Overlap plan

Please help. Trying to check a HD only route with 500 approx stops and 3 psa. I feel like overlap will be difficult as routes swap with ground will mean my number of stops go down removing me from ISP compliance. I have a meeting with the ground folks in the area and I am trying to establish a plan to handle overlap. Any ideas on what are the things I should take care of?

The Youngin' Of It All

With the VRP going away next month or so I hear, the best piece of advice I can offer you is to own the whole zip code for Ground and HD. Don't make pizza pie cuts in splitting the town. Make the routes as dense as possible and plan them accordingly regardless HD or G. I'm about 80% overlapped and that's what I've been doing Tuesday to Friday for operations and it's increased my stops per hour and productivity while lowering my fuel and mileage. Think of it like this, would you rather work it out with the other contractors or FedEx management? Trade trucks, dollars, whatever it takes but do not put it in the offices hand unless you really want it to risk losing everything or getting stuck with the short end of the stick. Look at this as your last opportunity to really grow and make sure you get the most value out of it possible.

bacha29

Please help. Trying to check a HD only route with 500 approx stops and 3 psa. I feel like overlap will be difficult as routes swap with ground will mean my number of stops go down removing me from ISP compliance. I have a meeting with the ground folks in the area and I am trying to establish a plan to handle overlap. Any ideas on what are the things I should take care of?
The intent all along was to reduce the total number of contractors as well as making those who remain totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company. Yes, you sign a service contract which now includes an NDA but the company openly states that it does not bind itself to any of the terms set forth in that contract allowing it to change amend and interpret those terms in any fashion it so desires. In addition it openly states that it's objective is not to create equity for contractors but rather to acquire the lowest cost trucking and labor it can obtain.When the consolidation of G and HD is completed what you'll be left with is a single operation that will run 6 days a week year round and Fat Freddy has mentioned the possibility of going to 7 days a week.

With these unpleasant realities in mind it then becomes up to you to decide how much money you want to throw at this thing especially if it's borrowed money.

It will be fine

Don't buy anything that isn't already overlapped. Don't trust a handshake with the Ground guy that you'll work things out when the time comes. Only put up money on a contract that is compliant with the new rules. You aren't going to make back your purchase price before the new rules take effect so I'd say the risk is too great.

That is a scary advice from someone who is titled it will be fine. I do agree though, the risk looks huge. I will however like to speak to ground guys and get the complete picture to evaluate the risk before deciding.

bbsam

Staff member
On the flip side, the Ground guys have to get overlapped as well. We have one guy locally with his heels dug in. The problem is that if he doesn't move forward with the rest of us now, he'll be cut out of the overlap process and won't have his agreement renewed in 2019 when it expires.

Last edited:

It will be fine

On the flip side, the Ground guys have to get overlapped as well. We have one guy locally with his heels gig in. The problem is that if he doesn't move forward with the rest of us now, he'll be cut out of the overlap process and won't have his agreement renewed in 2019 when it expires.
I'm saying if you're buying now only buy an overlapped CSA. If the Ground guy is willing to trade/sell then do it when you buy. Don't trust or hope that you'll work it out in a year, do it now and know you're set.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm saying if you're buying now only buy an overlapped CSA. If the Ground guy is willing to trade/sell then do it when you buy. Don't trust or hope that you'll work it out in a year, do it now and know you're set.
I see your point. I'm not sure how non colocations are making it work. In fact it's very possible that X won't approve an outside sale unless the area is overlapped.

The seller has actually confirmed with X that he can sell but I will definitely try to be done with all the trading part before I get in. It will require a hell lot of work though as the ground guys are separate owners under one company and I am very new to this.

bacha29

That is a scary advice from someone who is titled it will be fine. I do agree though, the risk looks huge. I will however like to speak to ground guys and get the complete picture to evaluate the risk before deciding.
IWBF is 100% correct. There is an abundance of contracts for sale out there but as he says you have to look closely at the reasons why they're for sale such as areas not overlapped with no bilateral agreement in place with the eventual outcome anyone's guess. In addition you have to be on the lookout for and you're seeing a lot of it these days contractors who are so called 'downsizing" but in reality all they're doing is lumping together unprofitable routes putting them up for sale in the hope that some poor unsuspecting starry eyed slug will come wandering in off the street and actually buy them.

bacha29

The seller has actually confirmed with X that he can sell but I will definitely try to be done with all the trading part before I get in. It will require a hell lot of work though as the ground guys are separate owners under one company and I am very new to this.
Separate owners under one company? Are you buying contracts from two individual contractors? if so do you know how many daily routes each currently has and if they are simply parting out the ones that are unprofitable ?

The hd person is just one owner but the ground guys I have heard are more than one. I have all the info from HD but I have a meeting setup with ground and will make sure to get all the info from them. I have toured the HD and collected its financials and it seems ok. The seller is trying to sell this piece so he can buy ground for the rest of his routes which is his bigger area. I collected fedex weekly settlement for all his routes and compared these HD routes and it seemed ok. I will do a proper due dilligence of the numbers later again though.

bacha29

The hd person is just one owner but the ground guys I have heard are more than one. I have all the info from HD but I have a meeting setup with ground and will make sure to get all the info from them. I have toured the HD and collected its financials and it seems ok. The seller is trying to sell this piece so he can buy ground for the rest of his routes which is his bigger area. I collected fedex weekly settlement for all his routes and compared these HD routes and it seemed ok. I will do a proper due dilligence of the numbers later again though.
It doesn't stop there. Are you buying the trucks and if so then the question becomes how old they are what kind of shape they're in and what do his maintenance records look like. Does he fix them when they're broke or does he fix them when they quit running? How much is still owed on them? The next question surrounds his payroll records. Are his quarterly's being submitted on time and in the correct amounts? What about turnover? Most G and HD routes have 3 drivers per truck. One coming,one driving and one leaving. Will drivers stay if you take over and how much will they want if you do?

You're sole purpose for being a XG contractor is to serve as X's pathway to cheap trucking and labor. You entire success will be based on two specific conditions. First your area is in a primarily population dense metro area with a modern transportation network in a favorable climate with high per capita incomes. Secondly you will need to be completely certain that there will always be somebody walking through that door physically able and psychologically willing to deliver top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money and do it an a continuous daily basis for an extended period of time. A thorough investigation into these areas will give you a clear picture as to what you are actually get yourself into.
Yes, it's doable but far more challenging that you may think. BTW be prepared to spend at lot of your time in the truck.......or under it.

Thanks a lot for the list of things to take care of. I feel good that I have all of them checked out already for HD routes. Reading other threads with your comments here really helped me.

instiches

I have talked to some of the Ground contractors in my HD zips, but it seems like most are waiting to get a clearer picture of what the overlap terms will be. Too much uncertainty on what the actual terms will be for contracts moving forward from that point.

It will be fine

Thanks instiches. Can you elaborate the main sticking points that they need clarity on?
You get paid less for overlap. Fedex basically pockets all the savings that come with the greater stop density. When I overlapped I lost $100-200/truck/week. The growth takes a few years to get revenues back to what they were prior.