Part time management to full time driver letter

UPSTtown87

I am considering turning in my letter to go from being a part time sup to driving and was wandering if someone could post or send me a copy of a sample letter so I will have an idea of what to do in the letter

UPSGUY72

I am considering turning in my letter to go from being a part time sup to driving and was wandering if someone could post or send me a copy of a sample letter so I will have an idea of what to do in the letter

First they need to be hiring drivers in your area then they have to pick 6 guys from the inside before they pick one from the outside. You are considered a outside person. Then they have to choose you over any casual drivers that they have working or worked for in the past and might want to give a chance to become a FT driver. The casual have a better chance than you because they don't have to send them to school or train them.

Good luck

I don't have a letter but I would do it. Part time sup is a dead end whipping boy position for most. If you become a driver don't go back and consider yourself pardoned by God with your second chance and he's saying don't blow it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And when they tell you "you have completed 6 mths on road now put in your letter for ft mgmt" you say, Ah no I kinda like it here where I get paid for all my hours, and I have some protection. Period.

TheKid

Toonertoo,
I did that exact same thiing 20 yrs. ago and I am so happy I did. I was on the road for 9 months when I was put on the list. When my center manager gave me the news he said that is step one in your plan . . . right ? I said . . . "no thanks . . . I am all set "

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Toonertoo,
I did that exact same thiing 20 yrs. ago and I am so happy I did. I was on the road for 9 months when I was put on the list. When my center manager gave me the news he said that is step one in your plan . . . right ? I said . . . "no thanks . . . I am all set "

It was 19 ago for me.
I felt I was treated so shabbily, as a pt sup, that I didnt want to give anymore of my prime years, to a company who could rule your livelihood at a whim. Although I had some great sups and cms along the way, who I felt totally confident with, they get moved like we change undies, at that time. Then you get a snake in the grass who can make your life a living hell. And at least now I get paid for the occasional snake who makes my life hell.:greedy::peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It was 32 years ago for me. Drove for a year and went into management. Have never regretted going into management but I still look back on driving as my favorite job at UPS. Of course that was back in the days with paper clipboard, no air, etc.

PS - as you can see, if you have a degree in childhood psychology, it will be very helpful if you do get to drive and become an On-Road Supervisor. :wink2:

UPSTtown87

Toonertoo,

I believe they are doing the 1:6 street hire this summer so I am wanting to get this letter turned in do you know what all really needs to be in the letter. I have just heard that I need to express my interest in becoming a driver and a work history as far as jobs I have done or held at UPS since I have been there

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just state your dedication to an employer, your willingness to work long and hard hours, your goal for the future, aka making UPS your career. Your schooling, your education and your experience. How well you work as a team as well as alone. Basically, you will be a dependable employee. Your past record will show this. Your ability to navigate areas, (reading a map I hear is a test, good thing it wasnt when I got hired) Your athleticism, your community work, all helps.
Your driving record clean, no legal problems, I dont know if they check credit scores.