Pace of life for a UPS driver.

kingOFchester

We all work long hard hours. We work a tough job. But I have to say that the day in a package car goes by fast. Our entire day has time restraints. Air commits. Saver commits. Pickup commits. As tough as the job can be, it seems to me the days seem to fly by. Right now we have a lot of extras and I am able to snag a few days off to concentrate on my other work. But I can't help to notice how slow the days go by when I am not in a package car.

Many moons ago I worked a desk job. At times it seemed as though the clock stopped.

The Sopranos - Vito's work (S06E10) - YouTube

Am I the only one that experiences this phenomenon?

stealth8

Wait until you retire!
After almost 33 yrs (all as a pkg car driver) I retired last November. It was like going " cold turkey "! It took me 3 months to wind down from the fast pace of life at UPS. It was a tough adjustment, but it was the best decision I have made both physically and mentally. I am now an expert on leading a life of leisure! Good luck to all of you hard working guys and gals out there! Cheers Stealth

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Wait until you retire!
After almost 33 yrs (all as a pkg car driver) I retired last November. It was like going " cold turkey "! It took me 3 months to wind down from the fast pace of life at UPS. It was a tough adjustment, but it was the best decision I have made both physically and mentally. I am now an expert on leading a life of leisure! Good luck to all of you hard working guys and gals out there! Cheers Stealth
Only 22 more years to go...maybe this'll help:

There's no place like retirement. :tap steel toes together three times....

There's no place like retirement. :tap steel toes together three times.....

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I have to deal with major depression. However, one of the most effective ways to cope with depression is by exercising, release some adrenaline and serotonin. What is UPS but a paid exercising program! Even on "bad days", the pressure to get done keeps me amped up. For all the stress it causes me, my life as a pkg car driver has been something of a life-saver as well.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
After being off for 7 1/2 months on a work injury, I was actually glad to go back to work. Yesterday was 1 month back to work and I can't believe a month has gone by already. Where the hell did it go? :surprised:

STFXG

So used to the pace that I have a hard time relaxing when I'm off more than one day. Have to constantly find things to do around the house. Drives my wife crazy.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's a pretty good mix for me really. Outside of work I'm actually pretty lazy. I'd love to have a 4 day work schedule with the same pay but I know that's not happening anytime soon.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
So used to the pace that I have a hard time relaxing when I'm off more than one day. Have to constantly find things to do around the house. Drives my wife crazy.

right there with you.. one day i want to slloowwww ddoooowwwnnn

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We all work long hard hours. We work a tough job. But I have to say that the day in a package car goes by fast. Our entire day has time restraints. Air commits. Saver commits. Pickup commits. As tough as the job can be, it seems to me the days seem to fly by. Right now we have a lot of extras and I am able to snag a few days off to concentrate on my other work. But I can't help to notice how slow the days go by when I am not in a package car.

Many moons ago I worked a desk job. At times it seemed as though the clock stopped.

The Sopranos - Vito's work (S06E10) - YouTube

Am I the only one that experiences this phenomenon?

Had a guy ask me yesterday what time I would be done. I said oh not bad tonight 7-7:30 last night I didn't get home til 10.

He said wow. I know you guys get paid well but u work your asses off and deserve every penny.

instantK

I agree with OP.... I love the fact the time flies out on the road... The vid OP posted reminded me of my first desk job... awful.

S

serenity now

with those days going by so quickly, you will discover at some point.................

that the years have also slipped away

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

with those days going by so quickly, you will discover at some point.................

that the years have also slipped away

"...and the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy and the man in the moon, when you comin' home son, I don't know when, but we'll get together then---you know we'll have a good time then."