outside hire

upstcd1990

If an outside hire goes to a supervisor and he quits after 13 days into his 30 day probation period can it go back inside or does it still go outside

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It's 6:1 -- doesn't matter if the employees qualify or not. If six consecutive PTers were disqualified, the next opening goes to the outside. If that person's disqualified, the next six go to PT.

upstcd1990

They went outside twice once a girl lasted 2 days and quit and this last one went 13 days and quit both hired as outside hires should it be fair for them to go outside a third time since no one yet has mad it through the 30 days

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's 6:1 -- doesn't matter if the employees qualify or not. If six consecutive PTers were disqualified, the next opening goes to the outside. If that person's disqualified, the next six go to PT.

Wow, first time I've heard it put like that. I understand this works both ways but that seems kind of messed up. If management went out of their way to disqualify pt'ers, the ratio of inside to outside hires could be far less than 6:1. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I just always assumed that for every 7 drivers, 6 were supposed have come from inside. I guess if a lot of outside hires dq'd it could work in our favor, I just can't believe this is the first time I'm learning of this.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Wow, first time I've heard it put like that. I understand this works both ways but that seems kind of messed up. If management went out of their way to disqualify pt'ers, the ratio of inside to outside hires could be far less than 6:1. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I just always assumed that for every 7 drivers, 6 were supposed have come from inside. I guess if a lot of outside hires dq'd it could work in our favor, I just can't believe this is the first time I'm learning of this.

Even if one doesn't qualify, he/she was given a job. (Not to be confused with flunking the road test - which does not equate into a job, thus 6:1 still applies.)

And I've seen management disqualify plenty of PTers they've disliked by making the job overly bearing. However, if they do it too often (e.g. to reach outside hires), no doubt the union will step in.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We're confused because it appears either you've been drinking, or have a sixth grade education. But anyway, one more time...

It's on a 6:1 ratio. It doesn't matter if the employee is disqualified, or disqualifies themselves - they've still been hired. Thus, the Company should be / should have hired a PTer next. Contact your business agent.

wilma0921

The language actually benefits union members approximately 90% of the time. The person being promoted or hired to the driver position must attain seniority before the Union or Company forfeits their position within the 6:1 ratio. There are always extenuating circumstances in very limited cases but as a general rule neither party loses their ratio position until a their person actually attains seniority.

wilma0921

Sorry I failed to properly edit my previous post. Regardless, the intent of the language provides protection from the Company disqualifying union p/t employees in a helter-skelter manner to advance their outside hire more quickly by disqualifying Union p/t'ers. The downside is when the Company's 1 of 6 opportunity arrises, the Company enjoys the same contractual privilege as the Union.

PT Car Washer

So The Company can audition new drivers without committing it self to hiring anyone. When they see someone they like. Fast track them to FT.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They went outside twice once a girl lasted 2 days and quit and this last one went 13 days and quit both hired as outside hires should it be fair for them to go outside a third time since no one yet has mad it through the 30 days

We are still in the seasonal period are u sure these are perm positions?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In my building they are taking PT seniority people who qualify as seasonal rather than posting a driver bid. How do you feel about that?

No this can't be done. Anyone that's above them needs to file. I believe they get on by default with a seniority date one day before the person under them. At least any BA worth his salt would make this happen.

PT Car Washer

No this can't be done. Anyone that's above them needs to file. I believe they get on by default with a seniority date one day before the person under them. At least any BA worth his salt would make this happen.

Yes you are right, but look at the field of candidates in the larger hubs. You could spend 6 months before someone qualifies. Not saying it is right, just the way it is.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Sorry I failed to properly edit my previous post. Regardless, the intent of the language provides protection from the Company disqualifying union p/t employees in a helter-skelter manner to advance their outside hire more quickly by disqualifying Union p/t'ers. The downside is when the Company's 1 of 6 opportunity arrises, the Company enjoys the same contractual privilege as the Union.

Might vary regionally. Our last three PTers disqualified themselves before they reach seniority, and they took an outside hire (PT supervisor from another building).

No they are seasonal positions. But are qualified and trained so when a FT job opens up they are first in line.

They tried that here but lost. Wouldn't be surprised to see them try it again...