Owners?

eiknx

I work for owner that has contract with Fedex. 6am-6pm M-friend. Go to the Fedex yard, check-in, get into my 18foot truck and go. 110-120 stops 220-250 packages + 14-20 pickups 300-400 packages. What is he making off of me weekly?

eiknx

I'm a newbie, sorry. Just registered on this site, never new about "forums". I apologize for any wrong terminology, unfamiliar with what you guys use here. I got all excited when I found out I can ask questions that I been wanting to get answered.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I work for owner that has contract with Fedex. 6am-6pm M-friend. Go to the Fedex yard, check-in, get into my 18foot truck and go. 110-120 stops 220-250 packages + 14-20 pickups 300-400 packages. What is he making off of me weekly?

I cannot give you an exact figure, but "screwing you blind" sounds about right. What are they paying you?

bbsam

Staff member
I could probably tell pretty closely what the income side of the equation is but depending on where you are and what your pay is and applicable taxes and fees, there is no way to tell what his profit is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I could probably tell pretty closely what the income side of the equation is but depending on where you are and what your pay is and applicable taxes and fees, there is no way to tell what his profit is.

Most of the Ground straight truck drivers I know are flat-rated (salary) at $100 above the going rate for regular Ground drivers, which is around $600 per week. Most of them have shelving built-in, and can carry a lot of packages. My guess is that these are the most profitable routes based on piece-count alone, and that the contractor does very well on them.

bbsam

Staff member
Most of the Ground straight truck drivers I know are flat-rated (salary) at $100 above the going rate for regular Ground drivers, which is around $600 per week. Most of them have shelving built-in, and can carry a lot of packages. My guess is that these are the most profitable routes based on piece-count alone, and that the contractor does very well on them.
that is not my experience. The piececount has to stay astronomical to make any money at all with those. Most profitable are the extremely dense 200 stop 400 package routes. The only good thing about straight truck route is that anyone with a strong back can do them.

whenIgetthere

On my route, there is a ground driver in a straight truck, who handles all the bulk stops. He is also the owner.

eiknx

$750-taxes=$610 weekly. Now that peek is over I'm running 100 deliveries, 240 packages with 15-18 pickups 200-300 packages, so total of 115 stops.

STFXG

Highest profit are trucks with low miles. Go out full with a lot of stops like bbsam said. And come back full with medium/smaller sized shippers.

eiknx

Highest profit are trucks with low miles. Go out full with a lot of stops like bbsam said. And come back full with medium/smaller sized shippers.

I just want to know what others drivers for contractors get paid, to see if he is playing me.

STFXG

I just want to know what others drivers for contractors get paid, to see if he is playing me.
500-900 weekly depending on the workload. You're in the normal range... Whats your average hours? 8-10 hours? 115 stops is not very heavy so you are making a fair amount. (Fair as in not working more than the average driver for that wage). Of course that's just a guess. Lots of variables.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
$750-taxes=$610 weekly. Now that peek is over I'm running 100 deliveries, 240 packages with 15-18 pickups 200-300 packages, so total of 115 stops.

I think all Ground drivers are being ripped-off, so I'm biased. I'm not going to reveal my exact wage because it would help locate me, but it's over $25 per hour. UPS is over $30 per hour. Your job is simpler, but 60 hrs per week for $750 is $12.50 per hour and our wages do not include benefits, which hike the dollar level significantly, especially at UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
500-900 weekly depending on the workload. You're in the normal range... Whats your average hours? 8-10 hours? 115 stops is not very heavy so you are making a fair amount. (Fair as in not working more than the average driver for that wage). Of course that's just a guess. Lots of variables.

"Fair"? eiknx...consider the source.

STFXG

750/40 = 18.75.

At 12.50 per hour add an additional 30-40 percent for a full benefits package and his hourly would be 16.25-17.50.

So is 18.75 per hour a fair wage or 12.50 per hour plus full benefits?

That's based off his workload.

overflowed

750/40 = 18.75.

At 12.50 per hour add an additional 30-40 percent for a full benefits package and his hourly would be 16.25-17.50.

So is 18.75 per hour a fair wage or 12.50 per hour plus full benefits?

That's based off his workload.

Starting Express courier is at 17.50 at lower market areas.
That means not expensive city areas . Need to clarify sorry. Not sure if ground drivers know our lingo.
I would hazard a guess that big city couriers are starting around 20.50 maybe more. Not sure about that one, am sure about lower market though.

Last edited: