Outbid by someone with less seniority

Nockahate9

I signed the bid sheet to go to feeder school few weeks back and HR walked around today notifying everyone. I asked if I made it and she said no but someone with less seniority did. When I asked how that was possible, she said because he had signed the previous bid sheet a few months earlier (Which was posted for a week during my 2 week long vacation). Is this normal?

CHALLY9TX

Also signing a bid sheet is your responsibility even if you're on vacation. When bid sheets go up management is supposed to notify the union about them. That way you can call your steward and ask them to put your name on a bid sheet when you're on vacation.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

My question is if they are taking from a previous bid sheet(which I believe is good for 6 months)why did they post another?

Nockahate9

Also signing a bid sheet is your responsibility even if you're on vacation. When bid sheets go up management is supposed to notify the union about them. That way you can call your steward and ask them to put your name on a bid sheet when you're on vacation.

That doesn't seem to happen around here. Last year I was out for surgery for about 2 months and when I returned to the preload, I didn't recognize anyone because they hired about 15 full time package drivers. It seems that I always get the shaft.

CHALLY9TX

Then why not just keep picking from the other list? Unless there wasn't enough? Our feeder bid sheets are 4 pages long.

Yes maybe there wasn't enough. Not everyone could've have qualified or maybe some turned it down.

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

I signed the bid sheet to go to feeder school few weeks back and HR walked around today notifying everyone. I asked if I made it and she said no but someone with less seniority did. When I asked how that was possible, she said because he had signed the previous bid sheet a few months earlier (Which was posted for a week during my 2 week long vacation). Is this normal?
Talk to your business agent., now. In our area our manager is supposed to notify employees that are unable to sign bids if they are not available to and don't know of the posting.

Ouch

If you are part time and didn't sign the part time to full time bid sheet then that is exactly how you got passed. If you signed the part time to full time and have the seniority, you need to file on it. If the lesser senior employee has already been thru the school then file for all that time as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

File a grievance for being stupid? It is your own responsibility to check what is up for bid.

I think all of the time that you have been spending lately with the simpleminded has reduced your reading comprehension skills. The OP was on VACATION when the bid was posted and should have been called to see if he wanted to sign the bid sheet.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think all of the time that you have been spending lately with the simpleminded has reduced your reading comprehension skills. The OP was on VACATION when the bid was posted and should have been called to see if he wanted to sign the bid sheet.

Vacation doesn't matter. OP should have still checked. It is nobody's else responsibility to call him to let him know a new bid was posted.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Vacation doesn't matter. OP should have still checked. It is nobody's else responsibility to call him to let him know a new bid was posted.

Seriously? So you call the building every day just to "keep up"? What about hourlies who are on STD or comp?

Management has the responsibility to ensure that everyone eligible to bid who is out of work for whatever reason is notified. This can be done either by asking the steward(s) to make the necessary notification or doing it themselves.

Our center does this during the vacation bid. It is much better than putting the selection process on hold until the driver(s) come(s) back from vacation.

I would be pissed if I came back from vacation only to find out that a bid sheet had been posted and taken down without being told about it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Bids are posted on a bulletin board. That is all that management is required to do. If someone won't be able to check for new bids he can ask someone else to check for him but nobody else is required to do so. Again, it is ultimately an issue of personal responsibility.