Package handler 15/hr?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
here we go...strap on your seatbelts, grab the beer and popcorn..going to be an interesting week on brown cafe!!

quamba 638

I would be curious to hear from some of the guys/gals that have been at UPS 20+ years:

What was the starting wage when you started?
What year did you start?
Factor in inflation, and I bet it's around 15 dollars and hour.

Notcool

Had a new loader hired on our about 2 weeks ago. Will he be bumped up? Feel bad for the guy making 8.50 he probably quit this week anyway lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I heard new employees will be starting around 11/hr with the new contract.

Under the TA unskilled new pter's is $10/hr, skilled new pter's is $11/hr. No raise until you have been here a year.

Instead of the shinny new raise what's really important is part timer progression. That $1.50 raise becomes a 50 cent raise after 90 days and only 67 cents at the end of progression.

I agree starting pay is too low but I believe even more important would of been to reward the part timers that stay for longer periods.

I wouldn't of had a problem with a 50 cent starting wage increase but give that stick around about a $2 raise over the current progression.

BrownBrokeDown

I would be curious to hear from some of the guys/gals that have been at UPS 20+ years:

What year did you start?

I could be wrong, but from what I recall someone telling me, pre-1980's pters had highers wages at the end of progression than what we have now, and then around 1981 they instituted a two-tier system. DISCLAIMER...THIS IS WHAT I REMEMBER BEING TOLD BY SOMEONE, NOT SAYING IT IS TRUE. If I remember what I was told correctly in 1981 starting wage was changed to 8 or 8.50 an hour.

quamba 638

What year did you start?

I could be wrong, but from what I recall someone telling me, pre-1980's pters had highers wages at the end of progression than what we have now, and then around 1981 they instituted a two-tier system. DISCLAIMER...THIS IS WHAT I REMEMBER BEING TOLD BY SOMEONE, NOT SAYING IT IS TRUE. If I remember what I was told correctly in 1981 starting wage was changed to 8 or 8.50 an hour.
I've actually heard the same a few times.

quamba 638

And that's partly what kills me too. Some FT employees saying they stared at 8.50. Too bad that 8.50 an hour in 1980 is worth about 20dollars an hour today.

PT Car Washer

And that's partly what kills me too. Some FT employees saying they stared at 8.50. Too bad that 8.50 an hour in 1980 is worth about 20dollars an hour today.

When I started Preloaders made about $.55 less an hour than drivers. After 90 days. May be it was 30 days. Yes $8.00 an hour in 1982 was still good money. Worth about $25.00 an hour now.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think it was the 83 contract. Before the pters made a dollar or so less than drivers. Granted it was $8 an hour or some such thing. With inflation it was prolly closer to $17 an hour. What Bagels said in another thread is true, the market dictates starting wage and with the way the American people have folded to corporate America and have allowed unions to slowly die away, we have the WalMart world now. Politics have eroded our wages as well with NAFTA and other laws of it's ilk. We're the last good union for menial workers. But we are on a slow decline.