part time express courier

cosis

Hey been a part time courier for the past 6 months. I do enjoy it but frustrated that I never go out. Basically I arrive for work at 7:30am, load the trucks at the airport, unload the trucks at the station, and then go home. My work day is about 2.5-3 hours long. Should I approach management and ask why I never go out and deliver? I enjoy the benefits and everything but it's almost a waste of time to show up to work for under 3 hours.

Oldfart

Hey been a part time courier for the past 6 months. I do enjoy it but frustrated that I never go out. Basically I arrive for work at 7:30am, load the trucks at the airport, unload the trucks at the station, and then go home. My work day is about 2.5-3 hours long. Should I approach management and ask why I never go out and deliver? I enjoy the benefits and everything but it's almost a waste of time to show up to work for under 3 hours.
Might have a private conversation with your manager and express your desire to go on road more often. Sounds like poor station management if you can't get hours and are basically a handler. Must have hired too many people. It is prime vacation season and you get no hours means your manager has too many couriers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Are you sure you're classified as a courier?

Serf

6 months is a long time. If no routes are available, perhaps try asking to get trained up to take a shuttle to the airport too.

!Retired!

As oldfart said, have a private conversation that you would like to go onroad. Depending on the manager, if you show some initiative, it might go a long way.
2.5-3 hours a day = 12.5-15 hours/week You're getting your minimum pay of 17.5 hours right?

vantexan

As oldfart said, have a private conversation that you would like to go onroad. Depending on the manager, if you show some initiative, it might go a long way.
2.5-3 hours a day = 12.5-15 hours/week You're getting your minimum pay of 17.5 hours right?
My last station had a part-timer who got the minimum a lot of weeks. Delivered First Overnight if any, otherwise helped with the sort. If not enough freight he went home afterwards. When he became the next part timer in line for a FT opening he turned down the harder routes that came open. Finally had a great route open and he thought he had it. A part-timer with more seniority who'd been saying all along he didn't want to go FT suddenly decided to grab it. It was a battle of the laziest! His wife had a good job so for years he was content with a sweet part-time route. Had another part-timer, young married guy with kids, who didn't want to go FT because he'd make too much money and lose his Section 8 apartment. These guys don't think about what they're doing to their retirement down the road.

Oldfart

I don't see how any station that has any volume has P/T people not going on road. We have 85 or so am rts and there is always something for an able bodied person to do to get hrs. How a manager is allowed to hire too many people is odd because I know employee numbers are monitored and sometimes you can't even replace a person when they leave.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My station is so desperate for bodies that they allowed a cover driver to come back who had walked out the day before. And he’s the worst cover driver EVER. SM wouldn’t let the guy’s manager fire him. Lol.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My station is so desperate for bodies that they allowed a cover driver to come back who had walked out the day before. And he’s the worst cover driver EVER. SM wouldn’t let the guy’s manager fire him. Lol.
That is pretty desparate. What made him walk out?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That is pretty desparate. What made him walk out?
He’s just weird. Who knows? Maybe he didn’t get to do the route he wanted to do. Or maybe got mad at one too many writeups for coming back at 2100 on a route that normally finishes by 1700. We call him Beavis because he looks like Beavis from that MTV show.

Express Courier

First thing that came to mind is you may really suck as a courier so you are last on the list to ask to stay. However even the suckiest couriers still go on road at my station. Usually see this problem shortly after peak. But anyway, let it be known you'd like to stay more doing whatever and they should look to you more (unless you really, realllllly suck).

oldngray

nowhere special
He’s just weird. Who knows? Maybe he didn’t get to do the route he wanted to do. Or maybe got mad at one too many writeups for coming back at 2100 on a route that normally finishes by 1700. We call him Beavis because he looks like Beavis from that MTV show.
jobs_04.jpg

cosis

Yep I get the minimum pay which is nice.

cosis

First thing that came to mind is you may really suck as a courier so you are last on the list to ask to stay. However even the suckiest couriers still go on road at my station. Usually see this problem shortly after peak. But anyway, let it be known you'd like to stay more doing whatever and they should look to you more (unless you really, realllllly suck).

Nah I don't suck but since I never go out on the road it makes it hard to get a good enough feel for the area.