Package Selection Time.

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
Day 17 of my packet, supervisor tells me that I will pass if I work on my package selection time. Any advice/tips you guys could give me would be great,thanks!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You lose most of your time in back of the car looking for packages. Take the time to set up ten stops ahead and continue to move stops up as you free up more shelf space. Its a good idea to make sure you actually have the package for the next stop before you drive to it. Also look in your DIAD and make sure you have the correct number of boxes for that particular stop, you don't want to walk all the way up to the delivery point and figure out there is another package left in the car.

BuriedInCardboard

Day 17 of my packet, supervisor tells me that I will pass if I work on my package selection time. Any advice/tips you guys could give me would be great,thanks!

As soon as your done running your airs. Line up 10 stops at a time. Once your 1000 and 2000 shelves are clear line up 20 at a time. Once you have the space start lining up 30 at a time. Repeat over and over. It will blow your mind how much time you can cut off my simply sorting and lining up your stops. Not to mention it it takes away the stress of scrambling to find something.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Did he/she just leave it at that or explain on how to improve your package selection?

My sup says you should have one foot in cab and one in package area when selecting 1 or 2 little resis. You should have your next 5 stops lined up and memorized. After the 5th one you go back and get whatever shelf & floor you're working on slid up snug to the bulkhead door area and repeat. I liked to take shelf 7 & 8 and put them on shelf 1... he said keep them on 7 & 8 and just move them up and do same method with one foot in one out with back towards driver side exit. This was definitely something that helped me. I can't say how much time it saved a day but it did help. Good Luck! 👍

Dumbo

I don't line up stops. What I do though is sort by the 2nd number in the HIN. So 21xx 22xx, etc. Throw all the 21xx in a pile on the floor for example. Don't bother fine sorting past that. Use the floor or other shelf space to help organize. Get irregs out of the aisle no matter what you need to do (run them or put on a shelf if you have space and don't forget where they are).

If you know you aren't going to need the aisle or the 7000 shelf or something, throw everything to the back of the truck until later and then make yourself a nice area to sort your 1000-4000 shelves.

Est.1998

I don't line up stops. What I do though is sort by the 2nd number in the HIN. So 21xx 22xx, etc. Throw all the 21xx in a pile on the floor for example. Don't bother fine sorting past that. Use the floor or other shelf space to help organize. Get irregs out of the aisle no matter what you need to do (run them or put on a shelf if you have space and don't forget where they are).

If you know you aren't going to need the aisle or the 7000 shelf or something, throw everything to the back of the truck until later and then make yourself a nice area to sort your 1000-4000 shelves.
That method wouldn't work too well on my route.
Orion is known to have two different neighborhoods with the same or similar pal number.
Also, with all that throwing things in a pile or to the back of the truck, that would drive my OCD through the roof.

That method wouldn't work too well on my route.
Orion is known to have two different neighborhoods with the same or similar pal number.
Also, with all that throwing things in a pile or to the back of the truck, that would drive my OCD through the roof.
Actually I had to his method last year
During peak. I ran a Saturday right but half the truck was loaded for Monday and other half was loaded for Saturday.
So I took all the Monday crap off the shelf and through the back door

Est.1998

Actually I had to his method last year
During peak. I ran a Saturday right but half the truck was loaded for Monday and other half was loaded for Saturday.
So I took all the Monday crap off the shelf and through the back door
Management encourage us to run our Monday volume that was loaded on the truck. I did that once. Come Monday, those stops were still in the board and i ended up going to them looking all over the truck for pkgs that were already delivered. After that, i left Monday volume for Monday.

Management encourage us to run our Monday volume that was loaded on the truck. I did that once. Come Monday, those stops were still in the board and i ended up going to them looking all over the truck for pkgs that were already delivered. After that, i left Monday volume for Monday.
Although they was getting rid of a few bug stops and some Monday business that was close but I did have a sheet of paper that I wrote the last four digits in the track and numbers down
But very surprisingly there was not in my diad on Monday

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
if i remember correctly, my ors told me that their package selection time allowance was 18 seconds. i don't bother doing a real sort/misload check until i'm stopped and about to take lunch. however each time i open the bulkhead door if i can't grab the package i'm looking for i make sure to put at least a few of them in the right order and pull stuff closer to the door so that my time back there wasn't wasted. if this stop took me 30 seconds i make sure my next stop is 2 seconds, etc. what also helps me is when i have let's say 30 packages with a hin of 5732. i know which direction i'm going down the street (high numbers to lower numbers or low to high etc) so i put them in order that way and always try and put multiple packages going to the same address together the first time so i don't have to look through 30 a second time. another thing i do using the example of 30 packages with hin of 5732, since preload can't be bothered to do their job and i don't have time to do it for them i try to make sure that one of the packages with a visible hin is at the end of the row so even if i have to walk past 30 packages i see 5732 at the end and know where the next hin begins. i'm always on a mixed business/resi route anyway so half of my day is counted in minutes not 18 seconds. veterinarian has 42 boxes of medicine and dog food? good luck pulling that out in 18 seconds.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I mean there are multiple orders and ways to compartmentalize how you sort, move to, and select stops... What does this supervisor kid even mean by package selection? Right you could sort your entire car for 20 minutes (on lunch while qualifying lol). Or sort a small strip of road at a time. Or bribe the preloader. Or do the preloader's job and sharpie all the hin #### yourself (on break, of course, stupid me). Just give them what they want like you are a robot LOL you are not but give them that idea until you have the time on your own after qualifying to develop your own sane sorting routine.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Show up a little early and set up your first couple of stops along with any ground that goes with the air so you can just grab and go. Like @scratch said, take your stops and set them up as you go. Always double check to know you have to correct amount that the diad says. Never trust the slap either. If you check slap make sure you check label too.

First, get organized and stay organized. Then, If you can't find a box think use the context of where you are delivering to find the other one. For example, if you have 3 target boxes and you are missing one, then the 4th box is probably target. If you have tires and are delivering to a tire shop, thats probably where the tires go. Also customers tend to get the same type of boxes everyday. So take notes of what goes where.