Part time Package Handler to full time driver

Greetings all! My name is charlie. I’m from the greater Philadelphia area, looking to make a career of being a UPS driver. Looking to work as a package handler pt at this one location. Was just wondering what’s the estimated time frame is to move up to be a driver Is. I spoke with hiring managers there and mention that at the airport hub they mentioned I’d have to work in the floor for a year before putting my bid in and see if I get it based on the needs of the facility. The office workers at the hub I was at looked at me like I was crazy and said yeah it’s a lot faster than one year. So I said just to clarify, full time driver and not a seasonal gig right? They was like yes...so idk if theyre bs-Ing me or it really is that fast at that location.

Sorry for rambling, just looking to get started on a career and hoping this path to be a driver life changing for me! Cheers 🍻

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Greetings all! My name is charlie. I’m from the greater Philadelphia area, looking to make a career of being a UPS driver. Looking to work as a package handler pt at this one location. Was just wondering what’s the estimated time frame is to move up to be a driver Is. I spoke with hiring managers there and mention that at the airport hub they mentioned I’d have to work in the floor for a year before putting my bid in and see if I get it based on the needs of the facility. The office workers at the hub I was at looked at me like I was crazy and said yeah it’s a lot faster than one year. So I said just to clarify, full time driver and not a seasonal gig right? They was like yes...so idk if theyre bs-Ing me or it really is that fast at that location.

Sorry for rambling, just looking to get started on a career and hoping this path to be a driver life changing for me! Cheers 🍻
Depends on the location. For me it took 3 years. Other people I’ve talked to it’s taken 10.

PT Car Washer

Where I am you can not transfer from the airport to package cars. Start as a Hub or preload and you can bid after 6 months but will take you sooner to full fill the 6 PT to 1 off the street hire ratio in the contract. Your local could be different but do not trust UPS HR to tell you the truth. Their only job is to fill jobs not look after what is best for you.

542thruNthru

Do you know what local union you are?

Where I am you can not transfer from the airport to package cars. Start as a Hub or preload and you can bid after 6 months but will take you sooner to full fill the 6 PT to 1 off the street hire ratio in the contract. Your local could be different but do not trust UPS HR to tell you the truth. Their only job is to fill jobs not look after what is best for you.
Yeah I was thinking I’ll do package handler and get my name on the bid list as soon as possible! Yeah I kind of think HR was bs-ing me when they said it doesn’t take too long to become a driver lol thanks for the insight!

MattM

In my airport hub, you can sign up to drive and they’ll just transfer you to that hub. You can never come back though. It’s the same bid list here as there.
It may all be location specific.
When I started, the driving wait was 3-4 years. Now it’s 3-4 months.

and then it’s luck of the draw. Some new guys go in as combo and get 60-70 hours right away. Some come in and cover drive or combo work and drive some days and work inside the hub other days.
Work this season and sign up for driver helper. See if it’s for you.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

With the new 22.4 jobs being filled it could be a year or less depending on your building.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service

Hello, the length of time it takes depends on the needs of the operation. I was hired "off the street" as a driver a few years ago. Yes, there is lots of BS involved. When I applied, it was listed as FT permanent driver, but ended up being seasonal. However, after a short layoff, I was rehired permanently as a driver. I'm constantly seeing new drivers, especially this year, so your chances look promising.
I’m not sure what the local union is! How can I find that out?
It's Local 623.

Sounds good! Thanks for everyone’s response! I went in to the hub I’m trying to work at but they said the package handler shift (5pm-10pm) I’m trying to work is full. They said that they’re having a hiring event in a week and that shift I want should be opening up around November. That works out for me Bc I’m still working landscaping and my season is over at the end of November or maybe first week of December depending how the weather goes. As soon as I get the job, I’m going to work hard for sure and hopefully that wait to become a driver isn’t long

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Sounds good! Thanks for everyone’s response! I went in to the hub I’m trying to work at but they said the package handler shift (5pm-10pm) I’m trying to work is full. They said that they’re having a hiring event in a week and that shift I want should be opening up around November. That works out for me Bc I’m still working landscaping and my season is over at the end of November or maybe first week of December depending how the weather goes. As soon as I get the job, I’m going to work hard for sure and hopefully that wait to become a driver isn’t long
Don’t count your chickens before they hatch young one...being hired in November during the “ hiring” aka “seasonal” event is a bad sign. You’ll be working the morning shift ( 12am-8:30 am ) when you start, then be fired shortly after peak.
🧔✊

MattM

Also don’t hold onto those times as concrete. Most hub guys are pushing 7-9 hour days in good times, and nearly 10-11 when peak hits. They’re also changing their hours constantly

You’re also starting at a bad time. Just sign up to drive and have a backup plan. Give yourself 2 months to 3 years to go to drive.

10YR 4/6

If you work at PHL you are in local 623. Get seniority first then look for for bid sheets to be posted in January. You can bid for a package car position at either the airport location or the Oregon Avenue building. Both buildings are hiring off the street right now.

If you work at PHL you are in local 623. Get seniority first then look for for bid sheets to be posted in January. You can bid for a package car position at either the airport location or the Oregon Avenue building. Both buildings are hiring off the street right now.
Oh wow I did see some post for that! Is it seasonal or permanent position? I’ve seen some post for package handler at both locations but they one I was aiming for was no longer available. I wish they had some sort of contact information. I should of asked when I went to the building. I gave them my number at least but they probably just tucked it away somewhere and forgot about it by now.

Btw this is probably the best forum I’ve been on lol everyone has been really helpful and respond super fast! Thank you for that.

I’ve been debating if I want to start a landscaping business bc I have a pretty good foundation of knowledge, clients etc but it’s not all year round work. I guess it could be year round but it’s not as profitable during peak season. And its man hard finding good crewman. That’s why I’ve been looking into ups driver job

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Hog Island’s where it’s at