Package Car Mechanical Questions

Looking to find out what I can about the package cars used. I've been a mechanic for about 25 yrs & working on becoming one with UPS. My background is from the automotive & lg. truck field. During this time, I've worked on all types of diesel/gas engines & their associated problems. Just haven't worked on package cars. What are the most common problems you mechanics find with them? What engines are used? Are you doing more PM work than large mechanical work? Just trying to figure out what I'm getting into if hired. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
The major engines in use are the T444, or more commonly know as the 7.3 powerstroke, the MB 904, ISB, ISB 07, ISB 10, CHEVY 4.8, 6.0. The old 7.3 from internaional. Cummins 6BT. Chevy 4.3. The work depends on your fleet. Mngt will push for PMI's and LOF's. You will have to work nights for atleast 10-15 yrs.

Big Babooba

You must be proficient in the application of duct tape and posses wire coat hanger bending skills. You also must be able to use mechanic's lingo such as "Part on order" and "Scheduled for repair". You will also get a bonus for each vehicle parked on Red Tag Row.

dragracer66

What building are you being hired at? Clutch and brakes are the most common repairs. Like brown said earlier get use to nights at least 10-15 years. Also are you going to be a teamster or in the IAM? There a big difference in pensions thats why I ask hopefully you'll be in the IAM. Good Luck!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
For the 30 years I worked at UPS our mechanic started at about 4:00p.m. and worked til about 1:00a.m. During those years he had crap trucks to work on (most of them were 20+ years old). He basically had a hammer and a few coat hangers for tools. Us drivers always got a laugh out of his tool assortment. I don't know how he accomplished anything. The overhead doors in the building were always open so in the summer he had to lay under the trucks and fight off swarms of mosquitos and giant water bugs that would crawl up out of the swamp next door. In the winter the doors were opened and shut all night long as the trucks were unloaded, washed and spotted for the next day. After about 9 o'clock once the doors were shut and the building had a chance to warm up a little then he got to lay under the trucks and work with the snow and ice melting off the trucks. We didn't have a separate mechanics work bay so whatever the temp was outside is what he had to work in when the doors were opened. I would check at the facility you would be working in first to see what the working conditions are like. Working as a mechanic at my old center had to be torture.

Giant water bug:

water bug attack - YouTube

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I will be asking more questions from time to time, as I was hired yesterday for the position. After working a couple of weeks notice at my current job, I will start near the end of the month. I will be in NC.