Package Car Confessions

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Went out today with an on road sup. In passing I mentioned some of the many issues some of the drivers and myself were having with the company lately. The biggest gripe I had was the additional routes they have been cutting on Monday's and Friday's and how big the routes have gotten and how many more stops they've added on those days to the drivers. I asked why they thought it was smart to pay top rate drivers 11-12 hours a day when they could run more trips and bring in covers and pay them half as much and get the full timers home by 5 or 6PM. He straight up said "it's because we want the old timers out and to keep a rotating door of part time covers who turn over before their benefits kick in." I've been begging for accountability and truthfulness from management, it was so cruel, but I certainly respected the straight up answer.

Box Ox

"it's because we want the old timers out and to keep a rotating door of part time covers who turn over before their benefits kick in." I've been begging for accountability and truthfulness from management, it was so cruel, but I certainly respected the straight up answer.

We're all on a conveyor belt with a meat grinder at the end of it at this point. It's the best way for the Company to maximize profits.

Hellobrown2000

Went out today with an on road sup. In passing I mentioned some of the many issues some of the drivers and myself were having with the company lately. The biggest gripe I had was the additional routes they have been cutting on Monday's and Friday's and how big the routes have gotten and how many more stops they've added on those days to the drivers. I asked why they thought it was smart to pay top rate drivers 11-12 hours a day when they could run more trips and bring in covers and pay them half as much and get the full timers home by 5 or 6PM. He straight up said "it's because we want the old timers out and to keep a rotating door of part time covers who turn over before their benefits kick in." I've been begging for accountability and truthfulness from management, it was so cruel, but I certainly respected the straight up answer.
I believe that is easier for us to think than what the real answer is. I think they do things like that to try and figure out maximum profitability per route per car. Because if you break down what happens if truly they wanted a high turn over rate they would probably lose more money than what theyou saved. High turn over rate means less experience, less experience means more accidents, more hours on road because of less area knowledge. I think if they truly wanted a high turn over rate they would buck the union. I think the attitude of were replaced easy comes from the fact that there is a line out the door of people waiting to get in so do the job, do it how we say or go. Might be wrong though, they could have some evil plans going on in Atlanta.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our center is drying up. We can't get anyone to work. We are short about 4 pre loaders. Got 4 ft drivers coming in at 6 am to start each day. To load and pick up our air. If that is their plan. The full time work will be plentiful. They aren't lined up at the door like years past. Wonder if they will get enough helpers for x mas?

The Driver

I drive.
Our center is drying up. We can't get anyone to work. We are short about 4 pre loaders. Got 4 ft drivers coming in at 6 am to start each day. To load and pick up our air. If that is their plan. The full time work will be plentiful. They aren't lined up at the door like years past. Wonder if they will get enough helpers for x mas?

We will get half the help we need and then half of those will quit before peak is over.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
He's confused, it's not drivers they are trying to get rid of and churn. Ask him how his insurance premiums are, how he likes the new "enhanced" retirement program, and how many drivers have gone into supervision as of late. Finally, ask him who's more expendable, the ones they beg to come to work and go FT, or the ones that are looking at reports on the ones doing the work.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There is a belief that we want high turnover, but really it isn't very true. Do some want it? Sure. But retention has been a hot topic, especially in the PT ranks.

It's all about maximizing returns from every asset on road. Does it get ridiculous sometimes? Absolutely. But everybody associates being old with being slow and it's not really true. At least from my experience. The older guys know that Joe Schmo isn't going to be home at 2PM because he's at work, but he delivers to his office so he'll just redirect it there. He may not work faster, but he is more efficient with the work that is given to him, because he knows his area and a lot of people.

The younger guys may run and take more risks. But they have an increased risk of injury and accidents. Our greatest injury risk guys are between 1-5 years. They also tend to misdeliver more, and complain a lot more. The older driver may come in and ask why he has a big day. I can explain it and that will be that. The young guy will sit there and whine all day because he has to be home in time to watch his show on the Weather Channel with the hot anchor. And you will hear about that ONE DAY the rest of the week.

I'll take an experienced driver over a fresh one any day. The young one may get more work off faster, but I can depend on the experienced guy.

OrionsBitch

Not...
There is a belief that we want high turnover, but really it isn't very true. Do some want it? Sure. But retention has been a hot topic, especially in the PT ranks.

It's all about maximizing returns from every asset on road. Does it get ridiculous sometimes? Absolutely. But everybody associates being old with being slow and it's not really true. At least from my experience. The older guys know that Joe Schmo isn't going to be home at 2PM because he's at work, but he delivers to his office so he'll just redirect it there. He may not work faster, but he is more efficient with the work that is given to him, because he knows his area and a lot of people.

The younger guys may run and take more risks. But they have an increased risk of injury and accidents. Our greatest injury risk guys are between 1-5 years. They also tend to misdeliver more, and complain a lot more. The older driver may come in and ask why he has a big day. I can explain it and that will be that. The young guy will sit there and whine all day because he has to be home in time to watch his show on the Weather Channel with the hot anchor. And you will hear about that ONE DAY the rest of the week.

I'll take an experienced driver over a fresh one any day. The young one may get more work off faster, but I can depend on the experienced guy.
You forget......younger guys have young kids at home who are just getting into activities such as little league etc.....old guys kids are graduated from HS off to college or out of college and living away from home.....still makes sense to :censored2: all over the young guys? Morally no.....but from a business standpoint yes. They are paid less, can no longer get on 9.5 and are more likely to run their ass of to have a chance at making a game. But in reality they miss it because they are over dispatched, old guys take the day off and force younger guys to run routes or the younger guys can't get an 8 hour because the old guys want one to go home and do not need....nice insight though.

wayfair

swollen member
You forget......younger guys have young kids at home who are just getting into activities such as little league etc.....old guys kids are graduated from HS off to college or out of college and living away from home.....still makes sense to :censored2: all over the young guys? Morally no.....but from a business standpoint yes. They are paid less, can no longer get on 9.5 and are more likely to run their ass of to have a chance at making a game. But in reality they miss it because they are over dispatched, old guys take the day off and force younger guys to run routes or the younger guys can't get an 8 hour because the old guys want one to go home and do not need....nice insight though.

young guys need to realize this isn't a 9-5 job

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Everybody on here assumes we look at what they make when loading up younger guys, but you want to know something? Whether you work 12 hours at top rate or 12 hours at 18.75 or whatever the starting rate is now, it doesn't change my numbers whatsoever.

Older guys have it easier because they worked years to get to those routes. They weren't just handed to them. Crap rolls downhill, and the young guys are at the bottom unfortunately.

OrionsBitch

Not...
young guys need to realize this isn't a 9-5 job
That's the classic rebuttal that has been driven into your head. This job could easily be 8:30-6:30 every day.....Tell me one reason drivers couldn't be off by 6:30? There isn't any. Businesses close at 5.....most pickups aren't later than 6. So anything you have to say refuting this is bull:censored2:.

Most employees don't complain about being off by 6:30-7....it's when the young guys get loaded up and work till 7:30-8-8:30 night after night. It's not necessary and not right. The contract says "reasonable dispatches". Anything past 7 isn't reasonable.

I love watching the young guys have a complete meltdown in the morning. I understand wanting to get home early and so does UPS. They will just keep pounding those guys to see how fast they will run.

Me...I usually don't day anything. I just get in my truck and do it. If you bury me, o just return the favor. Not Worth getting fired up over it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's the classic rebuttal that has been driven into your head. This job could easily be 8:30-6:30 every day.....Tell me one reason drivers couldn't be off by 6:30? There isn't any. Businesses close at 5.....most pickups aren't later than 6. So anything you have to say refuting this is bull:censored2:.

Most employees don't complain about being off by 6:30-7....it's when the young guys get loaded up and work till 7:30-8-8:30 night after night. It's not necessary and not right. The contract says "reasonable dispatches". Anything past 7 isn't reasonable.
You're looking at the time of day as a solid number, but start times are changing. 7PM is a lot different with an 8AM start than a 945. I know one building that starts that late everyday. An 8 hour with an hour lunch gets you to 645. That's a small day at this company.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I love watching the young guys have a complete meltdown in the morning. I understand wanting to get home early and so does UPS. They will just keep pounding those guys to see how fast they will run.

Me...I usually don't day anything. I just get in my truck and do it. If you bury me, o just return the favor. Not Worth getting fired up over it.
I'm getting it more with the older guys recently. I'll move air stops around, but I'm not making huge swings. By the time guys are rolling in it's too late.