Part Time package Supervisor$$$

racerchaser

Today I was asked about becoming a Part Time Supervisor. Does anyone know how much they make weekly. I know you can't tell me exact but ballpark would help me with my decision.

konsole

If your talking about the belt supervisors my guess would be that they work for about 4.25 hours at around $16 per hour start. So roughly $325-$350 per week. Like I said though thats guesstimate. If they get paid hourly then you take into consideration that they start about 30 minutes before the shift and leave about 15 minutes after the shift so about 45 minutes longer then their subordinates. I honestly have no idea exactly what their pay is and if they get paid hourly or salary, but from what I have head its seems that the $15-20/hr is about what it works out to be. If you just started at UPS its not a terrible idea because your pay will go up a good amount, but it will also give UPS the ability to do whatever they want with you, either fill in for some preloader somewhere or even fire you for minor things.

If your use your health benefits alot and or you have been with UPS for a little while and have gotten up to atleast $13/hr or so its probably not worth it becoming a PT preload supervisor.

BLACKBALLED

I have been local sort supervisor for nearly four years, if I would have stayed hourly i would have been driving, if it was for the office oms maybe; but pt local sort sup. is a very underappreciated job and you are not treated very well by mngmt. stay union and wait your turn to drive, you will make a grave mistake if you take it! I guarantee it, I was told not to did not listen and have major regrets! DO NOT DO IT! I should have been driving and was passed up because noone wants to take my position because they see the way I am treated, do not do IT! For your sake and your families. You will regret it!

Hubrat98

I've been a part time supervisor for roughly ten years and i make about $2000 a month gross. I don't know what the new starting rate is but i would guess it's about $1500 a month. You are paid an hourly rate with a guarantee of 27.5 hours a week (5.5 a day). This is similar to a salaried employee since you need not actually work the 27.5 to get paid the hours. However, if you work more than 27.5 in a week you get paid your hourly rate for any time worked over the guarantee.

In the past year the "overtime" (no time and a half) has been very limited due to the economy. In years past I have probably averaged around 32 hours a week.

Like a previous poster stated I wouldn't do it for the $. Not worth the blood sweat and tears. The only reason I could see going into this position is if it's the only way to get tuition assistance in your building. And if you're doing it for the tuition assistance do yourself a favor and STAY IN SCHOOL, otherwise the P.T. supervisor position is a dead end.

If I would have stayed in the union I would have been a top rate driver for several years already making 70K a year instead of less than 30k. No sour grapes here. Just my personal experience.

christian c

The PT supervisors that I know regret taking the position. One of the major reasons is actually the money. UPS will make it sound good because you immediately get bumped up in pay. However, the annual raises for pt sups are less than the union raises, so after a while a union worker will actually be paid more than a sup that has been there the same amount of time.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have been local sort supervisor for nearly four years, if I would have stayed hourly i would have been driving, if it was for the office oms maybe; but pt local sort sup. is a very underappreciated job and you are not treated very well by mngmt. stay union and wait your turn to drive, you will make a grave mistake if you take it! I guarantee it, I was told not to did not listen and have major regrets! DO NOT DO IT! I should have been driving and was passed up because noone wants to take my position because they see the way I am treated, do not do IT! For your sake and your families. You will regret it!
I agree with this statement, 100%.
You get stuck and there is no way out. I was stuck for 8 yrs, now Im fifty something with 25 yrs, and Ill have to work til Im like 90 to get a decent retirement. If you want to do it to have it on a resume, do it with a limit you place on yourself, if you are young and then go if it isnt promising, do not get stuck with dangling carrots. Or you will be 50 something with 8 yrs pt, and 17 ft. It is great experience and great money for pt, but you get older every day. Dont waste a degree.

Mapp

Choo Choo
Whatever you do, make sure you are putting away for retirement. I put atleast 15% away in my 401k.

As for pay, I'm averaging about 21.60 per hour, and have had multiple offers for full-time Management, but want to finish my Degree first therefore I always have something to fall back on and UPS(Management) can't screw me. However I'm the exception and not the rule.

It all comes down to your Manager, UPS is a great company and to some extent I bleed brown, But some managers are *******s and will make you responsible for everything while your lazy co-worker part time sup almost sabotages your operation and then blame your for not making your numbers. Others will give you nothing but praise and treat you fairly and respect you. I've been through 6-7 managers in 3 years and the split is about 50/50.
I've been at UPS for almost 3 years. I've done every P/T sup position there is.

The problem at UPS is that if you do a good job and care about the Company Management will give you more and ****tier work, Its across the board, not just as a driver. So there is actually incentive to not do a good job which is a huge issue holding this company back, Why would I want to run a 100 pph on an 85 pph plan when next year I.E. will just say "Well now you need to run 107 pph" you are essentially screwing yourself. UPS needs to eliminate most of I.E.

Expect your pay to be around 14 an hour. You can take the Mapp test and then they will give you an offer of pay and you can still refuse at that point. I doubt they'd up the pay and don't believe there is any place for negotiating, atleast part-time.

I can tell you this, If I *do* go full-time as UPS I will never work in Small PKG.

Also, Your workers can make or break you, if they respect you and you treat them fairly they will work harder for you.

Hubrat98

As for pay, I'm averaging about 21.60 per hour.
I've been at UPS for almost 3 years.

How many hours a week do you average, and what kind of crazy raises have you gotten to be at 21.60 after only 3 years? I've had some very good raises compared to my peers and I'm not even at 21.60 with three times as much seniority as you.

Last edited:

Mapp

Choo Choo
How many hours a week do you average, and what kind of crazy raises have you gotten to be at 21.60 after only 3 years? I've had some very good raises compared to my peers and I'm not even at 21.60 with three times as much seniority as you.

As I said, I'm the exception, not the rule.

I"ll send you a P.M.
Also, here is a good quote to remember in Management.

: The Unknown Ideal, 255.
There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. The man who is wrong still retains some respect for truth, if only by accepting the responsibility of choice. But the man in the middle is the knave who blanks out the truth in order to pretend that no choice or values exist, who is willing to sit out the course of any battle, willing to cash in on the blood of the innocent or to crawl on his belly to the guilty, who dispenses justice by condemning both the robber and the robbed to jail, who shoves conflicts by ordering the thinker and the fool to meet each other halfway. In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit. In that transfusion of blood which drains the good to feed the evil, the compromiser is the transmitting rubber tube . . .
When men reduce their virtues to the approximate, then evil acquires the force of an absolute, when loyalty to an unyielding purpose is dropped by the virtuous, it’s picked up by scoundrels—and you get the indecent spectacle of a cringing, bargaining, traitorous good and a self-righteously uncompromising evil.
-Ayn Rand

Sorry Union Guys, I do like Ayn Rand.

Last edited:

Buffaloaf

Ugh. I hate Rand. Terrible philosophies. But that is besides. Mapp, can you send me a pm regarding how you've gotten such a high payrate as a pt sup. I've been one longer than you've worked there and don't make that high either. Thanks.

BLACKBALLED

as i said, i'm the exception, not the rule.

I"ll send you a p.m.
Also, here is a good quote to remember in management.

: The unknown ideal, 255.
There are two sides to every issue: One side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. The man who is wrong still retains some respect for truth, if only by accepting the responsibility of choice. But the man in the middle is the knave who blanks out the truth in order to pretend that no choice or values exist, who is willing to sit out the course of any battle, willing to cash in on the blood of the innocent or to crawl on his belly to the guilty, who dispenses justice by condemning both the robber and the robbed to jail, who shoves conflicts by ordering the thinker and the fool to meet each other halfway. in any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit. In that transfusion of blood which drains the good to feed the evil, the compromiser is the transmitting rubber tube . . .
When men reduce their virtues to the approximate, then evil acquires the force of an absolute, when loyalty to an unyielding purpose is dropped by the virtuous, it’s picked up by scoundrels—and you get the indecent spectacle of a cringing, bargaining, traitorous good and a self-righteously uncompromising evil.
-ayn rand

sorry union guys, i do like ayn rand.

send me a pm on how you got that pay rate i have been sup. For a few years.

Last edited:

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
Lies lies lies. No P/T supervisor can make that much in 3 years, unless you received some ridiculous raises over the past two years. I have received the highest raises in my building (about 4%) for the past two years.

The only P/T sups I know making that rate have been with the company for 15-20 years.

Mapp

Choo Choo
Lies lies lies. No P/T supervisor can make that much in 3 years, unless you received some ridiculous raises over the past two years. I have received the highest raises in my building (about 4%) for the past two years.

The only P/T sups I know making that rate have been with the company for 15-20 years.

You most certainly can. You just aren't thinking outside the box.

I'm not gonna send anymore P.M.s Hubrat98 knows why I make so much.
I'm the exception, not the rule. You cannot go from either off the street or from a part-time insider to part-time management and make the kind of money I make. However say you were a 22.3 or an air driver then you could.:peaceful: