Package handler interview

Could someone inform me as to what I should wear to a tour/interview for a package handler? I read something on the ups website about closed toed shoes and I believe jeans, but I am unable to find that now. What type of shirt? I get the point it's not a suit and tie kind of a thing, but should I just dress casually like I do everyday, or what? Thanks

drewed

Shankman
Re: New members - Commonly asked questions.

I always say shirt tie slacks, appearance is perception if you take the time to prepare yourself, people take notice
But yea basics would be good looking jeans and a nice looking button down and closed toed shoes (try not to wear tennies)
Could someone inform me as to what I should wear to a tour/interview for a package handler? I read something on the ups website about closed toed shoes and I believe jeans, but I am unable to find that now. What type of shirt? I get the point it's not a suit and tie kind of a thing, but should I just dress casually like I do everyday, or what? Thanks

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Guys, dockers, dress shoes, and a nice shirt. Girls a nice pair of slacks, dress shoes, (not spikes,) flats, and a nice blouse. Easy on the make up, and jewelry. And easy on the cologne for both.
And leave your cell phone in car, and be on time. Be early.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Guys, dockers, dress shoes, and a nice shirt. Girls a nice pair of slacks, dress shoes, (not spikes,) flats, and a nice blouse. Easy on the make up, and jewelry. And easy on the cologne for both.
And leave your cell phone in car, and be on time. Be early.
LOL Tooner, that is good advice for the women. We had a woman show up last peak for a road test, wearing high heels. Her 1st clue should have been the gravel parking lot. She didn't come to work for us.

Last edited:

SoyFish

^ HAHAHA I was coming in here to say "Search - Package Handler"

I tagged my topic, and that pretty much has all the info these people need about the process. (Just ignore the Soy jokes ;))

Forget the nice look approach, go in there looking like a worker. I wore my work clothes from a prior job, rugged worn jeans, steel-toe boots with miles on them, and a plain black tee. They loved it. I'd rather give the impression that I'm there to work as apposed to trying to impress them. And yes, be early.

Cementups

Box Monkey
c'mon, "condsidering" isn't looking fora job in management. Ya'll are sending him/her for a job at an office complex.

C--just go with casual dress. Jeans or shorts are fine. Polo or button down will work. No matter what you will undoubtedly be over-dresses compared to 75% of the workface already in place.

Mike Hawk

LOL Tooner, that is good advice for the women. We had a woman show up last peak for a road test, wearing high heels. Her 1st clue should have been the gravel parking lot. She didn't come to work for us.
A helper last peak showed up in questionable footwear, some of those 2 inch platform/high heel hooker boots. Hey they had sturdy leather uppers, knee high!

brownrodster

Guys, dockers, dress shoes, and a nice shirt.

LOL. I always laugh at newbies who show up for interviews dressed like that. My attire for my interview consisted of some old black shorts with holes in them, a faded old college t-shirt, and some crappy old hiking boots. I looked like I was ready to jump in and unload a trailer right then and there! Anyways, I got the job.

thebrownbox

I had on slacks... dress shoes tucked in shirt...

I looked at some of the others that came in... :-/ jeans BAGGY and kinda sloppy looking... After 3 interviews later I was in!... almost 3 more months and it's been a year already! :anxious: