Package car road test

I have a road test coming up and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for shifting gears in the package car. Also, does anyone know what the best speed for shifting to a higher gear is. For example at 20 mph, shift to gear 3. From what I know about stick gear driving, it's easiest at the right speed.

PT Car Washer

There have been several discussions on the subject of the road test. If your management team wants you as driver you will pass. Unless you kill someone during the test. If management does not want you they will give you an old crappy package car and you will fail. Simple as that.

JL 0513

You should be given the opportunity to practice before the test. Your test. Shouldn't be the first time you've ever driven one.

Problem is, every PC in the country has a different feel. Literally. With the exception of comparing identical brand new trucks. Even old models that were once identical are now totally different because of wear and replacement parts. Every gear box shifts uniquely unfortunately.

killamjl

I dunno if this helps you any but...90% of the package cars I drive have 6 gears Reverse-Low-1-2-3-4

Low is unnecessary unless your going up a hill or towing so don't worry about it, that would be the gear straight down from reverse. So 1 is to get you moving under 5mph, 2 is 5-15mph, 3 is 15-25, 4 is anything faster. If you want smooth shifts I suggest you start in 1st, go 2nd at 10mph, 3rd around 20 mph, and 4th once your past 25.

You will find that changing gears this way is really quick if your not in a loaded PC, but that's how the trucks are geared and you will be less jerky if you change gears quickly, most of the time I only use gear 1,3,4, (don't do that on a test obviously).

One more note, the older PC's like to grind and whine a bit when shifting, so best to delay your gear change 1 or 2 seconds after you depress the clutch.

Good luck

mjjlohn

The best two pieces of advice I can give for the road test are:

Use the hand brake everywhere, especially on inclines it will build good habits and you'll do it automatically when the truck is parked as well.

If you're having trouble getting a gear in you may need to slightly let the clutch out and the gear will slide in. Don't be afraid to ride the clutch if you have to until you get a feel for the truck.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Box Ox

The reverse and 2 (which I always start in) gears are right next to each other and really close together with very little indication of which you're in some of the PCs I've taken out. Hope your sup will let you feel it out in the parking lot before you hit the open road in case you get a stinker.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There have been several discussions on the subject of the road test. If your management team wants you as driver you will pass. Unless you kill someone during the test. If management does not want you they will give you an old crappy package car and you will fail. Simple as that.
Our on cars give everyone the crappiest 25 year old P1000 they can find. They say if you can drive that you can drive anything.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

oldngray

nowhere special
The reverse and 2 (which I always start in) gears are right next to each other and really close together with very little indication of which you're in some of the PCs I've taken out. Hope your sup will let you feel it out in the parking lot before you hit the open road in case you get a stinker.

Reverse can be almost anywhere depending on the transmission so not always next to 2nd. And many trucks don't have the gear pattern on the shifter so you have to figure it out for yourself.

barnyard

KTM rider
For your road test, start in lo or 1st and DO NOT ride the clutch. There are some supes that will fail you for riding the clutch or starting in 2nd.

It sounds like the OP is not familiar with driving a manual. May want to postpone the test and ask to practice in the parking lot.

Pooter

Go rent a Uhaul. Beat the crap out of it till you learn how to drive stick. Good luck finding one since most are autos :D

I dont understand why people wait till the last minute to learn stick if they hope to go driving :(. Wait years and then what? Magic?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go rent a Uhaul. Beat the crap out of it till you learn how to drive stick. Good luck finding one since most are autos :D

I dont understand why people wait till the last minute to learn stick if they hope to go driving :(. Wait years and then what? Magic?

Good luck finding a manual transmission U-Haul.

Sent using BrownCafe App

S

selfcancelsignal

Practice in the UPS yard. Drive both PC's & Straight trucks. My 1st road test was in a straight truck & wasn't the best. I didn't pass, but didn't fail either. Took another 1 in a PC & passed. Learned a lot from driving my father in laws old 4 speed Chevy 1 weekend. Also, there are lots of decent vids. on YouTube you can check out about driving a stick. Doing it yourself w/ lotsa practice is best though.

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal

JL 0513

Manual Uhaul? Doesn't exist. In fact, I doubt you'd find a manual transmission anything at any rental place in this country. Too few customers so no owner would buy one to rent out.

Only thing to do is practice in a PC in the yard. Anyone wanting to drive though should already have plenty of MT driving experience beforehand. I've got about 250,000 miles of MT driving experience.

Mack Grant

I agree with everything you said except for the "old crappy package car" bit.
When I had my road test me and the ORS rode to a satellite center to get a car that looked and drove like it should be on a dung heap. No power steering, hydraulic clutch, no power period. His explanation (and it is true) was that a driver must be able to safely drive the worst package car in existence if the need should arise, and it will.
If you can't safely drive a standard transmission then there's a chance you won't make it depending upon your PT reputation in the hub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center is adding 5-6 package car drivers over the next few months. One of them is a preloader who was my helper this past Peak. He was really concerned about having to drive a standard as he had never done this; in fact, we don't have any manual transmission package cars in our center. Turns out that he won't have to-----in our district if your home center doesn't have any sticks you don't have to take your road test in one or use one during driving school.

PT Car Washer

I agree with everything you said except for the "old crappy package car" bit.
When I had my road test me and the ORS rode to a satellite center to get a car that looked and drove like it should be on a dung heap. No power steering, hydraulic clutch, no power period. His explanation (and it is true) was that a driver must be able to safely drive the worst package car in existence if the need should arise, and it will.
If you can't safely drive a standard transmission then there's a chance you won't make it depending upon your PT reputation in the hub.
This is all true except the person being tested is not an experienced and trained driver yet.