Parking tickets

rod

Retired 22 years
I deliver in the city and in the 9 months I've been on the route I've only gotten 2 (well 3 if you count one that she looked like she started writing as I drove away but I never physically got a ticket.) The last guy who bid this route got like one a week.

Basically they'll leave me alone as long as I don't violate one of their unwritten rules for ups guys:
1) Don't park on the sidewalk. Even if there is nowhere else to park, parking on the sidewalk pisses them off.
2) Don't park in a section of curb with a sign for handicapped. Sometimes the signs are hard to spot or not facing the right way or far down the street, but if you're parallel parked in a section they feel is handicapped parking they'll write it up.
3) Double parking is fine as long as no one wants to leave. When you're blocking someone in and they want to leave and there happens to be a meter maid nearby they'll write you up.

They don't care about parking in no parking zones or blocking fire hydrants--just the above stuff.
When I get a ticket I just leave it in an on-car's mail slot and they pay it.
The sup trained me to park on the sidewalk on some one way streets rather than walking it off and they really don't care about parking tickets, but I try not to upset the meter maids.

At least in the picture up above the ups truck was legally parked in a loading zone.

I use to double park in front of the Police station in my little town. I also would block the door of the Fire Station when delivering. It was a volunteer department so I could always be gone if need be by the time anyone showed up. The Police Chief once hired a new rookie who was going to write me a ticket for double parking. I knew the Chief was in the office so I had the rookie follow me there. The Chief proceed to inform this guy to leave UPS and FedEx alone. I had no problem after that.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
When I was a cop, I never cited a UPS truck or any type of delivery vehicle for parking / standing it just didn't make sense sense there were very few loading docks and safe places to unload other than the street.
The cities only cite them for the revenue. They could really care less that they were parked illegally except for the money.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In most larger cities UPS pays a flat fee in lieu of paying each individual ticket. I have heard that they pay $1M in NYC alone. It is just another cost of doing business.
$18 million per year.

Saw another site that says they racked up over $1 million in the first quarter of 2013.

Either way, they pay a lot and it is factored into the cost of doing business.

FedEx is the same way.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1421801294.844374.jpg

It's pretty much the norm in DTLA. The amount of tickets received equate to a good baseball card collection. Drivers can get anywhere between 8 - 15 a day. Drivers are never dinged for them and the cost of a red zone ticket is $98 compared to a $35 side walk parking ticket. Go figure. It's the cost of doing business and drivers are seldom given grief over it from management. The cost of a weekly parking tickets for 1 driver can be in the ball park of under $5000. Now multiply that for the year and thats a lot of revenue for the city. Hence why both ups and the city usually revisit this issue to negotiate the flat rate of tickets they will pay overall. Over course we are talking about a 60% discount of course.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It's pretty much the norm in DTLA. The amount of tickets received equate to a good baseball card collection. Drivers can get anywhere between 8 - 15 a day. Drivers are never dinged for them and the cost of a red zone ticket is $98 compared to a $35 side walk parking ticket. Go figure. It's the cost of doing business and drivers are seldom given grief over it from management. The cost of a weekly parking tickets for 1 driver can be in the ball park of under $5000. Now multiply that for the year and thats a lot of revenue for the city. Hence why both ups and the city usually revisit this issue to negotiate the flat rate of tickets they will pay overall. Over course we are talking about a 60% discount of course.
Any parking ticket I've received in the city has been for $75. Double parking, no parking zone, etc. It's all been $75.

No problems here parking downtown. I've seen a hypo pull up with lights on as I walked in to the building but nothing more. We're told to park on the sidewalk in front of the court house.

clean hairy

No problems here parking downtown. I've seen a hypo pull up with lights on as I walked in to the building but nothing more. We're told to park on the sidewalk in front of the court house.
Maybe PARKING on the sidewalk should have been more strongly emphasized to this Driver!

ibleedbrown

that money ups is paying is a drop in the bucket compared to the money and time they would lose if every driver had to find and park in a legal spot.