Package Handler

The Milkman

Stavemist, All the replys to your post are on target. It took me 9 months to get to top rate when I started,and about 8 years before I had my own route.

I was hired as a friend/T driver.

The way I have seen it over the years is that Ups is making it so hard for someone like you to make it very far. I believe their plan is and always will be, is to work the heck out of you, and hope they get a lot out of you, and others, at the starting rates.

And after years of getting the run around (unless you get lucky) hope you leave thus not having another pension to fund and pay benefits. There is always another young gun waiting in line to take your place. Ups makes more $$ paying guys less and in the long run it adds up bigtime for them..Just my 2 cents

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Stavemist, All the replys to your post are on target. It took me 9 months to get to top rate when I started,and about 8 years before I had my own route.

I was hired as a friend/T driver.

The way I have seen it over the years is that Ups is making it so hard for someone like you to make it very far. I believe their plan is and always will be, is to work the heck out of you, and hope they get a lot out of you, and others, at the starting rates.

And after years of getting the run around (unless you get lucky) hope you leave thus not having another pension to fund and pay benefits. There is always another young gun waiting in line to take your place. Ups makes more $$ paying guys less and in the long run it adds up bigtime for them..Just my 2 cents

Strongly agree

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Y not say something helpful rather than just be a :censored2:bag???

I believe he was.
Either you don't know LTD from his previous posts or as the saying goes, "No one is as blind as he who will not see." :sad-little:

There are many people who have been your route that are giving you advise ... it would be wise to let it sink in.

ups1990

Yeah I'm paying attention lol. That sounds almost too good to be true though. If I could be making 10 that would be awesome.
Can you image what a great company UPS would be, if all drivers and managers had this enegry and enthusiasm.

Wear something casual, not to casual though. I,ve seen young people show up to the tour in shorts and sneakers. If you have tatoos, cover then up. Be there 15 minutes before your app.

The fact that you stayed on for almost 4 years at DQ, tells me your probably comm. to your job. You dealt with rude and angry customers, this will help in dealing with supervisors. Some are cool, others weeeeeeelll you know.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The best impression to show at your interview is that you are ready for work. So wear the right outfit, casual and good solid work shoes.
There have been other threads about just what to wear at work and what to bring along to help you. I would strongly suggest that you try the search features of this forum.
And NEVER post " where can I get some UPS socks ? ".

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
WARNING: LONG POST
A lot of questions were asked, and I'm gonna answer 'em. If y'all don't like it, gimme some of them pretty red dots.
Hi everyone,

I am a 19 year old college student and recently applied for a part time package handler job and right after was set up with an appointment for an interview/tour. I have looked on a lot of different sites and forums and most of them say that being a package handler really sucks.

I have been working at a Dairyqueen/OrangeJulius for 3 1/2 years in a mall. If you've ever worked fast food in a mall you know how much it sucks after a while and how it makes you hate people. That's why this job interests me because I don't mind getting dirty and working hard as long as I don't have to deal with customers That is the essence of a UPS package handler. So I have a few questions and I thought the best place to get them answered was on a UPS forum.

What can I expect to start off at? I would be leaving my old job making 8.10/hr. When I applied for the package handler job it says 8.50-9.50/hr with 17 1/2 - 20 hours per week. How do they decide what wage to start you off at and can I get more than 20 hours per week?
Your pay is determined by whatever job assignment they put you in, wherever they have a vacancy. $8.50 is the base wage for hard work, some memorization required. $9.50/hr jobs require more memorization. If you want the hours, always ask for more. You probably won't get them, at least for a few months (more hours should go to people who've worked there longer), but this way you get management conditioned to the idea.
What does a typical package handler day consist of?
Depends on what job you're assigned, and on which sort (sort= UPS' name for work shift). Elsewhere you've mentioned 9PM-3AM=night sort, 3AM-9AM=sunrise sort or preload sort. Unloaders: unloading trailers one box at a time onto the conveyor belt system. Loaders: the boxes come to you from the (conveyor) belts, and you stack them into a trailer or delivery truck (UPS calls them package cars), once you've checked the label and verified it belongs in that truck, and maybe scanned its bar code. Sorting: you read every package's destination label and move it along its way through the bldg to a loader, either putting it on another belt, pushing it down a slide, or into a boxline cage (kind of a merry-go-round for the boxes). Repeat this 1,000 to 5,000 times for your shift. Boxes are up to 70 lbs, trailers are over 9' high inside, overweight items up to 150 lbs. There are some other jobs, but the turnover in those isn't as high, and they're likely filled by people with more seniority. Unloading & loading trailers=$8.50. Sorting packages & loading delivery trucks=$9.50.
Another reason I want to work at UPS is I would love to become an OTR trucker for the company someday. Truck driving is something that I've always wanted to do and that's what I see myself doing as a career. What is the average time on the wait list it takes to become a delivery driver? And how would I go about getting an OTR job with them?
Actual OTR jobs (sleeper teams) were the exception here, as trailers are moved around the country through a network of drivers swapping trailers, or by rail. They are starting to create more OTR jobs.
Thanks for your time. :happy2:
Thanks for the replies. I understand it will be harder than working at DQ lol but I've had it with that job and all its BS and am ready to move onto better things. When I applied the position that was availiable said 3am-9am or 9pm-3am. I'm guessing it doesn't mean the whole six hour shift but means between those time frames?
You're guessing right. You will have have a scheduled start time, no later than 2 hours after those nominal shift start times, and you work until your mgmt says you can go (there is a break), no actual defined end time, but they plan these shifts to run 3 to 4 hours (after 5=overtime).
Thanks for all the input guys it's really helpful. I would like to become a trucker someday but I dunno if I can hold out 10+ years at UPS lol. I really hope I get hired and if I do I'll definitely become an active member here :). If I get the job and it turns out it's really not for me, I'll stick with it through the summer while I study to get my CDL and then I'll try to find a part time delivery type job to gain some experience.
There are part-time delivery jobs @ UPS. you do need to be 21, and those jobs are bid on/filled by seniority.
I have a couple more questions that have been on my mind...
So its true you don't get any of the benefits until you've been working there for 1 year insurance/paid holidays/paid vacation after 1 year ? Does that include tuition assistance that depends on where you are. If UPS thinks they need to offer it to staff their shifts, or it had been available and the union preserved it in negotiations, it's there. Gonna have to ask HR during the interview process?
If I get the job and start at 8.50ow long do you think it would take to advance to 9.50-10? Starting @ 8.50, 9.50 after 90 days, 10.00 after 1 year, 10.50-2yrs, 11-3yrs, 11.87-4yrs. Add $1.00 to each of those if you start or move to the preloader/sorter job.
Might be a stupid question but, what should I wear to the interview? It says to dress casual but I'm not sure how casual lol
I'd recommend twill-"dickies" pants (looks neater than jeans); clean, plain shirt; and most important, sturdy work shoes/boots (steel toe optional)
For the interview/tour, is it like a group of people that tour and get interviewed all at once? Or is it a one on one type thing?
Typically the tour is a group, and a separate one on one interview.

So questions I'd recommend you ask during the interview (not during the tour): Tuition assistance? Current projected waits for part-time "air" driver (you're not old enough now, but the seniority you accrue applies), full time "package" (delivery) driver, "feeder" (tractor/trailer) driver.
BTW, if you're really serious about trying to get a full time driving job at UPS (and I'd say 98 out of 100 times you've got to drive the delivery truck before you get a chance at the tractor/trailers), find out what Teamster Local represents that area (ask some drivers you see), call their office and ask the UPS business agent what they think the projected wait is for full-time driving. Compare that with what UPS HR tells you.

And some questions you need to ask yourself: Which shift to take, if given a choice. Do you have transportation available? Do you have back-up transportation available? Can you handle the late night/early morning hours? What about the missed social activities/school schedule conflicts? Will you have time to shower/change/eat/travel to school after work?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can you image what a great company UPS would be, if all drivers and managers had this enegry and enthusiasm.

Wear something casual, not to casual though. I,ve seen young people show up to the tour in shorts and sneakers. If you have tatoos, cover them up. Be there 15 minutes before your app.

The fact that you stayed on for almost 4 years at DQ, tells me your probably comm. to your job. You dealt with rude and angry customers, this will help in dealing with supervisors. Some are cool, others weeeeeeelll you know.

Excellent post except for the part that I highlighted. While this is most likely not to be an issue as a PT pkg handler, it will become an issue if he does move up in to driving as visible tattoos are not allowed under the new personal appearance standards. Best to be up front at all times.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
3 and a half years at DQ? Man, thats loyalty. On days where the action is hot and heavy you're going to wish you had access to those "blizzards". By the way, which flavor is the most popular in the years you've worked there?

City Driver

if u want to drive tractor trailers and want to move up faster, have good pay and benefits come over to UPS Freight

sorry, that sounded like a commercial

christian c

Before I worked at UPS I worked as a valet at the Gaylord Texan Hotel. I got sick of having to fake smiles at people and hotel guests who think they are a gift from god. At UPS I just have to think about getting the job done and not dealing with BS from customers. However, you will have to deal with some things at UPS like a supervisor telling you to do something and then another supervisor telling you to do the exact opposite thing, but It is much better for me overall.

Stavemist316

Wow. Thanks a lot for answering all those questions, hondo. It's really helping me. Those are some good questions that I should think about. I have a car all paid off from the past few years working at DQ. It's a good reliable car so I'm not worried about transportation. I'm sure I could adjust my schedule to early morning or late night shifts. Like most things, after a while you get used to it. I have 1 summer class on Tuesday and Thursday nights that I'll have to discuss with my interviewer. Those are some great questions to ask. I wrote them down with some other questions I want to ask so I don't forget. I got everything that I'm gonna wear now just need to find a decent pair of shoes. I'll let everyone know how the interview went, which is on Wednesday, and if I got the job.:)

Stavemist316

Christian, I know what you mean about customers. I have so many stories about crazy customers and fights that I've gotten in with them. When a customer comes up to me and complains about somthing, which most of the time they're wrong, I didn't go by the saying, "the customers always right," because that's BS, I let them know that they are wrong and its too bad. Customer service is not my thing, and the only reason I never got in trouble was because we never had a manager and our boss only came in twice a week for about an hour. That's why I think I would like a job where I don't have to deal with bitching customers all day.

I've had other jobs where managers are practically breathing down my neck and that sucks too. But I guess everyone just has to deal with it and get on with their day.

Stavemist316

3 and a half years at DQ? Man, thats loyalty. On days where the action is hot and heavy you're going to wish you had access to those "blizzards". By the way, which flavor is the most popular in the years you've worked there?

I would say cookie dough and Oreo. But pretty much whatever pictures that are up, that's what gets ordered the most lol.

things2auction

Thanks for all the input guys it's really helpful. I would like to become a trucker someday but I dunno if I can hold out 10+ years at UPS lol. I really hope I get hired and if I do I'll definitely become an active member here :). If I get the job and it turns out it's really not for me, I'll stick with it through the summer while I study to get my CDL and then I'll try to find a part time delivery type job to gain some experience.

I have a couple more questions that have been on my mind...

So its true you don't get any of the benefits until you've been working there for 1 year? Does that include tuition assistance?

If I get the job and start at 8.50 how long do you think it would take to advance to 9.50-10?

Might be a stupid question but, what should I wear to the interview? It says to dress casual but I'm not sure how casual lol

For the interview/tour, is it like a group of people that tour and get interviewed all at once? Or is it a one on one type thing?

I just got a job doing pre-load a couple months ago so I can probably help you out a little bit.

Benefits (medical) now take a year to go into affect. Use to be 6 months, and before that it was 90 days, it changed though in the last contract negotiation from what I understand.

I know at our center you get bumped up to $10.50 ($9.50 to start) doing pre-load after 90 days, then $0.50 raise annually after that.

What I wore to my interview was a long sleeve button up shirt (tucked in), slacks, and sturdy leather shoes. There were 16+ people applying for the position I got. Half the people just wore regular street cloths, and a lot of them forgot to wear shoes with a sturdy leather upper, which it tells you to wear on the upsjobs website. Make sure you show up about 15 minutes early, it looks terrible if you are late.

Basically my tour went like this, first they had all of us in a room where the HR person talked about the position, UPS, etc. Then he took us each back for individual interviews (10-15 minutes each). A couple days later I got a call from that HR persons boss who scheduled me for a second interview, I did an interview with her and then another interview with the head supervisor for the center I was going to be working at. I dont know if you will have to go through as much as I did. I guess they had to be really picky on who they hired because they didnt think they would have very many opportunities to hire people this year (I was the 5th person hired out of 7 centers this year, and at that same point in 2008 they had hired over 70 people).

When you do your interview (or interviews), make sure to stress to them that you're a hard worker, like being physically active, have the ability to show up to work on time without calling in, can do work quickly and accurately (you could probably correlate that to your job at DQ), etc.

I did a little research on the UPS website too just so I knew more about the company (which came in handy because they asked some questions to see if any of us took the time to research UPS ahead of time).

Besides that, just sell yourself like you would at any other interview.

The actual job really isnt that hard once you get use to the pace. The first week was hell (they started me off unloading trailers, and facing boxes for the people who scan them as they go down the line) and I totally got my butt kicked. Once you figure out the pace of things it will get a lot easier. After a couple weeks they started having me load trucks. Its easy (but a lot of people seem to have a hard time with it), just be sure to talk to your drivers to see what they like, and think about how they have to deliver their route as you load the truck.

Just remember to think of the job as a workout, its like your trip to the GYM for the day. lol

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else :happy2:

Stavemist316

Well it wasn't an interview last Wednesday. When it gave me the information online it said interview/tour. But it was only the tour. After the tour it looks like hard work but I find it interesting and the benefits and tuition assistance is awesome. So I emailed back the HR guy and they called me the next day while I was at work. So now the official interview is today at 6PM central time. I'm gonna wear black slacks and a nice button down shirt tucked in. Should I bring a resume? The one I have could use some work but I could work on it before I leave.

things2auction

Well it wasn't an interview last Wednesday. When it gave me the information online it said interview/tour. But it was only the tour. After the tour it looks like hard work but I find it interesting and the benefits and tuition assistance is awesome. So I emailed back the HR guy and they called me the next day while I was at work. So now the official interview is today at 6PM central time. I'm gonna wear black slacks and a nice button down shirt tucked in. Should I bring a resume? The one I have could use some work but I could work on it before I leave.

I didnt bring a resume to my interview. If they do what they did in my first interview they will sit you down and go over the whole application you filled out online.

Good luck!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Just wear a good pair of jeans (not fancy schmancy, work jeans) and a button down shirt, and work shoes. Look neat and ready to work . You don't have to "dress up".

You don't need to bring a resume. They should already have a copy, no? I applied online in 2001 and I think sent the resume at the time. The system probably has changed since, though.