Overworked?

ManInBrown

I am afraid if you signup as a driver with UPS either package or feeder you are in for long hours. That did not just start since the pandemic .I started as a pc driver in 1978 and it was the same when I retired in 2012. It is NOT 9 a 9 to 5 ! Back in the day a 50 to 55 hour week was normal . Thank God for a good Wife,when I got home most nights my kids were already in bed.The trade off was the $ bill , they did not want for anything . I get what the drivers in Jacksonville are up against, you complain enough they will take some stops off of you. But somehow another you look around and that stop count comes creeping back up. It does not help when your BA seems to be in bed with management . They might be fighting a loosing battle .
I work 8.5 hours every single day. I never crack 45 hours per week. There are avenues and tools to control your workday. In package I utilized all tools available. In feeders it’s not necessary. They don’t care. You don’t want OT. There’s 10 other drivers happily ready to pick up the slack. It’s not true to say this job is a forced 55 hour workweek. It’s forced, if you allow them to do it.

In the 177 they cannot force a 6th day. If I was still in package, and worked in a local where it was allowed, i would call out every single Saturday. Sorry can’t work, fatigued. Can’t operate the vehicle safely, and work safely. Too tired. Click.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Millions of people who lost their livelihoods this past year are super sad to hear about the poor UPS man making 6 figures and doing better than ever during the pandemic. 😭
Yeah they are home drawing $800 a week unemployment eating steak while I deliver the rims for their Cadillac. I see it all day every day.

34yearpackagehumper

Nailed it ,, I get it , but , that's our generation , these newer millennial crybabies want everything their way ,, you know , the I need AC crowd , and my GPS in my DIADS not working properly ,, give them a map , send them out on the blind on a hot summer day with long pants and COD money in pocket soaked in sweat ! They may change their tune !!
They can forget about ac ! My customers use to see me washed down in sweat and they would ask me why they don't put ac in you all's trucks. My response was " the people that can make those decisions no longer drive the trucks" . Most times they laughed, but that statement was the true . "GPS" what's that ? Ha ha . My last 7 years I ran a route that ran thru 5 small towns . I had a map for each one, after a year or so I didn't need them. Back in the day it would be nothing for me to have 3 or 4 thousand $ in COD money in my pocket. Man I would hate to have that burden these days without being armed . I am sure GPS makes it a little easier to find stops these days, however they just give you more stops to make up for it. I talked to a young pc driver a week or so ago and I total him that I retired from UPS . He looked at the car I was driving and he says retirement must be good to you . I told him yes, and to keep humping your day is coming .

34yearpackagehumper

I work 8.5 hours every single day. I never crack 45 hours per week. There are avenues and tools to control your workday. In package I utilized all tools available. In feeders it’s not necessary. They don’t care. You don’t want OT. There’s 10 other drivers happily ready to pick up the slack. It’s not true to say this job is a forced 55 hour workweek. It’s forced, if you allow them to do it.

In the 177 they cannot force a 6th day. If I was still in package, and worked in a local where it was allowed, i would call out every single Saturday. Sorry can’t work, fatigued. Can’t operate the vehicle safely, and work safely. Too tired. Click.
You must be a shop steward with all those perks ! The 55 hr weeks still happens in my area . The guys complain all the way to the bank . PC drivers doing 100k plus and to tired to spend it .

Indecisi0n

Millions of people who lost their livelihoods this past year are super sad to hear about the poor UPS man making 6 figures and doing better than ever during the pandemic. 😭
It does suck. I mean with everything being closed what am I suppose to spend my money on? I can barely get in to see a doctor to pay my $10 co pay and my stupid pension keeps going up. Wtf man.

JL 0513

It does suck. I mean with everything being closed what am I suppose to spend my money on? I can barely get in to see a doctor to pay my $10 co pay and my stupid pension keeps going up. Wtf man.

Seriously, it's hard to find places to take all of our money.