Package car sizes

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Who's the wise acre who decided what size vehicles are required in given routes? Apparently the powers that be have discontinued building the 500s. The only vehicles currently being built are 3s, 7s, 8s, and 10s.
Out here in the west, there are hundreds of routes that require a 5.
3s too small. 7s too big to get into certain places.
Wonders never cease when UPS brainiacs are involved.

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
Who's the wise acre who decided what size vehicles are required in given routes? Apparently the powers that be have discontinued building the 500s. The only vehicles currently being built are 3s, 7s, 8s, and 10s.
it doesn't have to make sense as long as i'm making dollars

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Haven't seen a 300 or 500 in ten years. Someone told me the manufacturer stopped making those models. Along with 1300's, which we need but can't get anymore.

I have never seen a 3 or 7 at my center. Got plenty of 5s and 6s, although the 5s are falling apart
The 3's are being replaced by Dodge Promaster vans at the airport where EAM's are delivered and also a couple of PM air pick up routes. We use about 6 5's for AM delivery and PM pick up routes. We use a lot of 7's (numbers start with a 6xxxxx) for extended delivery routes. 1300's are slowly falling apart and being replaced with new 1000's.

rod

Retired 22 years
Haven't seen a 300 or 500 in ten years. Someone told me the manufacturer stopped making those models. Along with 1300's, which we need but can't get anymore.

Who in there right mind would want a P1300? Give me a P800/1000 and share some of that load with some other lucky driver.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Of the 3 trucks I load, I have a 700, 1000 and 1300. The 700 is bricked out every day and the 1300 has enough room to set up a ping-pong table in the back with ample space to play. Why they don't swap trucks to fit the route demand never ceases to amaze me.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My 7 can out turn the older 5's.

Johney

Of the 3 trucks I load, I have a 700, 1000 and 1300. The 700 is bricked out every day and the 1300 has enough room to set up a ping-pong table in the back with ample space to play. Why they don't swap trucks to fit the route demand never ceases to amaze me.
Just a guess, but maybe the driver with the 1300 has more pick-ups?

rod

Retired 22 years
We have two industrial parks with about 6 drivers in each that come back loaded in 1300 trucks from there.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be used--I'm saying I would want a smaller truck. UPS will always fill a space--no matter if its too much work on a driver or not.

clean hairy

One advantage is that the driver is not bricked out and is able to find stops a bit easier.
Still though, gotta wonder how much extra fuel is being wasted by having a truck much too large for this route you mentioned.