Package sent to "overgoods" after failed delivery attempts???

Long story ahead. I'm new here so I apologize if any of the questions I raise here have been answered in other threads. Though I've done a ton of Googling and my problem appears to be unusual.

I live in Los Angeles and a couple of weeks ago, I went to a FedEx store and had a package shipped to another address in LA. They asked me if I wanted a signature to be required for delivery (which costs extra) and I said yes, thinking it was just a good way of knowing that someone had accepted the package and that it wasn't left outside a door where someone else could snatch it.

A couple weeks later, confused that I never got a confirmation of the delivery, I called the FedEx phone number and found out that FedEx had repeatedly attempted to delivery my package but that nobody was ever there to sign for it. Yet instead of just leaving the package outside the address on the final attempt, FedEx decided -- for reasons I have been unable to clearly determine -- to send my package to their "overgoods" department... ALL THE WAY OVER IN MISSISSIPPI!!!!!

I don't understand why FedEx didn't just return the package to me, and I certainly don't understand why they sent it to the South, of all places, rather than an overgoods department in LA.

When I called FedEx to try to get my package out of the overgoods in Mississippi, they asked me for an "account number".

I don't have an account number. I went to the store where I shipped the package, and the clerks confirmed to me that *they're* the ones who used an account number to ship the package, and that the account number was based on the card that I used to pay for shipping.

But again, I don't have the account number. It's not even on my receipt.

The clerks at the store didn't want to give me their account number and advised me to call the number and let them know that somebody at FedEx made a mistake sending my package to Mississippi.

But the people on the phone started telling me that I still needed to give them an account number in order to get the package released from overgoods and sent back to me. When I asked why, they claimed that an account number would be used to pay for shipping.

I smelled extortion. I'd already paid FedEx for failing the deliver the package and now I guess they wanted me to pay them again to ship it back to me.

I started calling their number again because I wanted a refund. During one call, the guy on the other end of the line refused to give me a refund. I could barely understand him so I hung up. But I called again, a different person answered, she was sympathetic and she told me I'd get a refund (I haven't seen the money re-appear in my account yet but I'll provide an update if I do).

At this point I have given up any hope of recovering my package that's stuck in Mississippi. I don't necessarily need it back; it was just some documents which I have copies of anyway.

But does anyone here know what went wrong here? Should I just never let FedEx require a signature for a delivery? Why doesn't this sort of thing happen more often? Why did my package get sent way over to another state? Why was FedEx so hesitant to accept responsibility for their mistake? WHY?????

It will be fine

Long story ahead. I'm new here so I apologize if any of the questions I raise here have been answered in other threads. Though I've done a ton of Googling and my problem appears to be unusual.

I live in Los Angeles and a couple of weeks ago, I went to a FedEx store and had a package shipped to another address in LA. They asked me if I wanted a signature to be required for delivery (which costs extra) and I said yes, thinking it was just a good way of knowing that someone had accepted the package and that it wasn't left outside a door where someone else could snatch it.

A couple weeks later, confused that I never got a confirmation of the delivery, I called the FedEx phone number and found out that FedEx had repeatedly attempted to delivery my package but that nobody was ever there to sign for it. Yet instead of just leaving the package outside the address on the final attempt, FedEx decided -- for reasons I have been unable to clearly determine -- to send my package to their "overgoods" department... ALL THE WAY OVER IN MISSISSIPPI!!!!!

I don't understand why FedEx didn't just return the package to me, and I certainly don't understand why they sent it to the South, of all places, rather than an overgoods department in LA.

When I called FedEx to try to get my package out of the overgoods in Mississippi, they asked me for an "account number".

I don't have an account number. I went to the store where I shipped the package, and the clerks confirmed to me that *they're* the ones who used an account number to ship the package, and that the account number was based on the card that I used to pay for shipping.

The clerks at the store didn't want to give me their account number and advised me to call the number and let them know that somebody at FedEx made a mistake sending my package to Mississippi.

But the people on the phone started telling me that I still needed to give them an account number in order to get the package released from overgoods and sent back to me. When I asked why, they claimed that an account number would be used to pay for shipping.

I smelled extortion. I'd already paid FedEx for failing the deliver the package and now I guess they wanted me to pay them again to ship it back to me.

I started calling their number again because I wanted a refund. During one call, the guy on the other end of the line refused to give me a refund. I could barely understand him so I hung up. But I called again, a different person answered, she was sympathetic and she told me I'd get a refund (I haven't seen the money re-appear in my account yet but I'll provide an update if I do).

At this point I have given up any hope of recovering my package that's stuck in Mississippi. I don't necessarily need it back; it was just some documents which I have copies of anyway.

But does anyone here know what went wrong here? Should I just never let FedEx require a signature for a delivery? Why doesn't this sort of thing happen more often? Why did my package get sent way over to another state? Why was FedEx so hesitant to accept responsibility for their mistake? WHY?????
Sign up for your own account. Problems solved. That makes you the shipper and not whatever store you went to. If you want a sig send the package to be held at a nearby Fedex office or a Walgreens unless the recipient knows it’s coming and will be available to sign.

What went wrong? Nothing, fedex doesn’t care about random people that walk into a store to ship one package randomly. You couldn’t be a lower priority if you tried.

I guess I just don't understand why FedEx sent it to Mississippi and has made it so hard for me to get the package back. Even the clerks at the store were dumbfounded to find out that the package got sent to an overgoods department way over in a state on the other side of the country.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A couple weeks later, confused that I never got a confirmation of the delivery, I called the FedEx phone number and found out that FedEx had repeatedly attempted to delivery my package but that nobody was ever there to sign for it. Yet instead of just leaving the package outside the address on the final attempt

They didn't leave the package because you instructed (and paid for) them to leave the package only if there was someone there to sign for it.

I'm assuming this is an Express package. After three failed delivery attempts, they notify the recipient that they've been unable to deliver the package. The recipient then has between 2 and 5 business days (depends on the station) to pick up the package before they attempt to return it to the shipper. They would typically need your approval and a valid address and valid form of payment -such as an account number- in order to do send it back. Some shippers don't want to pay for return shipping.

I started calling their number again because I wanted a refund.

They failed to deliver the package because you instructed them not to deliver the package unless they could obtain a signature. Why do you think they should give you a refund AND return your package to you free of charge?

Why was FedEx so hesitant to accept responsibility for their mistake? WHY?????

What mistake? The proper procedure for undeliverable packages that don't have arrangement for return shipping is to send them to overgoods. I understand your frustration but they've apparently followed their SOP for these types of shipments.

they've apparently followed their SOP for these types of shipments.

But then why is the package in Mississippi?

It was shipped from an LA address and was meant to go somewhere else in LA. So why did it end up in a faraway state? I tried to ask them about this over the phone and they claimed that "all unclaimed packages get sent to an abandoned apartment in Mississippi where our overgoods department is".

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They didn't leave the package because you instructed (and paid for) them to leave the package only if there was someone there to sign for it.

I'm assuming this is an Express package. After three failed delivery attempts, they notify the recipient that they've been unable to deliver the package. The recipient then has between 2 and 5 business days (depends on the station) to pick up the package before they attempt to return it to the shipper. They would typically need your approval and a valid address and valid form of payment -such as an account number- in order to do send it back. Some shippers don't want to pay for return shipping.

They failed to deliver the package because you instructed them not to deliver the package unless they could obtain a signature. Why do you think they should give you a refund AND return your package to you free of charge?

What mistake? The proper procedure for undeliverable packages that don't have arrangement for return shipping is to send them to overgoods. I understand your frustration but they've apparently followed their SOP for these types of shipments.

You have to make special arrangements for return shipping, but they'll send it to Mississippi for free? Makes sense.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
FedEx actually has two overgoods locations. One is an abandoned apartment in Mississippi and the other is in the basement of a tattoo parlor in Peoria.

They actually sent yours to the closest one to you. I don’t understand - where be the prob? :huh:

Call the 1800 number.

The number that I've mainly been calling is 1-800-463-3339. Most of the operators there don't know what they're talking about, since some of them were under the impression that the package had been "sent back to the shipper" (i.e. me -- which, of course, it was never sent back to me), while others found out that it had been returned to somebody other than me who signed for it. Only after I asked to speak to a manager did I determine that the person who signed for it is in charge of overgoods in Mississippi.

Yesterday I called FedEx's revenue department at 1-800-622-1147 to get a refund for the entire failed delivery. The guy who picked up refused to give me a refund and I wasn't about to argue with him because I could barely understand him anyway, so I hung up. But I called again, a different person answered, she had a completely different reaction and told me she'd refund me. Still waiting on that.

Anyway, my argument is: I understand if they wanted to put the package in overgoods for safekeeping, but... isn't there an overgoods department somewhere here in Los Angeles...? You'd think this sort of thing happens more than once. I find it hard to believe that FedEx would waste its money shipping hundreds (thousands?) of unclaimed packages every year to states on the other side of the country. Shouldn't every state, and every major city, have an overgoods department?

If Los Angeles had one, I could easily have driven to it and taken back the package in person. But I am not going to waste my money on recovering the package from Mississippi, where it shouldn't even be in the first place.

My guess is that someone made a clerical error and sent it to the wrong state. Otherwise, the people at the store (and certain people I spoke to on the phone) would not have had the same surprised reaction as I did when they found out where this overgoods department was.

dezguy

The number that I've mainly been calling is 1-800-463-3339. Most of the operators there don't know what they're talking about, since some of them were under the impression that the package had been "sent back to the shipper" (i.e. me -- which, of course, it was never sent back to me), while others found out that it had been returned to somebody other than me who signed for it. Only after I asked to speak to a manager did I determine that the person who signed for it is in charge of overgoods in Mississippi.

Yesterday I called FedEx's revenue department at 1-800-622-1147 to get a refund for the entire failed delivery. The guy who picked up refused to give me a refund and I wasn't about to argue with him because I could barely understand him anyway, so I hung up. But I called again, a different person answered, she had a completely different reaction and told me she'd refund me. Still waiting on that.

Anyway, my argument is: I understand if they wanted to put the package in overgoods for safekeeping, but... isn't there an overgoods department somewhere here in Los Angeles...? You'd think this sort of thing happens more than once. I find it hard to believe that FedEx would waste its money shipping hundreds (thousands?) of unclaimed packages every year to states on the other side of the country. Shouldn't every state, and every major city, have an overgoods department?

If Los Angeles had one, I could easily have driven to it and taken back the package in person. But I am not going to waste my money on recovering the package from Mississippi, where it shouldn't even be in the first place.

My guess is that someone made a clerical error and sent it to the wrong state. Otherwise, the people at the store (and certain people I spoke to on the phone) would not have had the same surprised reaction as I did when they found out where this overgoods department was.
Nope.

RiccardoG

I was on a checkride and a client couldnt pay for his package at the door and asked for it to be reattempted next day. I said sure, manager said nope.

Our job residential is to try once. Thats it, if you arent home I release and if it is a DSR (Direct Sig Req) I bring it back. After that it is entirely up to you to come get it. We have enough work to not have to backtrack to every little person who claims they werent home. I do a college residence and the amount of packages id have backing up in my truck would be the death of me. Id say you're lucky they tried multiple times lol

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
What are you talking about? SOP is to attempt to get a DSR delivery 3 times, then held at location for a few days before RTS.

I assume u talking about a COD package, which I never dealt with

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Why on earth would any delivery company have an overgoods in every state? Do you realize how expensive that would be? Did your package have your return address and a phone number? If not, that’s why it went to overgoods. You’re not getting a refund. It is what it is.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Why would Fedex leave the package outside the door when you paid to get a signature? BTW this sort of thing happens more than you know.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

It was shipped from an LA address and was meant to go somewhere else in LA. So why did it end up in a faraway state? I tried to ask them about this over the phone and they claimed that "all unclaimed packages get sent to an abandoned apartment in Mississippi where our overgoods department is".

You have to make special arrangements for return shipping, but they'll send it to Mississippi for free? Makes sense.

The overgoods location is near the hub. Where else would it be?

542thruNthru

I guess I just don't understand why FedEx sent it to Mississippi and has made it so hard for me to get the package back. Even the clerks at the store were dumbfounded to find out that the package got sent to an overgoods department way over in a state on the other side of the country.

Yes, because they asked me for both of those things at the store when I made the initial payment for shipping.

Here's some good advice. I suggest you follow it.

1200px-UPS_Logo_Shield_2017.svg.png
ups-nola-104.jpg

You're welcome!

:)