Part time for life?

Notcool

Not my goal but I know many in my hub that have 15 or 20 years plus in as pt. I could be in 25 in 15 more years. Is it possible lol? Is it a decent living once you hit 25 an hr or so? My goal is to drive but I failed the test due to lack of experience with stick shift. I plain to buy a beater to learn.

jbg77

I know people that have been pt for 20 ish years. They make pretty well pt. I personally am waiting to drive as working pt and having another full-time jobs while also being a ptcd sucks. I'd rather drive fulltime, work less hours, and make more money than do all 3 of the above for less...just my preference.

rod

Retired 22 years
There were two part timers who retired from my old center a couple of years ago after 35 years. They were working under old contracts so they were making drivers wages.

barnyard

KTM rider
There was 1 guy at my center that retired at 25 years PT, he was red-circled at driver's wages. There are a couple of people getting close to 20, that have no intention of driving.

It is not that hard to do the math to figure how much a PTer would be making over time. Most of the contracts, PTers have averaged $1/hr raise each year of the contract.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Not my goal but I know many in my hub that have 15 or 20 years plus in as pt. I could be in 25 in 15 more years. Is it possible lol? Is it a decent living once you hit 25 an hr or so? My goal is to drive but I failed the test due to lack of experience with stick shift. I plain to buy a beater to learn.
Well the trick to being part time is to have a second job.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Part time for life. I thought this was another Obamacare thread when I read this title. All companies are hiring now is part time to get around the law. lol

tre305

no longer a UPSer but when i was, i had two people in particular in my building that were part time and had over 20 years in. one was a clerk and one was a pre-loader. the lady who was a clerk easily made more than a top pay rate driver.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
no longer a UPSer but when i was, i had two people in particular in my building that were part time and had over 20 years in. one was a clerk and one was a pre-loader. the lady who was a clerk easily made more than a top pay rate driver.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1452646922.740388.jpg

tre305

Clerk making more than a full time seniority driver
"Top pay rate driver "

We'll correct me it I'm wrong but a top pay rate Driver is around $33/hour right? The clerk has been there since the 80s and, again correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a salary cap for inside hourly workers? Given that they stay inside and don't move up to PC Driver or go into management. So I would think she's somewhere around $40/hour

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We'll correct me it I'm wrong but a top pay rate Driver is around $33/hour right? The clerk has been there since the 80s and, again correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a salary cap for inside hourly workers? Given that they stay inside and don't move up to PC Driver or go into management. So I would think she's somewhere around $40/hour
Do you just make this stuff up
SMH!!!

PT Car Washer

Pretty sure you are wrong about that. Most clerks are non skilled jobs. Just like a PT or FT car washer or unloader or porter(janitor). $1.05 less then a sorter or preload job. Sorters are about $.50 less then FT package car drivers. At least that is the wage scale in my building.

Overpaid Union Thug

what are you not understanding?
Clerk making more than a full time seniority driver
"Top pay rate driver "
Do you just make this stuff up
SMH!!!
Pretty sure you are wrong about that. Most clerks are non skilled jobs. Just like a PT or FT car washer or unloader or porter(janitor). $1.05 less then a sorter or preload job. Sorters are about $.50 less then FT package car drivers. At least that is the wage scale in my building.

He might be right. We have a clerk that is making "pretty close" (they won't divulge the exact amount) to what a driver makes. They are red circled. Been around for nearly 40 years.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Those red circled jobs were part-timers making almost or the same as a full-time driver PER HOUR. They are still getting part-time hours, not 45-50 hours a week like a driver. When these people retire, those jobs are bid at present day pay rates.

PT Car Washer

Those red circled jobs were part-timers making almost or the same as a full-time driver PER HOUR. They are still getting part-time hours, not 45-50 hours a week like a driver. When these people retire, those jobs are bid at present day pay rates.
You are exactly right. But of course making $30 to $40k a year (or more) working PT is not a bad deal. On top of 7 weeks vacation and a pretty good pension whenever we do retire. Thank you UPS. Thank you Teamsters for $10/hr and no benefits.

No_Member_Name

the trick is to get your certifications. Certified sorter, $1 raise, irreg belt certified, $1 raise, mule car license $1 raise. It all adds up, and with the yearly raises.....20 years in and your making over 30 an hour. I have no plans on going FT, give me my 20 hours and benifits and see u next week