Package Handler to Package Delivery Driver?

quest01

Hi how long does it take to go from a package handler to a package delivery driver on average?

Also is a package delivery driver a fun job?

Thanks

robot

Has A Large Member
It took me 4 years working part time in the hub before I became a driver. Depends on your location.

I did it for 6 years and hated every single minute of it!

40 and out

That question ought to be good for some good replies. I'll go first. It's so much fun I'd do it for nothing if they'd let us.

quest01

So from reading what some people have said so far is that location determines how long it takes to go from a package handler to a package delivery driver. Do you see a lot of package handlers want to be package delivery drivers down the road or most dont?

robot

Has A Large Member
If you need the money go for it. It pays really well.

It is a pretty stressful job especially if you're a swing driver. Management always up your ass over things you can't control and dealing with the public.

It's not easy work. They definately get their money's worth out of you.

brownrodster

Hi how long does it take to go from a package handler to a package delivery driver on average?

Thanks

The number of years is different for each UPS center. My center has had drivers work pt for 1 years and up to 10 years to finally become driver. Only a person in your center can answer this question.

It depends on a lot of things. Such as, how many drivers are laid off at the moment, how many drivers are close to retirement, how many routes are being added each year (lately routes have been subtracted).

At my center if they trained a new driver right now (which will not happen as we have the bottom 5 drivers on call day to day to see if they even work) the part timer who would get hte job would have 4 years as a pter. I doubt we will train any more drivers for at least another year, if not more.
So if you are in my center then you probably have a 5-6 year wait.

No, UPS driver is not fun. if you are having fun you are not working hard enough. If you are not working hard enough you become a target.

quest01

So if you started as a package handler it could take years to become a package delivery driver? Do a lot of package handlers want to be package drivers sometime down the road?

whiskey

Thanks
4 years on average.
As far as a fun job, study the faces of the drivers in the morning. Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like package car. It's a pleasure to be sad.

quest01

most pt'ers want to drive but alot of them change their mind when they see what the job entails.

When employees first become package drivers and decide they dont like it, do they try changing positions? Also are package delivery drivers full time, part time, or a mix?

Also lastly what is the turnover rate for new package handlers? Is it hard to get a job as a handler now?

Thanks

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You normally have to decide within your first thirty days if its for you.Or the company will decide for you.
After that most places have a bidding system in place ( 1 or 2 yr ), where you might be able to move on to another job. It all depends on your local supplement and what job slots there are.
Turnover also depends upon local conditions.

And yes in most places there is a waiting list for all jobs.

evilleace

actually they almost all work overtime everyday you can disqualify yourself within the first 30 days and go back pt if you want to when i first started turnover was huge almost 100% this last yr almost no turnover though.

brownrodster

For part time package handlers the turnover is extremely high. If you have a pulse then you are hired.

For full time drivers the turnover is virtualy zero.

rorojo

took me a little over year to start driving. I can do without the games played by managemet but over all I love my job. I have wanted to drive for UPS since I was kid. only job I know that keeps you in good shape.

quest01

For part time package handlers the turnover is extremely high. If you have a pulse then you are hired.

For full time drivers the turnover is virtualy zero.

I hear UPS has tours each week and quite a few people go to them and sign up for the first interview. Is there a reason why someone would not get passed the first interview for a package handler position? Is the interview hard or the HR person who conducts the interview just doesn't want to hire the guy?