Outside feeder drivers

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Long story short, my father has been driving with a cdl for about 30 years. Teamsters union, same local as where I currently am with ups. He was recently told by his company that all the drivers no longer have a job in the next couple month. Just wondering for his sake how they hire feeder drivers? Is it the same inside/outside ratio that they use to hire package car driver?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yes. Check upsjobs.com for tractor trailer driver. They do hire from outside.
But ups is not for old timers
its a total bs job starting out at the bottom.
If he is able i would look into hauling hazmat for someone else.

P

pickup

Long story short, my father has been driving with a cdl for about 30 years. Teamsters union, same local as where I currently am with ups. He was recently told by his company that all the drivers no longer have a job in the next couple month. Just wondering for his sake how they hire feeder drivers? Is it the same inside/outside ratio that they use to hire package car driver?

If it is the same local, I would suggest that he speak to one of the union officials. They might have intimate knowledge of exactly the Ups in his local operates when it comes to hiring off the street feeder drivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
As far as I was always lead to believe UPS don't hire already trained "professional" drivers. They like to start fresh so they can mold them their way. They always said "experienced" drivers come with too many bad habits

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I knew a few temps , who they eventually hired to be supes!
One guy was gung ho!
Was drinking the kook aide and nit picked the sheit outtah me !
Yawn !!!
Three yrs into it , had melt down and walked out the door

Last edited:

Inthegame

Yes. Check upsjobs.com for tractor trailer driver. They do hire from outside.
Depends on the supplement.
If he is able i would look into hauling hazmat for someone else.
If he has a clean record and a CDL he won't be out of work long, if at all.
its a total bs job starting out at the bottom.
As opposed to pkg car? Pretty sure nobody is forced to take any job at UPS.

Johney

I hear they are so hard pressed for feeder drivers in Jacksonville that they are hiring temps feeder drivers from peak as friend/T feeder drivers.

P

pickup

As far as I was always lead to believe UPS don't hire already trained "professional" drivers. They like to start fresh so they can mold them their way. They always said "experienced" drivers come with too many bad habits

The reality is they can cherry pick "professional" drivers from the audition known as peak. The trainers have to put in less effort and worry with such guys than a package car driver coming over to feeders. And the outside feeder driver is in progression for 4 years while the package car driver turned feeder is at top rate and is still complaining about not getting his turkey.