Package Handler Question

Hello,

I have a tour of the facility scheduled tomorrow for a Package Handler position in Central NY. My only question, is this going to be permanent part-time, or just seasonal PT? I understand nobody will able to give me a definitive answer. I was just wondering base on the time of year of being potentially hired, if it was possible to make a good guess. The facility tour is Friday, August 1, 2014. As I understand it, the process can take up to several weeks, which would obviously bring us into mid-August. Thank you for any and all information.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you get the job....it depends on when you start...and which local you'll be in...and thus how long it'll take you to make book. Asking that question at the tour would make a lot of sense.

Gotcha. It does make sense. It's in a smaller college town in CNY. And the ad on UPS's website has the title of it being PT. Wasn't sure if I was just going to be seasonal or not, because in that case I wouldn't even go to the tour.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Gotcha. It does make sense. It's in a smaller college town in CNY. And the ad on UPS's website has the title of it being PT. Wasn't sure if I was just going to be seasonal or not, because in that case I wouldn't even go to the tour.
It couldn't hurt to go....and find out for sure.

Went to the "tour"/interview yesterday. I use quotes because it wasn't really much of a tour; the center I applied to was just a huge garage with a conveyor belt in the middle, and a small building for package pick-ups, etc.

They're offering two shifts; 4-9AM (sunrise), and 5-10PM (twilight I believe?). Apparently they're hiring a few people for each shift, which increases my chances from the start. It was myself and about 5-6 others. What HURT my chances (unfortunately) was the fact that I'm only available for the twilight shift, and not both. The HR lady (or who I presumed to be) said being available for both certainly isn't a requirement, just increases odds. Oh well, I have classes at 9AM, nothing I can do about it. It's 11/hr for the sunrise, and 10 for the twilight. Even 10/hr for a college kid with no experience is great. It is permanent part-time; they are looking to train workers to be ready for the holidays and certainly stay on.

I was given a short (and I mean short) interview after the position was discussed, etc. Can I start immediately, how did I hear about position, shifts available, and confirmed contact info. I was told they'll be reviewing apps within the week-10 days.

I get the feeling (and I certainly can be wrong, just my thoughts) the position will be given to whom they like the most, which translates to who expresses the most interest/ calls the most, etc. I say this because there are really no qualifications necessary for the position, they just need bodies it seems. Like I said, I could be wrong, but I will certainly call them by next Friday (the 1 week mark). Hopefully I get this because I certainly love the hours and pay and definitely need this job.

I'll leave this up for future PH looking to apply...maybe they can get something out of it. If anyone can give me any tips on how to increase my chances of being hired, that'd be great. Nothing will certainly guarantee my employment, obviously. Wish me luck :D

Ah, I see. Very good to know going forward. Gonna call on the week mark on Friday. All I can really do. From what I can tell, I am almost 100% positive that I was the only college kid at the interview(s). Like I said, the only thing that hurt is the only-being-available-for the twilight shift. If anybody cares or is watching this, I will be posting updates. Any tips along the way certainly are welcome. Thanks for everyone's input so far. Even you, Barnyard :childish: