Package Handler

NewChris

Wait, you only have to load two trucks at a time? I'm not sure if you're a loader or not as I'm unfamiliar with some of the terminology you used. The one thing I've learned after my first month is that the full-time supervisors yell, a lot. They look stressed out as hell near the end of the shift so I can't imagine doing that job. The job would be a lot better if the PT supervisors would just stfu, leave me alone and let me do my job.

When I was training I loaded two trailers at a time with a trainer watching. Now that I'm on my own I only have one trailer. PT sup says after my 30 days I will load 2. I'm loading not preloading.

NewChris

Sup gave me two trucks already, not even past my 30 days yet. I get backed up in one because it takes a lot more flow. Every time i go over to one trailer the other backs out fast. I don't know how guys do three trailers without being backed out all night.

I had a leaker the other night and because of it I was backed up in that trailer for 2 hours. Just couldn't get caught up after that.

Last night we got killed on recycles. Apparently there was a jam in sort. We got AT LEAST over a 1000 shot of packages for metro that were all recycles. High and low picks freaking out for about an hour. Low pick had so many packages up there he couldn't even move. We had to get a whole other belt to come over and help us. Sups made us work through break to clear it. I don't know how they can do that, but if we didn't work through it we would have got killed even more. All the drivers were standing around waiting for us to get done for about an hour.

Peak season is gonna be crazy as f_uck.

U

uber

Sup gave me two trucks already, not even past my 30 days yet. I get backed up in one because it takes a lot more flow. Every time i go over to one trailer the other backs out fast. I don't know how guys do three trailers without being backed out all night.

I had a leaker the other night and because of it I was backed up in that trailer for 2 hours. Just couldn't get caught up after that.

Last night we got killed on recycles. Apparently there was a jam in sort. We got AT LEAST over a 1000 shot of packages for metro that were all recycles. High and low picks freaking out for about an hour. Low pick had so many packages up there he couldn't even move. We had to get a whole other belt to come over and help us. Sups made us work through break to clear it. I don't know how they can do that, but if we didn't work through it we would have got killed even more. All the drivers were standing around waiting for us to get done for about an hour.

Peak season is gonna be crazy as f_uck.

Your sweating this part time job too much. Work hard, do your thang. Fair days work.

nystripe96

I just completed cornerstone in 3 measly days. I have no clue how to use the scanner, because we basically loaded 1 trailer for 30 mins and that was it. Even though I'm done with cornerstone, is my supervisor gonna go over scanning and loading with me on Monday before I get thrown into the shiz?

NewChris

I just completed cornerstone in 3 measly days. I have no clue how to use the scanner, because we basically loaded 1 trailer for 30 mins and that was it. Even though I'm done with cornerstone, is my supervisor gonna go over scanning and loading with me on Monday before I get thrown into the shiz?

I'm sure you've found out the answer to your questions because you said that four days ago. But no, they won't just throw you in there. You will learn the scanner eventually. There's not that much to remember, just that you have to be in control mode to do certain things. The biggest thing is to remember not to mistoggle and remember which trailer you're in when you're scanning. There is a piece of paper that has every function the scanner can do. Ask for it and review it if you're worried about it. They mainly are jumping my ass now for less than 800 scans, which blah. I have two slower trailers but I always need help on them. I need to just start slik reading instead of reading the actual zip!

NewChris

Oh and btw, my hub CLAIMS we are getting brand new, state of the art scanners this October. These scanners will tell you if the package does not belong instead of you having to read per say. So by the time you learn it, you will be possibly be presented with a new model.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The new scanners are not that much better or differant . You will be ok with them in a couple of days.Best advice I can give you after reading the thread is to read,scan,load to the best of your ability without loosing accuracy grow a thick skin to shed the sups yelling at you to do more and you will be ok . Fair days pay for a fair days work as stated earlier in the thread.You can be repremanded or disiplined for mistakes but not for the volume that you do as long as you are working.

kdogg788

I've been in almost 2 months and used to the workout now. At first you'll be pretty sore. Not sure why so many people get so few hours. I am usually very surprised to get less than 5 per night.

-k

ups2005

could u help me with my pay rate i have been working there since 2005 of aug and currently making 14.96 it hink it is wrong can u break down the pay rate for me i am a sorter

Southwestern

could u help me with my pay rate i have been working there since 2005 of aug and currently making 14.96 it hink it is wrong can u break down the pay rate for me i am a sorter

FYI: Your last 300 paychecks are available on UPSers. Thus, all but your 90-cent raise can easily be seen/calculated.

Since you hired in August 2005, you would have followed the progression set forth for newly hired employees under the 2002 contract. That provided a $9.50 starting wage (for sorters), and then provided 50-cent raises after 90-days as well as on your anniversaries.

Beginning in August 2008, you followed the progression set forth for incumbent employees under the 2008 contract: 70-cents in 2008, 75-cents each in 2009 & 2010 and 85-cents in 2011 (the raises were split between that August and February of the following year). In 2011, you also received a 12-cent cost-of-living adjustment.

Thus, you should've been on the following wage schedule:
August 2005: $9.50, increased to $10.00 in November
August 2006: $10.50
August 2007: $11.00
August 2008-February 2009: $11.70
August 2009-February 2010: $12.45
August 2010-February 2011: $13.20
August 2011-February 2012: $14.17

That's a ball park estimate. Depending on your senority date, you may have received a double-raise in 2006 (an additional 50c). You may also have received COLA in 2006 (also 12c). And Some riders may have offered an additional premium--I'm not certain.

Nonetheless, your $14.96 rate is likely accurate. You are not underpaid. Nor are you are entitled to the $15.96 that your friend (with a similar senority date) is making, per your previous posts.