Outside work injury

Mike57

First of all, are you OK? Take care of yourself and worry about the other stuff later.

Secondly, no, you will not be paid from UPS while you are out. They may let you do light duty like scanning but are in no way obligated to do so as it was an off duty injury.

Third, you need to call the union to find out what you need to do to file for disability. Your auto insurance policy may also have disability coverage.
Remember your health is #1. Talk to your union rep. Might bring a copy of the accident report and paperwork from the ER...

MattM

Short term or long term disability. Combo some sick days into the mix. Accidents happen. Short term here is for 26 weeks/60% of pay.

I want to say they force you to exhaust your other paid days first. So they'd use your vacation weeks first, then some personal days too. But that all may be region specific.

clean hairy

Short term or long term disability. Combo some sick days into the mix. Accidents happen. Short term here is for 26 weeks/60% of pay.

I want to say they force you to exhaust your other paid days first. So they'd use your vacation weeks first, then some personal days too. But that all may be region specific.
I know vacation can be used when on FMLA, but not sure about short term disability...

MattM

I know vacation can be used when on FMLA, but not sure about short term disability...
THanks. I forgot about FMLA. That's what I was thinking of. I just looked in my union book and any paid time will be used for a portion of your FMLA time off. So OP, why not try to get on FMLA. A serious medical event is included.

But I'm pretty sure it's unpaid. But you will maintain your insurance. With my plan, we need a working paid day per week to maintain insurance

PAUPSGuy

I was in a car accident and have a possible hairline fracture on my tibia bone not 100% sure until doctors confirm it. I’m worried about work because if it’s broke it’ll be 6-8 weeks off. Will I not be be paid on that time off since it was outside of ups?

I 'floated' a new-hire for 11 weeks on a 'don't call them' list so they still had a chance after surgery. Very hard worker earned every penny; they deserved a chance. They are driving now and taking care of their family. Best of luck but if you're injured in the leg area you might want to request a reload sorting shift to heal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nope-----you do not have to burn any time to qualify for STD/LTD. The first payment is normally delayed for 14 days.