Out of Sight and Weather!

iruhnman630

I do love the 'what an idiot UPS driver for taking a few moments to bring my package to my neighbor and ask me neighbor to sign for my package so that I can get my package' comments.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What an embarrasing story. A trash can? Seriously?

I have used a trash can for a DR location in the past. Used a DR bag to protect the package, put the empty trash can near the door, turned it upside down and placed it over the package. I have also kept the trash can in place and DR'd a package there. Sometimes you have to be creative.

oldngray

nowhere special
The media is over reacting to this story. And the comments made by people show how clueless they are about how deliveries work. I never left a package IN a trash can but frequently would bag it and hide behind trash can. My center had someone DR a pkg inside a grill, the customer came home and fired it up without looking, and toasted the pkg. Its hard to imagine every possibility or how stupid some customers might be.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I do love the 'what an idiot UPS driver for taking a few moments to bring my package to my neighbor and ask me neighbor to sign for my package so that I can get my package' comments.
On the surface your comment seems just, but if you peel the issue back a few more layers you will discover that not everybody has an amicable relationship with their neighbor.
That's why I never indirect a package to a neighbor unless I have a history of having done so, or the consignee leaves me a note asking me to.
The back of my bulkhead door is plastered with these notes for future reference.
In the end, send agains are really of no consequence to me but "missing" packages for sure are.

oldngray

nowhere special
On the surface your comment seems just, but if you peel the issue back a few more layers you will discover that not everybody has an amicable relationship with their neighbor.
That's why I never indirect a package to a neighbor unless I have a history of having done so, or the consignee leaves me a note asking me to.
The back of my bulkhead door is plastered with these notes for future reference.
In the end, send agains are really of no consequence to me but "missing" packages for sure are.

I agree. I never had a complaint from not leaving at neighbor but did from times I did. I learned who and where I could indirect packages to. Its amazing how many people don't know or like their neighbors.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What an embarrasing story. A trash can? Seriously?
I have DR'd in a trash can before. Expecially in the country around Xmas. Get a snow storm and try to get people's packages off no matter what. As the lady said the can was empty so the driver likely thought trash had been picked up.

Also I haven't read through all the comments but maybe just maybe the customer saw the note left in trash can and thought wow what if had gotten thrown away. Well what if I just tell ups it was thrown away and I could get 2.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had parents that lived across the street from their son and daughter in law. Parents drive 50 ft kids drive 1000ft. The mom told me I could leave everything there. Ok works for me.

One year a few days before valentines day I have a package for the daughter in law. From Fredrick's of Hollywood. Well I'm going to guess the mom opened it. A week or two later I saw the daughter in law at lunch. She asked me not to leave their packages at the inlaws anymore. She said "there are some things you don't want your mother in law to see."

Back first

This is why I leave almost every package at front door. These are the same customers who claim we didn't ring the bell. Most customers will lie to make themselves look better.