Package Hide & Seek?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Our center had a bump in volume Tues/Weds (210 stops). Normal Thursday (160 stops). Cut routes today.

I don't have the experience / time in, but an observation?

One of my weaknesses is finding the packages on the car. It appears that the loaders follow PAS for 1/2 the load, then throw in the balance randomly. The MAJORITY of my time in a day is spent not driving, not walking, but finding where the package is hidden in the car.

Early morning bulk marked RDl/R tend to be anywhere.

mainebrown

i think everyone has that same problem, the other day i searched for at least 1 package at every stop...it can really get you pissed, i usually look where it should be first, then if its not there try looking on the floor...maybe the package is too big for the shelf. If there are more then 5 packages it might be on the floor to save shelf room....hard to tell you something you probably haven't already tried...sometimes you'll just find it later.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Isn't it nice that the company stole 6 seconds per pkg from our time allowance because all the pkgs are lined up perfectly in order with no need to sort. Still burns my butt.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Isn't it nice that the company stole 6 seconds per pkg from our time allowance because all the pkgs are lined up perfectly in order with no need to sort. Still burns my butt.

Thing is, if PAS was actually followed, it would be pretty great. What I've seen happen (your mileage may vary) is that the loaders follow as best they can, then the SUPs come around & tell them they have 5 minutes left to get the rest of the stuff on the truck. 1/2 hour more time given to the loaders would make the drivers much more efficient.

collegepreloader

Thing is, if PAS was actually followed, it would be pretty great. What I've seen happen (your mileage may vary) is that the loaders follow as best they can, then the SUPs come around & tell them they have 5 minutes left to get the rest of the stuff on the truck. 1/2 hour more time given to the loaders would make the drivers much more efficient.

I agree with you there, I told one of the drivers the other day, If i could have another 5-10 minutes in each truck to get everything organized it would be so much better. I try to drop all the big stuff to the floor near where it should be on the shelf, but sometimes i cant keep all of it together and the other packages end up on the shelf.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

The preload's pay is peanuts compared to a drivers overtime. Common sense tell's you that $$'s always trump PPH. That's why UPS will always be a 3 ring circus to those that work there!

pretzel_man

As I recall, the allowance change was due to not having to key enter tracking information, not because the pacakges were loaded stop for stop. (in theory, that was already happening before PAS)

The allowance change should have happened long before it was actually implemented.

Corporate screwed up by implementing the allowance change when PAS was deployed. Many people like you think that the change is due to PAS and EDD.

A bad move on corporate's part caused this wrong perception.

P-Man

BINGO. What's been happening for about a week now at our center is that at about 8:00 the volume getting put into the cages drops off noticeably and by 8:30 two out of three are coming around empty and just as you think you're home free, all of a sudden they're getting stuffed to the gills with packages. Then the sups call last cages which means that you have to get them emptied no matter what and it's a 3-ring circus until the cars pull out.

It also doesn't help that the packages aren't very well distributed across the sequence numbers. You may have twice as many 8xxx packages as you do 7xxx, so one shelf is fairly light, and the other is really stuffed, and you don't have time to go move things around to even them out. I try to make pretty liberal use of the crayon, figuring that even if the packages aren't in perfect order, at least if they're close and visibly marked, the driver shouldn't have to hunt for them. On the other hand, I have one driver who apparently isn't too fond of his trace and goes in each morning and rearranges about half of my nice sequential packages into some other route that he prefers.

kingOFchester

First FULL week driving. Spent over a year working preload. Heard all the drivers complain about their loaders. Monda, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week, I was flying through the deliveries. Couldn't understand what all the drivers were complaining about. Today....another story. Load was a wreck. 7's on the 5's....5's on the 7's and so forth. A loader can set you up to win or loose. What an eye opener!:knockedout:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First FULL week driving. Spent over a year working preload. Heard all the drivers complain about their loaders. Monda, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week, I was flying through the deliveries. Couldn't understand what all the drivers were complaining about. Today....another story. Load was a wreck. 7's on the 5's....5's on the 7's and so forth. A loader can set you up to win or loose. What an eye opener!:knockedout:

I bet you will have a renewed sense of purpose when you go back to the preload after Peak.

kingOFchester

I bet you will have a renewed sense of purpose when you go back to the preload after Peak.

I loaded my first 3-4 months. Got cash tips from 2 of my drivers last Christmas.....Always tried to do as they asked even though the sups said "just get it in the truck and get the guys off the clock". Anyway, I hope to be back sorting rather then loading. The 4 hours goes by quicker.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yesterday and today were the worst loads that I have had since we started PAS. I have seen the benefits and can see where it does save me time and allow me to deliver more efficiently. When the board says I have '0' left for a stop, I quit looking.

I set my EDD up so that other than 2 or 3 stops, I do my 1st 50-75 in the order they are in the board (other than air.) Once I hit my last business, I completely set up my resis and away I go. Watching the board, I don't forget about big crap on the floor and if I want to run in a different order than my setup, I can look at my board and run it from there, don't have to 'massage boxes' anymore.

I drank the koolaid and am a convert.

TB

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As I recall, the allowance change was due to not having to key enter tracking information, not because the pacakges were loaded stop for stop. (in theory, that was already happening before PAS)

That's the corporate line. We never had to key enter tracking info. You typed in the next address as you walked back to the truck. You typed 6 to 9 digits for the shipper number and ID (before 1Z barcodes). The 6 seconds is stolen time and nowhere near accurate.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
PAS if fantastic. The management that implements and abuses it sucks.
Could'nt agree more! My RT is set up almost perfect with the exception of my last 10 stops. But when you throw in a dispatch supervisor that has NO area knowlege and starts throwing random bulk stops on you because "you drive right by" is when it sucks. Then they start making add/cuts 10 minutes before your start time, "Oh, I could'nt find these 3 stops. you'll have to find them later." UPS is about making dollars-not sence.

Mike Hawk

I always load stop for stop as best I can, supes don't tip for PPH. Doesn't matter if I keep the belt off for 15 minutes over the sort.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Try having 265 stops and 330 pcs in a five hundred on wednesday. I couldn't find anything. I ended up going back to 10 stops for packages that I couldn't find. I complained enough and they brought me out a 1000 at 130 so a half hour of transfering all the packages and at 2:00 i was back on my way. I told them if they did that to me again I wouldn't be in the next two days.

When I called in to talk to my center manager I asked why he didnt just leave out the 7000 and 8000 so i could have some room and shuttle out the rest later in the afternoon and he said that he didnt even give that a thougt. Really, like jamming all that in a little car made any sense, but hey what do i know. I am just a driver.....

upsgrunt

Sometimes I don't know which is more aggravating- finding a misload that isn't yours, or spending 10 minutes looking for a package that isn't on your truck. It's a given, that the pieces you can never find are always the consignees that are standing at your side door waiting for you.:whiteflag: