Package Car driver position.

kmjs14

I am currently a p/t package handler and hope someday to go friend/t. I have recently read a thread about telematics and was wondering what other drivers are experiencing out in the field? Is it really as bad or getting as bad as this website claims?

UPSBluRdg03

We dont even have Telematics in my center. No mention of it anytime soon either. Doesnt really make a difference though. If you do the job safely and the way your suppose to, you got nothing to worry about.

kmjs14

I hear many drivers go into management because drivings so easy and boring, they want a challenge. True?

I know that package car drivers work their butt off every day and make excellent cash but this site makes it seem like it's not worth it to become a driver (at least the direction the company is taking).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We don't have telematics either, but it should be no big deal if you have it or not. UPS pays me $30.01 an hour to climb into the package car using the handrail, shut the bulkhead door, put the seatbelt on, and stay on my delivery area. Its their truck and equipment, I don't care if it has GPS in it. Thats just the way you have to look at it. In a way, my Center probably needs it because we have a bad safety record. We are audited constantly and we still have drivers getting caught without a seatbelt on. We had one in the other Center get fired for it a couple of weeks ago.

kmjs14

We don't have telematics either, but it should be no big deal if you have it or not. UPS pays me $30.01 an hour to climb into the package car using the handrail, shut the bulkhead door, put the seatbelt on, and stay on my delivery area. Its their truck and equipment, I don't care if it has GPS in it. Thats just the way you have to look at it. In a way, my Center probably needs it because we have a bad safety record. We are audited constantly and we still have drivers getting caught without a seatbelt on. We had one in the other Center get fired for it a couple of weeks ago.

A driver was fired b/c he/she wasn't wearing a seatbelt?? I thought our jobs were pretty secure unless you lied or stole from the company...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A driver was fired b/c he/she wasn't wearing a seatbelt?? I thought our jobs were pretty secure unless you lied or stole from the company...

He will probably get his job back if its the first time, but its still crazy not to wear one. A week before this, we had another driver get suspended a couple of days when he got caught. The bad part about him, he was in a bad interstate accident where the seatbelt saved his life a couple of years ago. A truck in front of him lost a wheel and he had traffic on both sides of him. He tried to straddle it thinking it was just a tire, but the wheel was attached and it knocked the whole front axle off the package car, sending him into the concrete median wall. He stayed in the P7, but was out of work with a broke leg for about six months. We had another driver get thrown out of a P800 that was probably not wearing a belt. That was a year ago and he is still trying to learn to walk. He will never be back. So in some ways, we get telematics because of doing stupid things like this.

kmjs14

He will probably get his job back if its the first time, but its still crazy not to wear one. A week before this, we had another driver get suspended a couple of days when he got caught. The bad part about him, he was in a bad interstate accident where the seatbelt saved his life a couple of years ago. A truck in front of him lost a wheel and he had traffic on both sides of him. He tried to straddle it thinking it was just a tire, but the wheel was attached and it knocked the whole front axle off the package car, sending him into the concrete median wall. He stayed in the P7, but was out of work with a broke leg for about six months. We had another driver get thrown out of a P800 that was probably not wearing a belt. That was a year ago and he is still trying to learn to walk. He will never be back. So in some ways, we get telematics because of doing stupid things like this.

I am in no way disagreeing that wearing a seat belt or safety issues are not important and may warrant a warning or discipline, but to be terminated for this is extreme IMHO. With what I am reading on posts and this site it just seems there is little room for error as a driver. I know if you do your job efficiently and by the methods you shouldn't have any problems, but we are all human and can make mistakes at any given time. I just want to believe that being a package car driver is an excellent career path (as well as SECURE) at UPS.

brett636

We've had it for a year and a half. For me it changed very little how I work each day. The biggest change was to remember to close the bulkhead door before backing up to a dock since most of the trucks I take out have swinging rear doors. Other than that I can't really find it all that much of a pain. I had a couple instances where it malfunctioned and showed me constantly taking off my seatbelt when I was moving, but it was nothing I was disciplined for since it was obvious something was wrong with a sensor. Just do the job as your trained to do it and everything will be fine.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We don't have this in my center, but it seems that it can be a monkey on your shoulder. I'm not perfect but I follow methods pretty well, other then the bulk head in residential areas. Exactly what do they do to obtain this information from your day, and how is it then implemented?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am in no way disagreeing that wearing a seat belt or safety issues are not important and may warrant a warning or discipline, but to be terminated for this is extreme IMHO. With what I am reading on posts and this site it just seems there is little room for error as a driver. I know if you do your job efficiently and by the methods you shouldn't have any problems, but we are all human and can make mistakes at any given time. I just want to believe that being a package car driver is an excellent career path (as well as SECURE) at UPS.

NOTHING! in this world is ever SECURE. Don't ever take it for granted.