Overgoods - missing or duplicate labels

Dear all,

If anyone is familiar with the Overgoods department, appreciate some input here.

Recently we had problems with 2 multiple-piece international shipments.

Shipment 1:
  • This shipment consists of 10 cartons
  • All 9 cartons were successfully delivered but 1 carton went missing
  • There was no "origin scan" at all nor any other status
  • It was eventually returned to sender after about 3 weeks under a different tracking number
  • The parcel was sent from UPS Corporate Goods at Kansas City

Shipment 2:
  • This shipment also consists of 10 cartons
  • 1 carton went missing as well, there was no "origin scan" at all nor any other status
  • It suddenly appeared with a "delivered" status at the destination country
  • Apparently, identical labels were pasted on 2 different cartons
  • Carton A and B have the same tracking number pasted on them, and 1 tracking number wasn't used

My question:
If a carton has a label (that's already been used for another carton) on it such as in Shipment #1, is there a possibility that it goes to the Overgoods department?

And generally, what do you guys think of these 2 cases?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No good tracking on the duplicates. Maybe it was delivered. Maybe not.
We are told to scan the extra as a duplicate and to add dup 1z in the remarks column. I doubt most drivers do that, especially split drivers that don't care about tracers.

Wally

Duplicate 1z's happen so often, I'm surprised the company doesn't have a special key for that?

Well, not truly surprised. That would mean actually soliciting constructive input from drivers on the front lines.

Thanks all for the replies. OK got it duplicates are quite common.

The question is if packages with duplicate labels can end up in Overgoods?

Note:
For shipment 1, the UPS driver picked up from the factory and went straight to Louisville KY hub so the packages were first scanned by the automated system and not any driver

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Duplicate 1z's happen so often, I'm surprised the company doesn't have a special key for that?

Well, not truly surprised. That would mean actually soliciting constructive input from drivers on the front lines.
Are you joking? Its the second option every time you scan the same label twice.

And for the most part. It's usually a genuine error from the shipper. BOGO!

Last edited:

Wally

Are you joking? Its the second option every time you scan the same label twice.

And for the most part. It's usually a genuine error from the shipper. BOGO!
That option does not allow you to have 2 entries for the same barcode. Totally different.

upschuck

Duplicate tracking numbers on different days, gets delivered like any other package. On same day, hit duplicate tracking number in board and deliver.

Packages only go to Overgoods when we cannot find where it goes.

Wally

Duplicate tracking numbers on different days, gets delivered like any other package. On same day, hit duplicate tracking number in board and deliver.

Packages only go to Overgoods when we cannot find where it goes.
If I hit rescan or dup label, the diad still enters nothing. It goes back to black box.

Est.1998

We are told to scan the extra as a duplicate and to add dup 1z in the remarks column. I doubt most drivers do that, especially split drivers that don't care about tracers.
Putting "add dub" in the remarks is new for me. I asked a supe years ago what to do with the dups and he said change one number in the tracking on the duplicate.

upschuck

Putting "add dub" in the remarks is new for me. I asked a supe years ago what to do with the dups and he said change one number in the tracking on the duplicate.
If that happens to be a good number, then you will likely show someone else's package delivered to wrong address. Not smart of the sup, for sure.