Overboard Termination looking for advice

Hi I've been working at a ups hub for 7 years with 0 incidents as a loader last Friday I was a bit stressed from the work week, and I saw that the volume was picking up and the high picks were rushing around. We were all tired from the weeks workload so I thought I could help out by letting them get through that flow by getting on my belt without telling them to shut it off, the jam was small and I walked about 2 feet to break it, I grabbed the safety rail once it was broken and all was good 5mins later my full time sup calls me down and there's this guy I've never met shaking my hand asking me how long have I worked here I told him 7 years I heard him mumble something I blew it off and went back to my truck to finish loading, again my full time sup called me out to go to an office this guy was sitting there I sat down to see what was going on and he started talking about how I surfed the belt apparently, then added about a 0 tolerance safety infraction which was news to me and terminated me on the spot I filed a grievance but I've been gone for a week now the union guys haven't called me back like they said, and I want to get back to work has this ever happened to you guys?

10 point

Yeah my union steward was in the room with me and he walked me out to. When I got to the union building the union guy told me that shouldn't have happened.
We had a building audit going on yrs ago and a local sort employee started a belt but didn't see there was someone on it.
He was taken out of service and back to work after some time.
The company has a hard time finding and retaining pt timers. You are in a good spot to get back to work imo.

We had a building audit going on yrs ago and a local sort employee started a belt but didn't see there was someone on it.
He was taken out of service and back to work after some time.
The company has a hard time finding and retaining pt timers. You are in a good spot to get back to work imo.
I hope so because there hasn't been a meeting in my hub for months and I wasn't aware that stepping on the belts became 0 tolerance over the years it's ridiculous when there's no communication.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Are you a legendary belt surfer or this one time occurrence makes you a legendary belt surfer? Maybe if you didn't think of this as a joke, you would fair better.

Wilson

Whoa! They can only terminate you and send you out the door for cardinal infractions. Why are you off the job? Call your BA at his/her home right now!