Part time mechanic?

PeterPotatoes

Hello all.
So I am currently looking for a diesel mechanic job and have been putting my resume out to multiple places. Yesterday i get a call from HR that they want to talk...... but its a part time job. I've heard of drivers and other positions doing that but a mechanic? Am i just waisting my time doing this? Do they normally hire full time mechanic through the part time position? I guess also am i going to have to duck wrenches being thrown at me for being a scab or is this accepted by the full-time union guys? I know at my last place if a scab were to show up, he would get treated pretty poorly from the union guys.

Any kind of info will help, thanks for your time.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I guess also am i going to have to duck wrenches being thrown at me for being a scab or is this accepted by the full-time union guys? I know at my last place if a scab were to show up, he would get treated pretty poorly from the union guys.
Do your job well and don't let people harass you and you'll be fine. I think most guys just want a mechanic who fixes their vehicles well.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
What strikes me as odd about this situation is usually they have a hiring metric. If it adds up to 2.5 mechanics, only 2 get hired as fulltimers. No part time.

Last edited:

astoneburner

I started as part time mechanic .after two years went full time and on the 29th I am retiring with 30 and out in the machinist pension.
Do a good job and you will get the next full time position.dont do good work and they will pass you up.
Good luck

PeterPotatoes

Thanks for the replys guys. Sorry, i worded it wrong. Im going to start seasonal work not part time. I worked at a strong union and they would call non union men scabs, i assumed seasonal work would be non union. If it comes down to my work ethic then i wont have problems. I just haven't heard of mechanics who work for a month that would get represented by the union.

PeterPotatoes

I started as part time mechanic .after two years went full time and on the 29th I am retiring with 30 and out in the machinist pension.
Do a good job and you will get the next full time position.dont do good work and they will pass you up.
Good luck
Two years? Ouch, i was told they will give me one month then i have to wait for the next seasonal opening. I would really like to get this job but cant pay bills with no work for a few months.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We have one FT mechanic per 30 trucks with a max of 40 trucks per FT mechanic. They have to have 30 trucks to assign to a mech to make him FT.

We have 101 trucks.

We have two full time mechs and one PT mech. Both FTmers have 40 trucks and the ptmer has 21.

Ain't that a bitch?!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Two years? Ouch, i was told they will give me one month then i have to wait for the next seasonal opening. I would really like to get this job but cant pay bills with no work for a few months.
Do like the rednecks around here do throw a chain around a big tree and wrench on other peoples junk for cash$$$

PeterPotatoes

Well i did orientation today, its a facility maintenance job..... the description was about working on vehicles but whatever. Looks like my chances are good and ill stick with it till a mechanic position opens up. Its seasonal, you pay into the union so that makes sense on why the union doesn't throw a fit.
There was six of us right at the start, one of the first things brought up was how you have to shave, that took us down to three haha.
Tomorrow ill get interviewed by one of the head maintenance guys, then ill know for sure.
Do like the rednecks around here do throw a chain around a big tree and wrench on other peoples junk for cash$$$
haha, i think ill just do some b/s mechanic job and run out when the seasonal starts again. From now till dec ill work, sep is the month I guess i have to take off.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We have one FT mechanic per 30 trucks with a max of 40 trucks per FT mechanic. They have to have 30 trucks to assign to a mech to make him FT.

We have 101 trucks.

We have two full time mechs and one PT mech. Both FTmers have 40 trucks and the ptmer has 21.

Ain't that a bitch?!
Until recently, I had over 50 pieces assigned to me. Now I have about 40.