PAL label

cafebrown

Long time lurker, first time poster. The PAL label has:

Consignee name
Address
P: ___ S: ___ I: ___
Route Number-Sequence Number
Tracking number
Identifying information on the center/printer that printed the label.

What are P, S, and I?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Long time lurker, first time poster. The PAL label has:

Consignee name
Address
P: ___ S: ___ I: ___
Route Number-Sequence Number
Tracking number
Identifying information on the center/printer that printed the label.

What are P, S, and I?
I am from a small center. P was the main belt. S was the side of the belt(east/west). We didn't use I.

But, the gist of it is on which belt, which side of the belt and I have know idea.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sort to Primary Sort Belt by color, then Secondary Sort Belt by color, and then the package will be placed at the front or rear of the last belt before the Preloader pulls it off.

laffter

An example of one of our P S I's is something like P: M3 S: 1PUSH I: M3

I'm not sure why P and I are the same for us, but it denotes the belt that it goes to. In this example, M3 would be Metro 3.
S is the area on the belt. Our belts normally have about 6 areas. The first one is referred to as 1PUSH, then 2RIDE, 3RIDE, 4RIDE. Those are all on one side of the pick-off, then there's 7L and 8L on the other side of the pick-off. We have 7 belts like this.

My guess is that our center doesn't use the I, so they just put whatever P is.

tre305

I always wondered that as well as what those numbers after the SLIC on packages represented. For instance my building is 3311 so the package may say "FL 331 1-04"

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The "I" is for "Irregulars drop point". It instructs the irreg driver where to drop the irregular pkgs for a particular pull, as often there is no space to leave the irregs next the car or even series of cars the loader will ultimately take the package to. It stinks when your pull is not very close to the irregular drop point.

The number is a bay number where a package car would normally be parked but is left empty for the irreg drop. In my bldg on each boxline there may be 25-30 bays on one side of the boxline; the irregular drops are typically the first and last bay numbers, e.g. "601" or "640", as well as one or two bays left open in the middle of the line as well.

Conversely, when I was a preloader at the Philly air hub-a larger bldg but with not as many routes and centers-there was a lot more space, and often one's irregular drop was right next to their load, maybe you'd have to cross one other guy's pull to get your irregs.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
In our hub we have multiple primary belts going to different walls assigned by color and off of the primary belts are secondary belts or cages going to the section where the truck is going to be loaded. So an example at our center is P brown, S orange, I 6. Which translates to primary sort to brown wall, secondary sort to orange belt loading onto truck 6.

Ruby1

So all my boxes also have printed on that little ("pal"?) label: "TNT" dash and a # ie TNT-5297. What does that mean?
Just wondering.
I watched a You Tube video that once said those labels have the truck "name" (maybe nickname) but no clue what that is or where you'd see it, but I do see the date and time (ie scanned I guess) for placement on truck for the day probably.
Interesting. I was a shipper for many years but never knew the other side of it from a carrier pov.

(BTW-my P is always REDTOP and my S is always 5BBGRN and the I is always 05A)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So all my boxes also have printed on that little ("pal"?) label: "TNT" dash and a # ie TNT-5297. What does that mean?
Just wondering.
I watched a You Tube video that once said those labels have the truck "name" (maybe nickname) but no clue what that is or where you'd see it, but I do see the date and time (ie scanned I guess) for placement on truck for the day probably.
Interesting. I was a shipper for many years but never knew the other side of it from a carrier pov.

(BTW-my P is always REDTOP and my S is always 5BBGRN and the I is always 05A
Finally after 9 years the mystery is solved
Bravo to you @Ruby1

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Just wondering.

(BTW-my P is always REDTOP and my S is always 5BBGRN and the I is always 05A)
DACFB4C5-E11B-4555-BF25-ABCB284545A5.jpeg