package car OT

Packmule

Used to have problems getting pickups back by 745 almost daily. Got fed up and filed 4 grievances before the first hearing occurred. Since then, I'm usually off by 600
Or 630. Sometimes 530.
Can't get on the 9.5 list cause I don't get enough hours anymore.
Don't sweat the hours. File if you need to and new language should make it easier to get OT under control.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've seen countless drivers on here complain about excessive OT. I understand that every hub is different, but most of our metro is back in the building by 6. I do see drivers coming in late, but they tend to be older, which makes me think they probably want the OT as I'm sure they have enough seniority to have a better route.

The point of me making this thread is because i would like to drive, but the horror stories of excessive OT make me not want to at the same time. Realistically, if i qualified for the 9.5 list, would UPS still load my truck up and just pay the grievances? Any feedback would be appreciated.

In by 6? For many of us we would have to start at 7 am to do that.

giggity

I'm covering a route for a feeder driver right now and his route is PLANNED for 11 hours a day. his last week on it, they had to pull him off early friday b/c he was at 60hrs and the next week when I ran it, I had 56 ~ only b/c it was good Friday and a bunch of places were closed or i'd have been 60 as well. been averaging 55 or so each week. ka-ching!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you want a job where you can work as much as you want, within DOT guidelines, and don't have a family/have an understanding family, then UPS can be one of the best companies you could work for that only requires a high school diploma. It's a lot of BS, hours, micro management, blue collar work, but we are well compensated for most of the shortcomings.

I'll end it with this, find anyone who simply "quits" UPS after 3 or so years of driving, you'll be very hard pressed to do so. How bad can it really be if you can deal with the aforementioned.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
at my center if you work safely,by the methods and do the job as we have been trained to do you will A) work a great deal of Overtime and B) Management will try to harass( and i DO mean "try") you as your"numbers" will be .............not to their liking

I file Excessive OT grievances every week and the center manager has stated it 's cheaper to pay these than to add extra routes

Coldworld

60 months and counting
OT differs from bldg. to bldg. I average 2 hours or less per week and am not the first driver back to the bldg. We have drivers who regularly have guarantee pay on their checks. 9.5 is generally not an issue for us.
Are these the same yahoos who run you over in the parking lot leaving to go home. It's one thing to have a decent dispatch..It's another to run your ass off all day long with no lunch or breaks.

ManInBrown

I've seen countless drivers on here complain about excessive OT. I understand that every hub is different, but most of our metro is back in the building by 6. I do see drivers coming in late, but they tend to be older, which makes me think they probably want the OT as I'm sure they have enough seniority to have a better route.

The point of me making this thread is because i would like to drive, but the horror stories of excessive OT make me not want to at the same time. Realistically, if i qualified for the 9.5 list, would UPS still load my truck up and just pay the grievances? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes Sir. At least where I am. Trucks blown out every day. They just pay the grievance. I average 47-50 a week

Theking30

SHORTY
Amazing how different the centers are. I average 50 hours. Hit 58 a few weeks in a row last month. Then it has dropped off lately. I see 8 or 8:30 a lot. Sad thing is the route next to me wants overtime and I get more than him.

ManInBrown

You have to know what you're getting into when you take the big boy seat. You will very rarely hit your front door before 7pm majority of weekdays. Where I am, if I get home at or before 7 it was a really good day. 730-8 is the norm.

Fragile

I've been noticing lately they've been keeping everyone around 9.5 here and running extra loads. Not sure what's going on, but we like it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Are these the same yahoos who run you over in the parking lot leaving to go home. It's one thing to have a decent dispatch..It's another to run your ass off all day long with no lunch or breaks.
Don't give them idiots your lunch. Especially if your full scale, your giving them 50 bux an hour. Do the math you give them 5 or 6 hours that's 250 to 300 your taking out of stuffing your 401k or Ira. Its all about business boys, the sooner you learn that the better off youll be.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I've been noticing lately they've been keeping everyone around 9.5 here and running extra loads. Not sure what's going on, but we like it.
Take it while it lasts, cause that aint going to last long. If you've been driving long enough, nothing on this job lasts long.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't give them idiots your lunch. Especially if your full scale, your giving them 50 bux an hour. Do the math you give them 5 or 6 hours that's 250 to 300 your taking out of stuffing your 401k or Ira. Its all about business boys, the sooner you learn that the better off youll be.
What's scary is how many old timers skip their lunch...they honestly feel compelled to do this for the greater good of the company....it's sad

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In the beginning when your not full scale, you tend to want to get done earlier and get home earlier. Once you get to full scale and gets some miles on yourself, you learn to slowdown and look at in more of a business perspective, probably because you have a family or a mortgage, once you get settled into the job. Like I said its all about business and last time I checked, everything in society pricewise is doing nothing but inflating. I just don't see the point in going home an hour earlier when you could just stay out that extra hour at 50 bux and make more money. Once you get settled in with this job, your going to find out that it dont matter what time you get home your still going to the same routine whether you get home early or late. All bout business always.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Take it while it lasts, cause that aint going to last long. If you've been driving long enough, nothing on this job lasts long.
I've seen drivers bitch about not getting enough hours and mgt not give them more for whatever reason...it's sometimes totally half ass backwards around here...that's the beauty and utmost insanity about it all.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Nothing in this place makes sense. Their too busy playing kindergarten cop and circle jerks with each other instead of worrying about the real problems and actually solving them. Such as the STEVIE WONDER loads, super idiot dispatches and piece of super shiznitt dol's. Nothing but a bunch of AZZCLOWNS in that place for real dude lol.