutting measures --ups is now critized for taking away a full time drivers "saturday.
By contract they cannot force p/t's to deliver air --but by contract they can schedule tues thru sat friend/t drivers --not at o/t rates.
There should be no criticism here if UPS is in fact following the contract.
If anything if I was a low seniority driver that did not want to work Saturday --I would help Ups to find P/t's looking for some better cash !!! :peaceful:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Whoever is above the OP on the seniority list should grieve for the hours he was forced to work on the Saturday in question.

Whenever there is Saturday work available here, management posts a sign up list and there is no shortage of people who put their names on it, myself included. It is 8 hrs of guranteed OT.

The issue is not that the OP wants to get out of working Saturday, it is whether or not the language can be interpreted to allow a low-seniority employee to be forced instead of making the work avalable to everyone by bid at the OT rate.

danlin

I think the intent of the Tues thru Sat language was to be able to have biddable Tues thru Sat jobs, NOT to be able to force people to do it on occasion. They are not following the contract in good faith. This needs to be grieved. You may win, you may lose, but at least you'll know for sure.

Excellent response

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Whoever is above the OP on the seniority list should grieve for the hours he was forced to work on the Saturday in question.

Whenever there is Saturday work available here, management posts a sign up list and there is no shortage of people who put their names on it, myself included. It is 8 hrs of guranteed OT.

The issue is not that the OP wants to get out of working Saturday, it is whether or not the language can be interpreted to allow a low-seniority employee to be forced instead of making the work avalable to everyone by bid at the OT rate.

This is the way Saturday work is dealt with here as well, when management doesn't have the foresight to schedule it the week before.

I understand the trepidation and disdain with these developments, I just don't believe them to be a violation. By doing it this way the work is not considered a 6th day and therefore not subject to being paid at time and a half, provided they are scheduled the week prior.

I'm not saying I like the new language, nor do I not sympathise with the ones being forced, but I think the language is pretty clear (in my region).
If it reads differently elsewhere, by all means grieve.

Any gamblers out there looking to make a wager as to the outcome of any grievances on this issue? I'll take no violation. Let me know. I'll bet ya.

iruhnman630

Needless to say, this has been a heated topic for us in our center the last few days.

As of Friday, the bottom seniority drivers in the other two centers in our building are not facing the same situation. It's only our center manager who doesn't feel he should have to pay overtime for a ft to help out on a Saturday.

Yes, I'm disappointed that for the first time in 15 years they've opened up Saturdays to their whims. It's one more thing that we need to be concerned about when making plans for our personal lives outside of UPS, that until this week was no concern at all. It's unfortunate that some here see this as little more than whining. So be it. I take everything else they throw at us with nothing worse than a sarcastic chuckle, a shake of the head, or a little grumble, but I do it.

Right now I don't see how they could create a permanent Tues through Sat schedule for full-timers. Until UPS expands their Sat service, there isn't enough work to honor 8 hour guarantees. I expect the 13th to be 5 hours of driving, followed by 3 hours of...?checking oil?...sweeping floors?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As I see, nobody is sticking it to anybody. Sell out? All the steward did was demonstrate an ability to read. As far as the union, we have no idea what was at stake when they negotiated that language. It could have garnered us a bigger raise. I don't know and neither do you. The world is getting smaller and the game is ever changing. The contract is not immuned and will be subject to change on each go around.

Um, if the thread author requests his/her 8 hours of pay and there is only 4 hours of AM air work on Saturday, that is called sticking it to the company. Dress it up however you like, "it is what it is"

bumped

If you are being forced to work the T-sat schedule it is expected a minimum of 8 hours on saturday. I wouldn't say anything until the saturday and not take a pay actual. This isn't like the day after Thanksgiving or New Years Eve where you have to request 8 hours.

over9five

Staff member
So only 1 of 3 centers in the same building is doing it this way. This is why it HAS to be grieved. Your center manager is not following the spirit of the language in the contract. It is wrong to think that language was put there so one of 3 CMs could force people to work a single Tues thru Sat at his whim.

over9five

Staff member
If you are being forced to work the T-sat schedule it is expected a minimum of 8 hours on saturday. I wouldn't say anything until the saturday and not take a pay actual. This isn't like the day after Thanksgiving or New Years Eve where you have to request 8 hours.

Absolutely. If you're on a Tues thru Sat, you get 8 hours each day, same as anyone else.

iruhnman630

I originally wasn't going to demand the 8 hour guarantee, but I've reconsidered due to simple math.

Saturday work typically is 5 hours or less. 5 hours at time and a half is 7.5 paid hours.

Last I checked, 8 hours costs more than 7.5 hours.

awesome.

over9five

Staff member
It's not a matter of asking for it. If you're on Tues thru Sat it is expected you'll work 8 hours, same as Mon thru Fri. It wouldn't be an extra punch if that is your schedule.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Um, if the thread author requests his/her 8 hours of pay and there is only 4 hours of AM air work on Saturday, that is called sticking it to the company. Dress it up however you like, "it is what it is"

Um, who says that they will only have AM air work available?
With these full time drivers on board there is nothing stopping management from dispatching ground packages to those drivers as well. You have to think outside the box a little bit. Contrary to popular belief, most managers aren't stupid. If they scheduled them Tues thru Sat, they are aware of the guarantee. They may hope that some will go home early and some probably will. If they had the foresight to schedule these guys for this day already, they will have a plan to keep them busy. Your last post makes this out to be some sort of pissing match. I simply don't see it that way. Anybody familiar with me on this site knows I'm far from pro management. Hopefully those same people realize that I am also a realist. As you said, "it is what it is", no dress up necessary. Either way, demanding what your entitled to, management or hourly, is not sticking it to either.

island1fox

No, they're not. They didn't ask anyone. Perhaps if they had asked for volunteers, none of this grievance talk would have even happened.

Why does UPS do everything the hard way?

Over9five,
I usually do not disagree with you --but --put yourself in managements shoes just for a moment.
Most of low seniority drivers across the country are "cover" drivers and usually know quite a few areas. Makes the sat dispatch a little easier.
Also --if you ask for volunteers --high seniority drivers -who want off their route for a day --do not know where they are going --also with all the bouncing and bumping --makes
all dispatch a horror.
Seniority lists are used for this very purpose.
Personally -as someone who has worked all jobs, all hours, all days --I feel this is much ado about nothing --I know people are tired of hearing it --but be thankfull you still have a job.
UPS has cut there highest levels of management --some will be put out of jobs ---grieve this --grieve that --it really gets sad !!:sad-little:
Yeah --there trying to save o/t costs --trying to save as many jobs as possible --some people have to wake up !!!

Why does ups DO EVERYTHING THE HARD WAY ?
Why does every minor change covered by contract have to be cried about and grieved ???:angry:

iruhnman630

Um, who says that they will only have AM air work available?
With these full time drivers on board there is nothing stopping management from dispatching ground packages to those drivers as well.
No need to worry about that one. The Monday ground volume is in sealed trailers...no way to even get at it and sort it.

I'll likely be checking oil or cleaning cars for a few hours to fill the 8 hours...unless they just pay us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No need to worry about that one. The Monday ground volume is in sealed trailers...no way to even get at it and sort it.

I'll likely be checking oil or cleaning cars for a few hours to fill the 8 hours...unless they just pay us.

I think you may be surprised at just how much volume there will be on that day. I was asked to help on this day a few years ago and there were 3 or 4 of us working and it was quite busy. As I recall the flowers had a relaxed commit time, even more so than the normal Saturday relaxed commit time. I think I got 6 hours that day so, yes, if you are looking for your guarantee you may end up doing some busy work around the bldg to make up the difference.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Don't forget about the friday send agains.
I'm still betting that they have a plan to round out your day that doesn't involve a broom.
Although God knows our trucks could use a good sweeping.