Package car driving hours

K

kidlogic

If you goto the Dept of Transportation's website at this link http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov then goto the bottom of the page and click on HOS frequently asked questions. Then click on question 16 does anybody get that we can drive 10 hours a day????? Help

O

over9five

It says we can drive 11 hours a day. But remember, UPS can show (by DIAD record), that we didnt actually drive 11 hours. We do delivery and p/u stops. Perhaps in that 11 hours we only drive 5 hours. The "no more than 12 hours on duty" is probably more important for us to know.
Now look at the next answer. "Off-duty breaks during the day do not extend the workday". Does that mean if you take a lunch, AND punch out at ten hours, THAT makes your 11 hours driving? (Not us, of course. We only drove 5 hrs, remember?)

O

over9five

OK. Then the only thing that matters to us is the 12 hour on duty rule, correct? We can drive on the clock for 13 hours, because 1 hour was lunch, AND we did not exceed 10 hours driving because we only actually drove 5.

K

kidlogic

You can be on road for 12 hours and drive 11 hours. Lunch is not a fact here.

T

tieguy

Like I previously said I've posted my credentials. I know where I stand. Any further responses on this subject on my part will result in people like dammor jumping in and accusing me of picking on the kid punk. Therefore I'm done with the idiot.

K

kidlogic

So what your saying tie is that the Federal Dept of Transportation's website has the wrong information???? It has the right facts and it makes you look like the idiot because you shot your mouth off and were wrong....again....

K

kidlogic

This is the wording from the website. I just copied and pasted it here...you all judge who is right.
HOS Frequently Asked Questions
Does the driving time for 100 air mile radius exception drivers (require no log book) increase to 11 hours or is it kept at its current limitation of 10 hours driving?

A property-carrying driver using the 100 air mile radius exception is subject to the 11-hour driving time, 12-hour on-duty time, and 10-hour off-duty time requirements of the new rule. However, a passenger-carrying driver using the 100 air mile radius exception is subject to the 10-hour driving time, 12-hour on-duty time, and 8-hour off-duty time requirement of the old rule.

K

kidlogic

Just as I thought Tie. When faced with the truth you become silent.

F

feeder

Those rules apply only to feeders, now pkg-car, ups management can work a driver for 15 working hours>>16 hours, including the meal being taken. UPS can use and abuse us, but they wont go as far as having a pkg-car drv. punch out around 11:30pm at nite..But some drivers can tell you at some point in their years with ups, they have punched out late, I did, long time ago around 10:30PM at nite.

T

tieguy

thanks Feeder. I wonder how many more posts Kid will need telling him the same thing before he finally realizes he is not a dot expert.

P

pretender

Tieguy--Do your drivers fuel and wash their tractors, or do you have a part-timer do that?

Thanks

F

feeder

Washing and fueling my tractor takes 15 minutes of my time, its also my daily routine at the end of the day. Anyways, UPS would be saving money if they had a part-timer who makes $8.50 a hour wash my tractor vs. A feeder driver on over-time, such as myself, making $9.41 every 15 minutes.. Hehehehehehehehe!!!

T

tieguy

We have both scenarios. Main hub where we have combo carwashers. Outlying center buildings where the drivers wash and fuel their own.

S

sweatyguy

UPS can use and abuse us, but they wont go as far as having a pkg-car drv. punch out around 11:30pm at nite..But some drivers can tell you at some point in their years with ups, they have punched out late, I did, long time ago around 10:30PM at nite.

What are you talkin about...? You should come to our center sometime. At peak and different times of the year I frequently am out until 10. Peak I can remember one night it was 1 am. Got home around 2 am.
grongube.gif

P

pretender

Thanks Tieguy--It makes sense to have drivers in outlying centers wash/fuel their tractors...However, in our Michigan hub, we drivers are also doing our own tractors. I could never figure out why the company would want to pay us $37 an hour to WAIT IN LINE to get into the wash tunnel!

F

feeder

Sweatguy, you must be full of it!!! I figured out your outrageous scenario. Your start time would e 9a.m. to start, you didnt have a helper, I figure you "peak season del. stops had to be 200 stops" which I figure your SPORH had to be 14 SPORH.. Also, you must be a temporary coverdriver, that means they can bring you in when they want, but I cant believe you punching out that time cuz, an ups sup would had to stayed until you returned, and who met you to get your air pkgs and pickups, it seems to me, you must be lying little, nah, I mean alot!!
One more thing, if a ups driver knocked on my door around midnite, I wouldnt know rather to answer the door or get my gun!

Edited for perfection!!!

(Message edited by feeder on September 26, 2003)